Fairly stupid power amp question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairly stupid power amp question

We all know that tube amps are much louder (per watt) then SS amps. Why then are most power amps used for PA systems SS? This leads me to my question.
    I have a Carvin T-100 power amp. It is a 100w all tube power amp (50w per side or 100w bridged). Could this amp be used for my PA system? The power amps we use now are SS. I am pretty sure they are 200w and a 300w. Wouldn't a 100w tube power amp be more powerful than a 200w or even a 300w SS one?
    Hmmm................ [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Re: Fairly stupid power amp question

John, I am not sure if it would be loud enough. I guess it would for small clubs. I know we use three power amps with a crossover for the subs in our rig. One amp for mains, one for sub woofers and one for monitors. The one for the mains is 1200 watts (bridged) theone for the subs is 1300? watts and I think 6-800 for the monitors. I am not sure if this is overkill or not but it is a reliable setup.
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

No, it won't be loud enough. The thing about tube vs solid state is that tube amps, when they start distorting in the power section do so in a pleasing way. Solid state amps start clipping and sound awful - so a tube amp can be cranked to say 5% distortion and it just sounds warmer. The solid state amp cranked to 5% distortion sounds like a dying donkey braying through a cheerleader's megaphone. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

One thing to remember too is that in many cases solid state amps are rated a little more generously than tube amps. Some techs on HC was talking one day about measuring the wattage output of some 100 watt marshalls and they were putting out over 150watts. *!*

Plus our tube guitar amps aren't reproducing the lows and highs that a full range power amp is required to also.

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        No, it won't be loud enough. The thing about tube vs solid state is that tube amps, when they start distorting in the power section do so in a pleasing way. Solid state amps start clipping and sound awful - so a tube amp can be cranked to say 5% distortion and it just sounds warmer. The solid state amp cranked to 5% distortion sounds like a dying donkey braying through a cheerleader's megaphone. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

One thing to remember too is that in many cases solid state amps are rated a little more generously than tube amps. Some techs on HC was talking one day about measuring the wattage output of some 100 watt marshalls and they were putting out over 150watts. *!*

Plus our tube guitar amps aren't reproducing the lows and highs that a full range power amp is required to also.

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 and to add, tube amps will color tone, as well as they get dirty quicker then solid state, plus if you were to get a 1200 watt tube amp that would be 48 output tubes you would need, besides being very expensive to retube you would need a fork lift to carry it around. Solid state is great if you have plenty of headroom and it is alot cheaper to maintain and purchase.

Comment

For PA applications, you want the cleanest, purest reproduction possible with the least amount of distortion. Tube amps (with the exception of high end audio equipment to some degree) not only typically distort earlier and easier, but they also color the sound...very desirable in a guitar amp, not so much when reproducing a sound (your live mix)that you've already got dialed in. Maintenence would also be a huge issue. Could you imagine the cost of retubing a rack full of Strategy 400's?

Comment

Just speaking from my own experience, I have a simul 2:90 that is about 60 pounds and uses 8 6L6 tubes to put out 90 watts per channel. My P.A. has 3600 watts. That would be Too heavy as tube amps and too expensive considering the number of tubes required.
            Screamin'

Comment

Got it... thanks everybody.

Comment

Working...
              X