Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JSX gig review

Gig was a biker rally, outdoors. Nice big stage. here's my signal path:

3 different guitars - Peavey Wolfgang special FM (USA) - stock pickups, ESP MII Deluxe - duncan JB bridge, ESP/Duncan rail in neck, Charvel USA strat - Dimarzio neck and middle, Duncan hot rails in neck.

Wireless to a JGCable modded Wah (vocal, true bypass, midrange, volume mods) to a self modded Boss super overdrive pedal. From there to the JSX high gain input.

FX loop on the JSX was a Pod XT Live for effects - I mainly used a little delay on songs that needed it, had reverb all the time, and had a patch set up with a volume boost for solos.

Cab used was a Marshall 1960 slant w/75 watt celestions, SM57 mic'd about 1.5" away from the grill, center up and down on speaker moved to side where it was dead on with the dust cap seam.

Clean channel sounded great. Punchy, a little compressed, nice overall. Not the best but not the worst clean channel on a multichannel amp I've ever heard. I'd rate it a little better than average.

Crunch channel - kicked ass. Reminded me a bit of a JCM800 single channel tone. Used the Super Overdrive to boost it a bit here and there. Channel also cleans up well with volume control on your guitar - in a pinch, you could probably play a gig with this one channel alone.

Ultra Channel - very nice! Plenty of gain for solos, EQ is powerful and works well. Both the ultra and crunch channels are scoopy sounding, so you really have to run the mids a little high so it punches live - I had both of the mids on the channels on 8, or at 3 o'clock. Very easy to get controllable feedback at decent volumes.

Overall: Channel switching is fast and quiet. Noise gate doesn't work that well - it just kills a little high end hiss. I used the gate in the XT Live, then noticed it was robbing some sustain and tone, so I backed it off and would footswitch to a clean channel between songs. The amp is a little hissy, but for as much gain as it has, it's within typical levels.

FX loop works great. I'd recommend this amp for anyone looking for a bargain 3 channel tube head - I like it more than the XXX series (I checked one out saturday before the gig at a local music store... the JSX is smoother and a little less gain, but you don't need XXX gain, trust me on this!) [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Pete

Re: JSX gig review

I run the gain on my triple X at about 5, 7 at the most depending on the pickup. They're pretty much the same amp..I'm not even sure what the did change between the two but it was likely a tweak here and there. I was quite impressed with Peavey, good all round versatile amp.
    I love the active tone controls and the voicings are quite workable.

Comment

Thanks for the review!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I run the gain on my triple X at about 5, 7 at the most depending on the pickup. They're pretty much the same amp..I'm not even sure what the did change between the two but it was likely a tweak here and there. I was quite impressed with Peavey, good all round versatile amp.
        I love the active tone controls and the voicings are quite workable.

[/ QUOTE ]

To my ear the XXX also has a bit more 'gravelly' tone, the JSX is smoother. I actually like the peavey Ultra over the XXX, other than the cartoony peavey logo that changes colors.

Pete

Comment

Mine was trace modded, and reputedly had the harshness taken out of most of those channels. I bought it from Econ which was the one he had up for sale in the classifieds a while back.
          I have not played thru a stock triple so I do not know how to compare them..I'm just basing it upon the work Trace did in relation to stock and Econs perspectives. Remember that Trace modded JCM 2203 you had? Based upon my recollection of the clips you posted...it responds much the same way...harmonic feedback at very low volumes..I almost think I have a sustainor on at times.
          I'm very happy with it tho. I would like to pick up an Ultra as well..quite affordable.

Comment

Cool review Pete and glad to see you put the JSX through a reall world test. Sounds like a cool amp and a lot of amp for the money.
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Pete ...what amp do you dig more the XXX or 5150..

for "one" basic ultra gain tone
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

5150 lead channel is hard to beat, imho... I'd have to A/B it with all amps in front of me, but I'd think it's a little better than the XXX/JSX/Ultra series for balls out metal. I think the JSX is smoother and works better for covers and my playing style, but the 5150 is a lot 'meaner' sounding.

Pete

Comment

Hey Charvelguy:

I'm glad your enjoying the Triple XXX. I sold it to get something else, but in the future I might get another or maybe a JSX.

Comment

THanks Pete..that was Exactly the answer I needed!!!!

I'm a one trick pony...so I need a one trick amp..

never played with the XXX much and I haven't tried the JSX at all..so that's answers it for me..

BTW ...as you know my "one trick" amp is the Uber...I don't think t compares to any 5150...no matter how good they are..especially for the the money..

you can buy four 5150's for the cost of an Uber..and it will eat a 5150...BUT!

I still say the 5150 is THE best bang for the buck hands down...that is if that is your type of animal..

Bill

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Yea the JSX would make a good cover band amp. Its seems like a pretty tame amp that is good for not offending the dinner set crowd. I liked the JSX when I first heard it but after a while I got burnt of the sound. I can't quite put my finger on what it is, it seems kinda compressed sounding or thin after playing with it more.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Yea the JSX would make a good cover band amp. Its seems like a pretty tame amp that is good for not offending the dinner set crowd. I liked the JSX when I first heard it but after a while I got burnt of the sound. I can't quite put my finger on what it is, it seems kinda compressed sounding or thin after playing with it more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get me wrong, it's a great sounding amp, just not as aggressive as a 5150 or VHT. It will handle megadeth or old metallica covers with no problem whatsoever.

It did sound a bit thin at first, but then again I know how to dial in an amp. A 5 minute guitar center review on ANY amplifier isn't really fair to the equipment IMHO... I generally pay more attention to gear reviews where people either own or have actually used the amps in a gigging or rehearsal situation vs a GC plug in.

Pete

Comment

I'll say this ..it's a purdy amp..

all crome and shiny.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I like a smooth overdrive not abrasive..it's sounds like a very nice amp..I don't need the two other channels tho..just the heavy one.

they would be as useless to me as giving Kerry King an acoustic geetar.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Bill - Soldano Avenger. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I can't wait for you to try one out - I think you'll love it. Hell, if I had one I'd send it to you to check out!

Pete

Comment

Hell Pete, ..I would love to.

It's been in my noggin' ever since you mentioned it!

would be great to have one in my hands and in my face..to check out..

especially if it's anything like an SLO on steroids..with a big tight phat ass bottom.. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I think that would suite me better than a powerbal..or fireball maybe...i've only heard clips..

ahhh..clips are cool to see if the tone your looking for is "achievable" , but you really need to have that amp in hands and in your face to really know what it's about..your hands if half your tone ..imo

Sometimes I just can't play a certain amp at all ..even well built ones like My old bud Mike Z of Dr Z..I need a stomp in front of ANY of his amps..and I played em all..I need a stomp..they just don't shred..they sound all pure and pretty ..but they don't shred...not for me.

The gain structure on a DSL and how it feels is absolutely wrong for me..we just did NOT get along..and some other guys can shred on em..but to me they're just unuseable..

I'd take a HD147 over a recto , dsl , tsl , BV , and ect..if I can take care of biz BETTER w / a cool SS amp..then so be it..whatever works best.

You think I'd like a HD147 over a Vetta Pete..?

Like to find a nice used one..cheap. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X