Amp switcher question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp switcher question

I am going to run both my Mark III and my GT-6 rack system live. I need an a/b box. Here is my basic signal chain:

Guitar-wah-a/b box
    "a" signal goes directly to my Mark III and to 1 cabinet
    "b" signal goes to my GT-6 goes directly to my Carvin T-100 power amp and the mixing board and to 1 cabinet.

I want to be able to use either amp set up live or both at the same time by stepping on a footswitch. Any suggestions?

Re: Amp switcher question

Cut & Paste from the "Classified" section: [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

If you're looking to go the inexpensive route, a Whirlwind or Morley a/b box will work well...I've used both of them running a 2 amp rig with not much trouble. They do have issues over time though.
    But....
    If you want to do it the right way, and plan on using the a/b setup for a long time, I'd recommend a Framptone amp switcher. I bought one about a year ago, and it's just amazing. It takes everything into consideration: Ground loop, phase switcher, (when your amps go out of phase, you'll realize what a great feature this is!) noiseless switching, buffer so you don't get any signal loss, etc. It's a bit pricey, but like they say, good stuff ain't cheap and cheap stuff ain't good.
    Here's a link:
    http://www.frampton.com/switcher.html

Comment

Interesting. GT6 tonal versatility plus the in your face / balls out tones of the Mark III without sacrificing tone on either end. I'd love to hear how this will sound in person.

I've heard really negative things about the Morley one that is in every big chain guitar / music shop out there.

The one I've heard positive things about is the Whirlwind A/B/Y Box. But looking at the HC review databases there are a few folks that are saying the "both amps at once" setup results in a loss of volume / tone... Hrm... Maybe someone else can be more helpful. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        It's a bit pricey, but like they say, good stuff ain't cheap and cheap stuff ain't good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez. You weren't kidding... $300. [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Interesting. GT6 tonal versatility plus the in your face / balls out tones of the Mark III without sacrificing tone on either end. I'd love to hear how this will sound in person.

I've heard really negative things about the Morley one that is in every big chain guitar / music shop out there.

The one I've heard positive things about is the Whirlwind A/B/Y Box. But looking at the HC review databases there are a few folks that are saying the "both amps at once" setup results in a loss of volume / tone... Hrm... Maybe someone else can be more helpful. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The other guitarist in my band uses the Whirlwind and he has had no problems with it. The times that I will be using both rigs at once will be rare so if there is a little tone suck thats ok.
          I am only going to use the switch around 8-10 times per gig just to switch amps so it is going to see very light use.
          Basically, I am going to use my GT-6 rig for any oddball sounds I might need and for the majority of the clean stuff. For instance: Saigon Kick "Love will find a way" is a nylon acoustic. I will be using it for that and most of the signal will be routed directed to the PA. My heavy crunch and lead tones will be coming from straight the Mark III. For solo's I might use both on some songs.

Comment

do not get the morley. i used that for awhile and lost volume and had a HUGE hum problem. i was switching between a fender tremolux and a jcm800. it sucked so bad.
            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

$300 isn't out of range for that sort of thing.

Look to Mario at Axess, awesome dude, awesome product, awesome customer support etc etc :
              http://www.axess-electronics.com/

Comment

For a basic AB box the Whirlwind is a good box. It's active and can run on a 9V or wall wart. I used one for a long time and it still works (bought in the 80's). You can use A, B or both at the same time

I right now I use a VooDoo Labs amp selector which is a 2x4 switching device. It isn't too costly, each output has its own level adjustment so you can further balance volume. It also has ground lifts for each channel whicj really comes in handy. I got mine from Matts Music..
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Isn't there a George Lynch/Morley amp switcher out now?
                  Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Isn't there a George Lynch/Morley amp switcher out now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and that is what I am probably going to get. Either the Whirlwind or the Morley Tripler. There is no way I am spending $300.00 for an a/b box that I will rarely use. $100.00 tops is my limit.

Comment

The regular Morley A/B and the Whirlwind are garbage...i have owned them both and experienced significant tone loss and bleed over. I have not tried the GL Tripler, but I have heard good things about it from trusted sources. I would put it through it's paces hard as I don't care for Morley's other products. The best I have heard is the ToneBone unit, but it's relatively expensive compared to the others, although not a bank buster. If you think how easy it is to blow through $300, I think it is money well spent to ensure your tone rules. Anything less is a disservice to your audience [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        The regular Morley A/B and the Whirlwind are garbage...i have owned them both and experienced significant tone loss and bleed over. I have not tried the GL Tripler, but I have heard good things about it from trusted sources. I would put it through it's paces hard as I don't care for Morley's other products. The best I have heard is the ToneBone unit, but it's relatively expensive compared to the others, although not a bank buster. If you think how easy it is to blow through $300, I think it is money well spent to ensure your tone rules. Anything less is a disservice to your audience [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                        In that case... fuck my audience. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm glad I'm not going to any shows in the Northeast! Seriously, from what I have heard, I think the tripler may be your best bet. Let us know what do and how it works out.

Comment

Working...
                          X