Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you guys think of the JCM800 cabs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys think of the JCM800 cabs?

I have the chance to pick up a JCM800 cab with celestion 75 in it. Has anyone played through one of them? Just wondering how these cabs sound with these speakers?

Re: What do you guys think of the JCM800 cabs?

As all Celestion 75s are, they are a bit brittle on the high end, but with much more solid low end than 35s, lotsa clariy and less of the midrange honk of 35s...

That is a classic cab used by many many many people over the year. Quite the warhorse...

How much? Condition?

Comment

I love Marshall cabs w/75 watters in em... a fair price is anywhere from $300-$450, depending on condition, at least in my area.

Pete

Comment

the JCM800's are going for more then the newer ones, so if you are getting it at a fair price i say get it!

Comment

I really dig the G12T-75s, too. They have a bit of a scooped midrange and sound better than the Vintage 30s with their midrange honk, IMO. Though, the 75s and 30s do mix well together in an X pattern in a 4x12.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

i love 75w celestions. greenbacks can't handle metal guitar sounds very well, and vintage 30s tend to sound really harsh to my ears.
            "I really dig the G12T-75s, too. They have a bit of a scooped midrange and sound better than the Vintage 30s with their midrange honk, IMO. Though, the 75s and 30s do mix well together in an X pattern in a 4x12. "

+1

Comment

How much? Condition?

[/ QUOTE ]
              I can get the cab for $400 plus shipping. Overall condition I would say is 8 out of 10. What do you think? The shipping is at least $75 to $100.

Comment

It's been a while but the last time I played through a JCM800 cab I remember it being pretty kickass. $400 seems like a very reasonable price to me.
                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  i love 75w celestions. greenbacks can't handle metal guitar sounds very well, and vintage 30s tend to sound really harsh to my ears.
                  "I really dig the G12T-75s, too. They have a bit of a scooped midrange and sound better than the Vintage 30s with their midrange honk, IMO. Though, the 75s and 30s do mix well together in an X pattern in a 4x12. "

+1

[/ QUOTE ]

I find the 75's to be harsh, once the 30's break in they warm up nicely, but the 75's are always to bright for me, i do however find the 75's great for cleans. I love the greenbacks for rock/hard rock which is what i mostly play so to me they suit me fine, i also use the 30's.

[ QUOTE ]

How much? Condition?

[/ QUOTE ]
                  I can get the cab for $400 plus shipping. Overall condition I would say is 8 out of 10. What do you think? The shipping is at least $75 to $100.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say go for it, sounds like a decent price and the JCM800 cabs are only going up in price. If you pass on it let me know i would be interested in it.

Comment

If you pass on it let me know i would be interested in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really doubt im passing on it. This cab was actually picked out by Marc Cameron. Who when it comes to tone has a great ear. It was picked to go with this Cameron modded JMP head I already own. The guy I bought the head from is selling it to me. I remember hearing it and the cab sounds great.

Comment

70's don't have the upper harshness of the 75's do ..nor does the 80's,,

but that upper "harshness" is needed for my style ..it is where all the "life" is in the upper harmonics..especially for crazy pinch harmonics..which I do constantly! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Vintage 30's are OK until you really push them in a band over a very loud drummer..they don't have the low end ooomph and the edge of the the 75's..all "nasily" / "honking" mids to me..and Marshalls and most amps..are all mids to begin with..SOOoooooooooooo.

so for my liking the 75's suite me fine..the only speaker I heard that I like a little better were the celestion 80's..they have a little roll off of the upper freqs but a very BIG tight bottom..with enough low mid punch to do whatever you wanted and they sing nicely for leads too..Girth for rythm and sing nice for leads...best of both worlds..IMO.

I think the 75's do both jobs nicely too..I like 'em!!!

wouldn't have five cabs of them if I didn't.. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        70's don't have the upper harshness of the 75's do ..nor does the 80's,,

but that upper "harshness" is needed for my style ..it is where all the "life" is in the upper harmonics..especially for crazy pinch harmonics..which I do constantly! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Vintage 30's are OK until you really push them in a band over a very loud drummer..they don't have the low end ooomph and the edge of the the 75's..all "nasily" / "honking" mids to me..and Marshalls and most amps..are all mids to begin with..SOOoooooooooooo.

so for my liking the 75's suite me fine..the only speaker I heard that I like a little better were the celestion 80's..they have a little roll off of the upper freqs but a very BIG tight bottom..with enough low mid punch to do whatever you wanted and they sing nicely for leads too..Girth for rythm and sing nice for leads...best of both worlds..IMO.

I think the 75's do both jobs nicely too..I like 'em!!!

wouldn't have five cabs of them if I didn't.. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I beg to differ on one point, v30's have alot better bottom end then the 75's, actually another reason new metal people love the 30's is because it can handle the down tuned guitar alot better then any other speaker. I find the 75's have a good bottom end, but it is not as deep as the 30's.
                        75 Frequency range 80-5000
                        30 Frequency Range 70-5000
                        Greenbacks Freq Range 75-5000

Comment

well let's agree to diasagree on that..

boy , ain't that suprising.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I use my ears to judge..not some graph..or ..whatnot! [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

the older JCM 800 cabs are nice. I actually like the 75s. I think it will be a nice match for you Cameron modded heads...
                            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Well, I'd guess they may show a lower freq range, but I wonder what the curve really looks like as far as efficiency dow that low etc.

70 hertz is so low that the low freqs we are liking from the 75 watters may actually be quite a bit higher.

I've played them a lot and feel the 30s are sorta spongy and not as crisp on the low end as the 75s. But, I prefer the nice upper rolloff of the 30s.

I'm truly enjoying my 25 watt greenbacks a lot lately over my 75s at living room levels, but they just can't hang at high levels like the 75s do. They get crappy pretty quick in comparison.

My system seems to have a upper end spike going on, and the 75s are making it so sizzley that I'm going nuts. Never had that problem before... I dial out the sizzle and lose all the life too. Aaaagghh.. The 30s get rid of most of it, but lose low end tightness. Bah.

Comment

Working...
                              X