Peavey Classic 50/50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Classic 50/50

Just got one of these beasts and im loving the sound coming out of it, but i got two questions for you amp buffs, is there a chance i could fry myself if i pulled 4 of the 8 tubes out to reduce it to half power, or should i let a tech do it. And secondly, what are the best tubes for this poweramp to get me some serious low end out of it, i like a real big lowend punch. Thanks in advance guys

Re: Peavey Classic 50/50

Should be 6L6 tubes... I'd look to "SED Winged C" http://tubestore.com/6l6gc.html

Look around...
    http://tubestore.com/6l65881types.html

I'm not a fan of pulling tubes. I feel it doesn't agree with the transformers very well. Just my opinion.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Should be 6L6 tubes... I'd look to "SED Winged C" http://tubestore.com/6l6gc.html

Look around...
      http://tubestore.com/6l65881types.html

I'm not a fan of pulling tubes. I feel it doesn't agree with the transformers very well. Just my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1

Comment

but theres no huge voltages going across em to fry me? lol just im trying to get the tubes going at lower volumes.

Comment

There is only around 450-700 volts going through them, even AFTER the amp is off for quite a while. Just don't put your tongue on them I guess.

I know what you're trying to do. I just won't do it. Although the Peaveys transformers are hardy in those amps. It alters impedance, and is a little bit more involved in that area than most think.

Comment

my classic 50/50 was el84's and a couple of 12ax7's. open it up. it the tubes are big then it has 6L6's. if they are skinny then it's el84's. i know the classic 120 and 60/60 were 6L6.
            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

ok, so maybe i'm better off just getting a hot plate?

Comment

yeh i'm sure i've heard everyone say the 50/50 was el84's

Comment

That amp has el84's. Why remove 4 tubes when you can run on 1 channel @ 4 tubes = half power [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

is that so?, ok i guess i'm being thick......lol, i'm running it on one channel now, just cos i only got it today, im a tube virgin lol, had ma tube preamp for a while now, but only got this tube poweramp today, and just trying to get some nice low end chunk outta it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

hmm, can't seem to get it to run in stereo with my 1936 cab, the manual only shows stereo application using two cabs, anyone got any ideas?

Comment

http://forums.peavey.com:8080/~Amps
                        not wanting to promote another forum but, seems to me I've seen this answered before over there
                        I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

Here's a diagram of how my rack was setup with the same amp. The OR setup is using a single 1960 stereo cab ONLY:

Comment

thanks man, it's looks like thats how i was running it, but it might not have sounded like stereo cos of the hearing in my left ear being fucked atm lol

Comment

Nice graphic there catzodellamarina. What did you do that with?

Just take pics from a website and impose them in an editing program?

Comment

Working...
                              X