Clear All

Re: 5150 tricks

[ QUOTE ]
    Crank to 11 and rip. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Only if you have a Soldano Avenger. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

alright, i'm back from yesterdays gig, and guess what?
      i'm gonna trade in my engl blackmore for a 5150. definitely.
      i thought i had a great sound. our soundguy said so, too. he even prefered it over my jcm 800 marshall. i thought the sound was quite reminiscent of the 2210, but WAY more gain on tap, and a KILLER bottom end chunk. i can't recall my exact settings, but it was something like this

hi input, emg81 loaded jackson
      lead: pre gain 4, bass 6-7, treble 4 i think, mid 5, resonance 6, presence 0, post gain 4

it's a loud mutha, but not nearly as loud as the blackmore. more in the 2210 ballpark. definitely usable. it wasn't a large gig, rather small actually. the thing is, i don't like having my guitar on the monitor, i tend to get all my stagesound from the backline. as usual, my lead guitar player told me to turn the fuck down during soundcheck, but once we all played i turned it back up and guess what? you couldn't hear all that much on his side.

the sound was a bit fuzzy, though. i'm not sure if fuzzy is the proper word.....it was actually more like a sizzle.

anyone playing METAL should definitely at one point try one of those killing machines in a live situation.

thanks for the answers, guys [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

veliyasin: umm...the pic clearly shows that the resonance and presence are turned way up?!
      so the actual settings are gain 5, lows dimed, mids totally scooped out, highs 7,5, volume 1?

Comment

by the way: it wasn't nearly as noisy as i thought it would be. sure, with the gain up to like 6 or 7 it hums like a bitch, but who needs this much gain anyway?!

Comment

another thing: i remember jgcable told me that the crunch channel (rhythm with crunch engaged) has less gain than a dimed out jcm800 2210. i don't think this is the case. it actually has slightly more gain than the 2210, but not much. however, the crunch channel seems to have even more punch and chunk than the lead channel, so i'm seriously thinking about using it either for rhythm or for leads - it has enough gain for lead playing.
          this actually makes me wonder if i should get a 5150 II because of the seperate tone controls the II has....the II has a tad less gain, less bottom end and more brightness, right? mmh...i could live with less gain and less bottom ( as i didn't have the bottom end cranked....more like 6 on the bass and 7 on the resonance, and there was plenty of chunk), but i'm not sure if a brighter voicing would suit me....furthermore, the II is more expensive [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
          X