Randall Cyclone and Titan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Randall Cyclone and Titan?

Does anyone have any experience with these? I am planning to get one of these, heard nothing but good things. I am looking for a solid modern metal type crunch without really cranking the volume up and breaking the bank.

Re: Randall Cyclone and Titan?

The Cyclone can be considered close sounding to the Peavey XXL. It is FANTASTIC for modern metal. Perfect for a SS amp actually. Loud too. I love Randall amps. I have yet to play one that didn't sound great.
    The Titan is another outstanding metal amp. The V-Max is a monster. Their RM with the modules is another great amp. Combo's or heads, you can't go wrong with Randall.
    Also, the Cyclone and Titan sound great from whisper bedroom level to concert volumes.

Comment

Well, I actually caught a band performing with one guitarist using one of those Randall Cyclones last week. I wasn't too impressed. The other guitarist was running a 5150 Fullstack (dialed in not very nicely, gain was at 8 [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img] and mids were down at like 1 [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img]) and the bassist was running an SVT4 Pro with a fridge. The guitar player in question had a Cyclone with two Marshall cabs and his tone was quite brittle and very harsh on the ear. There was very little beef that was cutting through and just too much of that high end brittle tone. I got up close and took a peek at his settings and nothing looked too strange or out of place. So for a live application I have to give it a negative. I'm also in the "I don't like the XXL in a live situation" club.

For a bedroom application, I've played through some of the Randall Combos and I always thought that they sounded pretty nice at low volumes. Like the XXL, I think that at home at lower volumes these sound pretty good.

Have you tried any of the Marshall 8100's? The lead guitarist from Funeral Age (a band I used to play with) used one of these live and at practice and I always thought that they sounded very nice at low volume and gig volumes. I don't know if it'll be able to get you the modern metal tones that the XXL and Randall SS heads will get you.

Comment

I 5150 full stack will certainly put a Cyclone in its place but then again it really isn't apples to apples. If you side by side listened to an XXL and Cyclone you would see the similarities. Regarding bang for little bucks, the Cyclone and Titan are nice amps. They are harsh and brittle sounding though. I agree 100%. That is basically the sound of alot of the new modern metal out there anyway.

Comment

I have a Cyclone halfstack (RA412XL cab) for about 4 months now and i'm pretty happy with it. I agree with everything that has been said so far (except for the gig stuff; I don't gig). I just play at home and if a solid modern metal sound at low volume is what you're after then this amp will get you there. I don't know about breaking the bank though because it was pretty expensive when I got it. Just to let you know, Randall discontinued making the Cyclone.

Comment

If I recall, the Cyclone is basically the same amp as the Warhead without the built in effects.

Comment

Then it must suck... Cuz the warhead is absolutely horrid... hahaha...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I don't know about breaking the bank though because it was pretty expensive when I got it. Just to let you know, Randall discontinued making the Cyclone.

[/ QUOTE ]
                Yeah I know, I am looking for a deal on ebay. They go for under 500 dollars, sometimes considerably less than that... That is exactly what I mean with "without breaking the bank" for an amp head.

Comment

Have you thought of one of those Tech 21 Trademark heads? If I were going solid-state, that would be my first stop.

Comment

I have a Randall RH100G2 halfstack (Avatar 4x12 w/V30s) and it rocks. It has a good clean channel and the 2 different gains are useful. The gain2 would be the modern metal distortion you're looking for. I haven't cranked it yet though, so I can't comment on that. But it sounds great at low volumes.

Forgot the important part - $400 new!
                    Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

I don't care about the clean channels... I need one sound and that is tight crunchy Swedish-type hi-gain sound. I know 5150 has to be the cure for that, but unfortunately my living conditions right now don't allow me to crank that. I need an amp which can give me a tight rhythm sound at low volume levels.

I am guessing from the clips I have heard and reviews I have read Cyclone can be a decent substitute. If not, it is ok. It is cheap enough to take the risk...

Comment

Well, I think the 5150s get most of their tone from the preamp really. Mine gave me great tone at living room levels. I miss them very much actually.

Comment

I agree. I was at GC two weeks ago and they had a 5150II I tried out. It was my first time playing through any type of 5150..........and I fukkin loved it! I had this preconception that a 5150 had to be cranked but it doesn't. I was playing it at house levels and it was awesome. Just crank up the preamp and it sounds great at low volumes.
                          Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            I agree. I was at GC two weeks ago and they had a 5150II I tried out. It was my first time playing through any type of 5150..........and I fukkin loved it! I had this preconception that a 5150 had to be cranked but it doesn't. I was playing it at house levels and it was awesome. Just crank up the preamp and it sounds great at low volumes.

[/ QUOTE ]
                            I guess I just suck at tweaking because I was never able to get a sound the way I wanted without cranking with both 5150 and II. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Comment

I had a few 5150 combos and I thought they sounded great at low volumes too. My problem was how friggin heavy they were. I sold them just to save my back.

Comment

Working...
                              X