why are ada mp1's so cheap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why are ada mp1's so cheap?

it seems that ALOT of players used to use these, and ive heard nothing but good things about these units. Why are they so cheap? i kind of want to get one off of ebay, but the low price some how startles me.
    www.soundclick.com/patricklukens

www.myspace.com/patricklukens

Re: why are ada mp1\'s so cheap?

3 reasons.
    1. They were not that much when new.

2. The thing/s they excel at has been pretty much out of fashion with the mainstream for about 15 years now.

3. Not too many people do/want racks anymore.

Comment

I will give 2 more reasons.
      1. Most modelers will blow them away. Even the low end modelers.
      2. They made a bazillion of them.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        They were not that much when new.

[/ QUOTE ]
        You coundn't touch one in '88 for less than $700...not expensive by todays standards but that was quite a bit back then. There were many good amps that could be had for less.
        2 outta 3 ain't bad [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Out of business. That is another reason. When you need parts you are screwed.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            1. Most modelers will blow them away. Even the low end

[/ QUOTE ]

You are kidding right [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              [ QUOTE ]
              1. Most modelers will blow them away. Even the low end

[/ QUOTE ]

You are kidding right [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. Dead serious. Compared to todays technology, the MP1 is REALLY low end.
              They had their day, just like carburetors and bias ply tires.

Comment

Every person in this area I know has one that is broken and waiting for a part.
                Sucks...

Comment

well I personally like mp1-es a lot, the best sounding preamps IMHO, CAE is close second, the others don't impress my that much including Triaxis, Engl etc. A lot of great things has recorded with ADA, haven't heard any GREAT modeler sounds yet.
                  "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    A lot of great things has recorded with ADA, haven't heard any GREAT modeler sounds yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have to agree....

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      haven't heard any GREAT modeler sounds yet

[/ QUOTE ]
                      Well put. I won't say that there aren't any great modelers out there, but simply that I haven't heard one yet. The ADA with a BBE and a good power amp (2:90 or similar) sounds as good (for hard rock, classic metal) as anything I've ever heard and I've owned numerous Marshalls, Mesas, Bogners (Shiva and XTC) and many others. The ADA is a timeless classic IMO. I would love to hear opinions on modelers that you board members think are the best so I can do my homework and try some of these out.

Comment

You may have heard a modeler and didn't even know it. I'd be willing to be that just about every studio out there has a POD or POD Pro kicking around somewhere. Several studios I've been in have them and use them.
                        Jerry
                        FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

with this in mind, what do you guys think would be a better choice

some sort of pod - i have guitar port and i really like the sounds of it, and the convienience of transfering sounds i make on my computer to the pod would be nice

Ada mp1 - cheap, timeless tone, very straightforward
                          www.soundclick.com/patricklukens

www.myspace.com/patricklukens

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            You may have heard a modeler and didn't even know it. I'd be willing to be that just about every studio out there has a POD or POD Pro kicking around somewhere. Several studios I've been in have them and use them.
                            Jerry

[/ QUOTE ]

+1000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They all use them.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              with this in mind, what do you guys think would be a better choice

some sort of pod - i have guitar port and i really like the sounds of it, and the convienience of transfering sounds i make on my computer to the pod would be nice

Ada mp1 - cheap, timeless tone, very straightforward

[/ QUOTE ]

The ADA MP-1 may be cheap but it doesn't produce a timeless tone. Back in the hayday of the MP-1 many studios used them to record and many bands used them live. They were high end state of the art back then and caught all the flack that todays modelers catch. With that said.. when you heard an MP-1 in the studio producing a killer guitar tone it was usually hooked up into a 6' tall rack of effects and a 10' long mixing board. Hey, if it sounds good to your ears thats all that matters. I think the MP1 sounds great but there are better preamps out there now. The Sholtz Rockman sounded great in its day too. Now... it can't even hang with a $29.99 Zoom pedal.

Comment

Working...
                              X