JCM 800 2205 'Fading Out"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JCM 800 2205 'Fading Out"

I was reading the posts about the 3203's some of you had that had a "fading out" problem. Somebody mentioned that jumping the effects loop solved the problem. I've got a 1989 2205 that has the "fading" problem. It is intermittent, and seems to happen more when it is warmed up. My tech re-tubed and tensioned the sockets and went crazy trying to figure it out. This amp has an FX loop, so I'd like to try the fix that helped you guy on the 3202. How is this jumper to be installed in the loop? At the jack? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Re: JCM 800 2205 \'Fading Out\"

Just plug a cord from the effects send right back into the effects return.
    Jerry
    FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

Oh yeah, that'll work!

What would be the proper way to fix this problem internally?

Comment

Try here. http://www.metroamp.com/forum/index.php

Comment

proper way to fix it? replace the bad jack. Fx loops usually have a switching jack - it's a switch built into the jack that bypasses the fx loop if nothing is plugged in.

If putting the cord in fixes it though, just leave it in.

Pete

Comment

Spray the jacks with contact cleaner and plug a cod in and out a few times. That usually cleans them up.
            Jerry
            FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

I plugged the "problem" head in last night for the first time in 6 months, and of course now it won't fade out. WTF?
              I'll keep trying, and my neighbors will be most likely be annoyed!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I was reading the posts about the 3203's some of you had that had a "fading out" problem. Somebody mentioned that jumping the effects loop solved the problem. I've got a 1989 2205 that has the "fading" problem. It is intermittent, and seems to happen more when it is warmed up. My tech re-tubed and tensioned the sockets and went crazy trying to figure it out. This amp has an FX loop, so I'd like to try the fix that helped you guy on the 3202. How is this jumper to be installed in the loop? At the jack? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have the back metal plate on? if so take it off, sounds like your amp is getting really hot which makes the solder get loose causing it to loose connection. With all my marshalls i always have a fan blowing on the back of them to keep them cool, marshall are known for running really hot as it is.

Comment

Back plate is off, and has been. If it IS a bad solder joint, I'll probably never find it. I did however have a Sony television that would get lines across the picture when it was warm...somebody said that it could be a loose solder joint. I touched around on the boards while it was having the problem and actually found a bad solder connection. I pulled the board out and soldered it and it has been good ever since. The shop wanted $700 to "try" to find the problem.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Back plate is off, and has been. If it IS a bad solder joint, I'll probably never find it. I did however have a Sony television that would get lines across the picture when it was warm...somebody said that it could be a loose solder joint. I touched around on the boards while it was having the problem and actually found a bad solder connection. I pulled the board out and soldered it and it has been good ever since. The shop wanted $700 to "try" to find the problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can probaly stop it from happening just by keeping a little crappy fan blowing on the back of the amp while playing.

Comment

Yeah, that would likely do the trick. But, I'd like to fix it properly is possible.

Comment

I still think this is a problem with the FX loop, not a solder joint getting hot.

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I still think this is a problem with the FX loop, not a solder joint getting hot.

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

+1
                          Dirty loop jacks is very common.
                          Jerry
                          FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

I finally got this amp to fade out while playing, and I plugged a cable into the FX send/return, and it seemed to fix the problem. Thanks to everyone for their help - the JCF rules!!

Comment

Working...
                            X