Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you guys think of the JCM800 cabs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What do you guys think of the JCM800 cabs?

I have learned something you really can't dial out whatever you don't like about a piece of gear..be it a amp (rectos are fuzz), speakers , pups..whatever..you can curve it somewhat with Eq's or whatever..but the sound of that piece of gear ..well...is what it is.. [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

if you can get by with it...use it until something better comes along..there is only so much tweaking and modding and shit you can do to a particuliar piece ...till you just say...ahhhh fuggit!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

either you "really" like it ..or you "really" don't .. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      well let's agree to diasagree on that..

boy , ain't that suprising.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I use my ears to judge..not some graph..or ..whatnot! [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

But we never disagree [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] But serious it also has alot to do with the cabinet and how it is constructed as well.

Comment

Oh, so you guys are using cabinets with these speakers?

My bad...

Comment

Cleve: Celestions G-65's. Your troubles will be over.

Comment

Heard of them, never heard them though... Pretty much available as individual speakers I guess huh? I'll guess you'd describe them as basically the answer to what I was describing as my problems? Anything else?

I was wondering about some High end EV speakers....

Comment

Possibly. You'll hafta dig for them, though. They are long out of production.
              They are a lot like a V30, but without the mush. Very flat. Not sure if it's the answer, per say, but maybe worth a try if you can find them.

Comment

What about G12h 8 ohms speakers.
                Anybody try them in a 2x12 with JCM 800 2204?

Comment

Thanks for the input Chuck! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I was gonna say check out www.celestion.com and see the descriptions and some sound clips of their different speakers, but for some reason now, you can't access their site without a user name and password. WTF? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I've been on their site in the past without any problem.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

We kicked you out....

Comment

LOL I guess so. Can you get on their site?

Comment

Heh. Guess the public can't use that link any longer. Here's the other one. http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/index.asp

Comment

How gay...

Uh oh... Hope they don't delete this thread for that...

Comment

John ..Tony has those 65's in his 1982 white JCM 800 white anniversary two 12 combo..

he always did get all Van Haleny on our asses..way back in the day.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

this is a theory of mine I had long ago..

I think all the even number and odd number speakers are in their own catagories..

I hear a sililarity in all even number speakers..like Celstion 30's , 50's , 60s, 70s , 80's...never heard the 90s..I'm assume they are very cool...these all sounded flat and warm to me..but they shift into the lower frequencies as the wt rating increased..

same with the odd number speakers..now I heard different kinds of 25s..those are a different animal all their own..but from what I've heard the 35s, 65s, 75s and I think 85s..seem to have a scoop..with the curve shifting into the lower freqs..as well..

anyone else...think this....could be..

maybe I'm high..

I dunno.. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                I have learned something you really can't dial out whatever you don't like about a piece of gear..be it a amp (rectos are fuzz), speakers , pups..whatever..you can curve it somewhat with Eq's or whatever..but the sound of that piece of gear ..well...is what it is.. [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

if you can get by with it...use it until something better comes along..there is only so much tweaking and modding and shit you can do to a particuliar piece ...till you just say...ahhhh fuggit!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

either you "really" like it ..or you "really" don't .. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

And i had no problem getting rid of the fuzz, and i find the uber to have just as much fuzz if dialed wrong, when you get into high gain territory fuzz is there. Certain things you have to do with mesa's, not cutting mids, and damn do they need a break in time on there tubes, also not maxing out the treble and presence, hell i dont even use the presence. Once again you also used it with the 75's which cuts the mids on a mid cut amp allready. I guess to each there own.

By the way i just picked up a jcm800 cab off ebay (beat up) for $398 shipped, will be ripping the speakers out and putting marshall vintage in them (basically v30's) but they are voiced more of in between the v30 and the 75's.

Comment

Working...
                                X