Chandler Stereo Digital Delay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chandler Stereo Digital Delay

Is it worth it? I keep hearing folks prasing this delay and would like to get some info about them. They are going for around 300 bucks on ebay right now. Also, would you guys recommend a good reverb unit? Thanks.

Re: Chandler Stereo Digital Delay

they are AWESOME..if you like the sound of a true echoplex without the noise..The high cut is the key to that unit..it deadens the the echo to give it a real warm sound..

I bought one back around 92 or so..and sorry I got rid of it..paid almost 300 for it back then..do they still make them.

I know that Satch and Eric Johnson and Steve Stevens used them..still do I think.

another good delay is a old Bell unit..one of the first high end digitals made..but for some reason it doesn't really sound digital at all...I miss that too.

Not many folks know what a Bell was..it just fell in my lap out of pure luck..
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I don't think they still make them. You can see them on ebay from time to time. Average selling price on ebay for a used one is around 300 bucks.

Comment

that's what I paid for it new..almost 15 years ago..so OK..

They are a stand alone unit..one effect at a time..

no multi anything with this..

this is bare bones...delay / echo...that does capture the spirit of old tape echo units..without the tape. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I'm gonna try to get one. The other effect I use is reverb, so I have to look for a standalone unit that will give me a good reverb.

Comment

They haven't made Chandler stuff for many years. They've gone up and done but usually have been about 200-350 over the years. High quality unit that simulates tape echo features. You'd pay 500 for the Oberheim unit which is about the same quality.

A buddy of mine makes a killer reverb pedal..Tim Van Tassel

Used Van Amp pedal on eBay

Comment

The G-Major is better and gives you tons more effects. That Chandler has no "vibe" or "mojo". It was state of the art back a million years ago. If you are into collecting vintage effects its a nice piece to have but I wouldn't use it live.

Comment

I love those old geeky effects, tape-echoes-echoplex-analog-delays-memory man etc.
                Eric Johnson still uses a lot of that stuff all the time, no wonder he has one of the greatest guitar tones.
                "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

There are floor units being made now that will give pretty much the same effects. I wish I could recall who makes them.
                  Fernandes is making a small rack tape echo now with the Hiwatt name...bit pricey tho.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    There are floor units being made now that will give pretty much the same effects. I wish I could recall who makes them.
                    Fernandes is making a small rack tape echo now with the Hiwatt name...bit pricey tho.

[/ QUOTE ]

A friend of mine has that pedal. He is in a Rush Tribute band in Maryland. That pedal REALLY sounds like an old Echoplex tape driven delay. Personally, I think that analog delay sounds alot like tape delay and you can pick up an analog delay pedal any day on Ebay.

Comment

I'm sure you're aware what the DM-2's are going for as are some of the digitech stuff...insane. I spent 30.00 in the late 80's early 90's which I suppose now is relative. Yeah, they do sound very warm and 'tape-ish'...you just don't hear the little segments of playback very slightly still in the background like you do sometimes on old tape delays when it loops around- even when the delay is bypassed.
                      Delay time too I find isn't as versatile on some of the old floor pedals. Slower delay times just are not there on the DM2.

That Hiwatt unit really has my attention tho..now if they made a tube driven one-that would be cool.

Comment

Jgcable is correct ..I have a G-major now..

But It does color the overall "tone" just like an old tape machine..it definitely has that vibe.

The awesome and very versatile G Major..well it does a decent job getting that kind of sound with delays / echoes..but not quite like that unit.IMO.

there is a ceratin amount of "mojo" to the unit..just like any old stomp basically..like a MXR flanger / ADA or Ross flangers and etc..and it wasn't very noisey.

it doesn't do that much ..like I said..it's just a delay / flange time based stand alone unit..and that's all it is..if that's what your lookin' for.

I used it in the loop of my old 2210 ..with a phase 90 and MXR flanger ..I was definitely in VH town. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]..

I think my G Major has "mojo"..and now they're a hundred bucks cheaper new [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

It is a great sounding unit. I had one back in the day..and then it was in the closet for a few years. I remember it was the first thing I ever put on E-Bay. I set a $50 reserve, I had no clue what it was worth. This was around the year 2000, maybe late 1999. It sold for $425 and I shit myself.
                          Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Working...
                          X