Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5150 tricks

hi guys

so i borrowed a 5150 I head from a band we're friends with. it's already 9 pm , so i can't play it right now (too loud), but tomorrow i'll use it for a show. i just wondered if anybody can give me some starting points how to get certain sounds? as i said, i'm not at all familiar with this amp.
    i'm shooting for a swedish thrash sound, the haunted basically. a bit of in flames mixed in. we're tuned to D, and i'll be using my emg81 loaded jackson king v ...i suppose. otherwise it's gonna be a charvel model 3 loaded with a steves special dimarzio.

and, bill or cleveland metal....NO, i'm NOT buying a sonic maximizer [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] it's just one show, fuggit [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Re: 5150 tricks

Just turn it on.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] good one, bro

i just played it a couple of minutes, at very low volume though. i know this isn't in any way comparable to the sound at gig volume, but for now, i found it to have way too much gain (using the hi input....i'm sure i'll end up using the lo gain input, like always), and liked the rhythm with crunch engaged more than the lead - this is low volume, remember. i loved the bass response, though. i'm REALLY curious how it's gonna perform at gig volumes.

keep 'em coming, guys

Comment

Keep the gain around 4-6, anything higher than that gets a little muddy.

Watch the Presence knob, I usually keep it at 5 and then tweak to taste simply because if you start pushing higher and higher then it'll bring out the not-so-desirable brittle high end.

You can scoop your mids if you'd like, but I'd at least recommend trying it out with them turned up. You can cut almost as well as a Marshall if you keep the mids in.

I actually keep everything between 4-6 for the most part and tweak it to taste. What kind of cab do you have?

Comment

i don't know, we don't bring our own cabs, they are always provided by the venue we're playing in. usually a marshall 1960 A or B

i tend to keep the presence at zero all the time, as it doesn't sound "right" to me at high volumes.
          i can't say i always scoop the mids, or always boost them. it depends on the amp. i scoop them on my 2210 but boost them on my engl. i had them cranked on my mesa back then.
          what do you think is better for the swedish sound, scoop or boost? cutting through shouldn't be an issue with a 120w tube amp

Comment

keep the gain kinda low,but still use the high gain output. i keep the gain on my amp at about 3 or 4, but you just crank the hell out of the post gain/master volume. its just gonna mud together if you have too much gain.

Comment

Umm, Borrow a Sonic Maximizer? Hahaha....

Comment

listen to thse guys..i right in the ball park...

High gain input ..

I haven't a 5150 in years ..but this is what I remer..Gain was pushed until it started to flub which is about 6 (my minimin was a 5 1/2 to about 6 1/4) ..the low I had at 6 the mid was at four or a smidge less ..the treble was at about 6 ..the presense was low..tweak it to the room and to your ears ,,I kept mine as about the same as the mid ..at 4..the Resonace I kept moderately high as I could around 7 to 9 ..again depends on the room and your ears..The resonance really fattens and thickens up you low end..

and there where my shit was..I always ran an effects unit in the loop for a litle delay mostly...just a smidge ..makes the leads sing nicer to me..
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

A band I kinda like [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] uses them like this:

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

umm....a band you kinda like....are you talking about the haunted by any chance?
                    if so, their settings looks STRANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    i mean, presence 10, lows cranked, volume barely on....

Comment

Actually, apart from the presence and lows being dimed (they were up pretty high, still) that's the way a pro sound guy dialed my amp (5150 II) in at one gig... and it sounded awesome through the PA. Post/Master volume was at 4 though, so I was rather deaf afterwards. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww....
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Presence and resonance are actually on 0. Yes it is The Haunted.

Comment

Ouch, brainfart. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] They aren't using the crossed channel of course! It is really hard to really "see" what it sounds like you know, just give it a shot. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Crank to 11 and rip. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Working...
                              X