1990's Jackson tube amp questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990's Jackson tube amp questions

Anybody know what the story is with these Jackson tube amps from the 90's? Any additional info would be appreciated. This one is called Apogee 50. Two channels with some tone and gain switches on the front panel. I have had this one for almost 10 years, bought it at a surplus store that bought a bunch of stuff from J/C when the warehouse was damaged in a storm. I used it for a while until a couple filter caps blew up inside, them I stuck it away. I tossed a couple replacement caps in it a few years back and got it sort of working again, but never got around to getting it up and going right. It actually didn't sound too bad when it was working, real high gain like a Soldano.
    Don't know much about it, but on the circuit board it says:
    Advance Tube Tech
    17 Bixby Ave
    Middleton, MA

On the back panel it says: Designed by Steve Mauriello

Re: 1990\'s Jackson tube amp questions

Steve Mauriello actually contacted me after reading my review of the Apogee 50 on Harmony Central. Although I got mine at Groth's Music in Bloomington (who in turn acquired it via an estate sale), I believe that it came from Banks...which I'm assuming is where you got yours. Anyway, Steve was building a line of amps called Chunky Amps, and Jackson approached him about building what ended up becoming the Apogee 50. I can PM you his email address if you want, although I don't know if it's still current at this point. He posted for a short time on the "old" JCF after I mentioned it to him.

As for my Apogee, I used it along with a Peavey Sheffield 2x12 cab for some studio work a few years back, although I was only running through the clean channel. The distortion doesn't do much for me, but it might just need some fresh tubes. Then again, I am normally playing in my apartment and can't crank it up. Your Soldano comparison is tempting me to try it at my rehearsal space or maybe live.
    sigpic

Comment

Yes, it came from Banks. Actually, I bought an entire 100 watt stack when they hit the basement at Banks for 75% off, but I later sold the stack. I liked the combo better. I bought the combo and also an extra combo shell that had a pair of V-30's in it. I guess I should have bought a bunch of those Jacksons and Charvels they had there at the time, too! LOL! I did have 3 or the W stamped Charvel SD reissues. I still run into a W stanped Jackson every once in a while that came from Banks.

It sort of reminded me of a Soldano, though a little more fuzzy sounding gain. I did like it though. It's been a while since I used it, I should get it up and running again. I don't think there is much wrong with it.

If would PM me the email, that would be great. I'd like to find out more about it. I sure could use a schematic!

Comment

PM sent.

Just curious, what number is your Apogee? Aside from the few that ended up here when Banks was in business, I've never seen any.
        sigpic

Comment

Mine is #0139. I saw one a few weeks back at MGR in Spring Lake Park, but I think it's gone now.

Comment

Wow, mine is #0141. Makes me wonder if Banks got a whole batch in sequence.

I saw the one in Spring Lake Park. It was there for quite a while as I recall, but it was pretty clean and reasonably priced. LaVonne's out in Savage used to have a couple of the Jackson heads and cabs, but they were a dealer years ago and were charging top dollar from what I remember.
            sigpic

Comment

Sometimes they pop up used from time to time around the area, since Banks had a TON of those amps, especially the heads and 4x12's. Banks also sold them in Mankato when they had a store down there.

Comment

I bought a 50 watt halfstack when I lived in Mankato -- wish I still had it. Sounded killer.

The Appogee at MGR SLP has been gone for quite awhile now. I was going to try to cut a deal on it last summer, but I just never got around to it. But yes, VERY clean and sounded pretty good.

I owned at least 4 of the "W" stamped Charvels. The W was for water damage.

Comment

ahh, that is what it was for....I have some of those necks..I often wondered if that is what it was. I thought initially 'warped' but..it is straight. That MGR is right in my neighborhood and that amp sat there for months. They wanted like 450-400 for it..not sure what it went for but it had to be a lot less than that.

The Banks amps were mostly reference 50's and 100's.
                  Alot of rust starting on some of those.

Comment

Hi Tom! How ya doin? Any progress on the Ian BCR?

I had the Reference 50 head & cab. I dug through most the ones at Mankato and got the cleanest one I could find. I was running an ART Extreme into it at the time. I (sadly) sold it to get a little rack system, but I had a lot to learn back then.

Comment

The reference head and cabs were a nice looking package in all that chrome. They were probably the best amp Jackson put out.

Comment

Working...
                      X