Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldano SP-77 questions...

I have a few questions:
    Since this is a 2 channel preamp clean/dirty with no effects loop how do you get solo boost?
    How do you hook up time based effects or a G-Major?? My experience has always been that delays sound like total ass in front of an amp and must be placed in the loop.
    So many pro players use this preamp I just can't figure out how. An effects loop to me is mandatory unless the amp has an adjustable solo boost feature like many of the Rectifiers have.

Re: Soldano SP-77 questions...

It's a line level output, you run your effects after the preamp and before the poweramp. No loop necessary.
    Adjust your volume changes in your effects.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      It's a line level output, you run your effects after the preamp and before the poweramp. No loop necessary.
      Adjust your volume changes in your effects.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Chuck!!! That explains it.

Comment

i want to try the x88r.
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Yep, what Chuck said. Great bang for the bucks preamp, I just didn't care a lot for the clean channel. The lead channel was 80s metal squared though. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

I'd like to try one as well. I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Comment

They're great bang-for-buck. I used one into a Mesa 50/50 for a while. They're definitely the little kid brother of the SLO. However, if you're used to the SLO, the SP-77 definitely is a bit thin and lacks punch (even through the SLO power section). I always ran some delay or reverb on leads to thicken up the SP-77 and I always ran some effects on the clean to liven it up.

Comment

I used them into a Mesa 50/50 too!!! And i hook them up to a VHT 2x12 Cab. Nice little preamp. VERY 80s sounding.

Fong

Comment

My friend had a Decatone that he bought from my store used, it had some tube problems so he had to return it...we looked at the SP77 as an alternative but it just didn't sound as good and the clean channel was definitely lacking.

Comment

The key to the clean channel is that you cannot use high output pickups into it or it sounds very boxy. It sounds ok with lower output pickups: not great, but as good as most high gain amps clean channels. All Soldanos suffer with this on the clean channel to a certain extent, but the SP-77 is considerably worse than the heads.

Comment

Hi,
                      I'm just wondering- is £300 a reasonable price for one of these? Also be interested if anyone can give me an idea of what kind of sound (thrash!) it's capable of- eg is it more mesa or marshall, bassy, middy? I've got a jmp-1 into the marshall el34 50/50 at the moment, but I'd consider giving the sp77 a go...
                      cheers
                      C

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        i want to try the x88r.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have one, it's cool. Don't really like the middle channel, sounds kind of blah to me. You need the impossible to find dedicated FS with the older ones, or they are a pain in the ass to use. Soldano can mod them for a later switch, but I think it was $300.

Experiment with tubes in the SP77, I liked old Telefunkens in the one I had. The OD wasn't quite as smooth as the X88r, but I liked it. Not built anywhere near as heavy duty as the X88r, but it is a fraction of the price, so you get what you pay for. SP77 is a lot of preamp for the money!

Comment

i love that model on the pod 2.0. i wish they would bring that over to the xt series like they did with the "L6 Treadplate". i would love to hear the real thing though.
                          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

yeah, the x88r is the best sound on the pod

Comment

A major factor as to how this preamp sounds is the power amp you are running it through. This is a great pre when run through a good tube power amp but it sounds horrible (to me) through SS. You also need to be conservative with the highs when using this pre, as they can be very potent.
                              Overall, its a kick ass unit that offers tons of BFTB.

Comment

Working...
                              X