Digitech Whammy Wah questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digitech Whammy Wah questions

I want to stick with my PRS guitars live but I still need the occassional dive bomb or pull up effect. Out of the 60-70 songs we have to choose from live I probably only need to whammy up or down on 5 or 6 of them so I don't need anything too involved. What should I be looking for? I will need to score one in the next few days.

Re: Digitech Whammy Wah questions

What about the pitch bend function for the GT-6 expression pedal?
    Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It works but it doesn't sound like a whammy pedal.

Comment

I've got an XP100 Whammy/Wah (I've been thinking about selling it on and off because I really don't use it much). I bought it new in '97, and it's in perfect working condition and excellent shape. The wahs/auto wahs, whammy and divebomb patches sound cool, the harmony patches are a little digital sounding, the detuner function sounds great for chorus-type sounds, and it's also got a volume pedal patch, tuner and noise gate. The built-in noise gate works well, but the unit still seems to induce a little annoying hiss when not playing, IMO. I've never tried my Boss NS2 or MXR noise gate in front of it, but I'm not sure if it would clear up the hiss or not. It's a tone-sucker in front of the amp, too! And if you put the pedal in an effects loop, it makes the wahs sound crappy, but the harmony patches sound a little bit beter there, I think. I haven't played it in awhile. Maybe I'll bust it out in a little while and try it before my GT-8 arrives some time today. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I've got an XP100 Whammy/Wah (I've been thinking about selling it on and off because I really don't use it much). I bought it new in '97, and it's in perfect working condition and excellent shape. The wahs/auto wahs, whammy and divebomb patches sound cool, the harmony patches are a little digital sounding, the detuner function sounds great for chorus-type sounds, and it's also got a volume pedal patch, tuner and noise gate. The built-in noise gate works well, but the unit still seems to induce a little annoying hiss when not playing, IMO. I've never tried my Boss NS2 or MXR noise gate in front of it, but I'm not sure if it would clear up the hiss or not. And if you put the pedal in an effects loop, it makes the wahs sound crappy, but the harmony patches sound a little bit beter there, I think. I haven't played it in awhile. Maybe I'll bust it out in a little while and try it before my GT8 arrives some time today. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Joe, will the tuner work if I tune 1/2 step down to d#?
          Also, say I was playing Photograph by Def Leppard and I needed to whammy down for the intro to the guitar solo, would I leave the whammy pedal on for the entire song or would I click it on for the dive bomb and click it off as soon as the dive bomb is over? Is the change in guitar tone very noticable?

Comment

Yes, the tuner will work fine for tuning down. And for the whammy down intro of Photograph, you would click off the whammy right after or else you'd be playing down the rest of the time. It's kinda cool in that regard if you want to drop tune without actually doing it on your guitar. I think the pedal's kind of a tone-sucker without having a true bypass switch in it personally.

Comment

You can click it on/off or just pull the pedal all the way back up (toe up position). With it in the toe up position there is no pitch change, at least with the Whammy 4.

Nevermind - you would get the sound of the pitch going up when you rock it back. Just click it off after the dive bomb. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Nevermind again - even if you do a dive with a trem it has to return to pitch anyway. Don't mind me, I'm tired and have a million things on my mind. [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                You can click it on/off or just pull the pedal all the way back up (toe up position). With it in the toe up position there is no pitch change, at least with the Whammy 4.

[/ QUOTE ]
                Oh yeah, that's right, you can just put the pedal back to heel down position. I forget since I haven't used it in awhile.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Yes, the tuner will work fine for tuning down. And for the whammy down intro of Photograph, you would click off the whammy right after or else you'd be playing down the rest of the time. It's kinda cool in that regard if you want to drop tune without actually doing it on your guitar. I think the pedal's kind of a tone-sucker without having a true bypass switch in it personally.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, many of the reviews state that it really sucks tone. It probably wouldn't suck much tone out of my rig though because I could put it in the loop of the GT-6 which can be bypassed so I could only activate it when I need it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just got 2 emails from GT-6 Central telling me there is a way to set up the pitch bend on the GT-6 to sound extremely close to a whammy pedal. I will have to dive deeper into it tonight when I get home. I will post my results later.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Nevermind - you would get the sound of the pitch going up when you rock it back. Just click it off after the dive bomb. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                      If you have it on one of the patches that does two different functions, like octave up (toe down) or octave down (heel down), then you'd definitely have to click the pedal off. For just a normal dive, it does start at the heel in normal tuning and dives with the toe down.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just got 2 emails from GT-6 Central telling me there is a way to set up the pitch bend on the GT-6 to sound extremely close to a whammy pedal. I will have to dive deeper into it tonight when I get home. I will post my results later.

[/ QUOTE ]
                        Cool. Let me know how it goes. I'm anxiously awaiting my GT-8 today... stupid UPS probably won't be here until the end of the day, but they surprise me once in awhile and sometimes come early. I'll be doing a lot of reading through the big manual to see what all the features and stuff this thing can do! I don't use whammy all that much, but I really do like the octave or two octave up settings once in a while, and it would be cool to have something close to Digitech's version.

Comment

If there's any way to get reasonably close to the sound you want using the Boss, definitely do that instead of getting the Digitech. I bought one years ago and it was essentially unusable due to the tone-sucking. That has been my experience with every DOD/Digitech product I've ever had the displeasure of owning.
                          sigpic

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
                            I can't wait to hear your results John! If it works, I could sell my Korg AX1500G, Whammy, CH-1, maybe my BF-2, and I wouldn't need to buy a wah. Then get a GT-6 on closeout from MF. So far, I haven't found a multi-effect board with a good whammy - even Digitech's own GNXs!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              [ QUOTE ]
                              [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
                              I can't wait to hear your results John! If it works, I could sell my Korg AX1500G, Whammy, CH-1, maybe my BF-2, and I wouldn't need to buy a wah. Then get a GT-6 on closeout from MF. So far, I haven't found a multi-effect board with a good whammy - even Digitech's own GNXs!

[/ QUOTE ]

The last GT-6 that sold on Ebay went for $250.00!! That is a heck of a bargain.

Comment

Working...
                              X