5150 vs. TripleXXX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 5150 vs. TripleXXX

well, all i can say that i put the PB through its paces....i tried all kinds of settings, used different guitars, but i just couldn't get a decent live sound, even if my life depended on it. i guess it's good for death metal.

yeah, bill, i know, and trust me, if i got a 5150 i'd search ebay for a cheap BBE 422a. atm however i'm deciding whether i should get one in the first place [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

well....this is pretty much the situation right now....i have a marshall that i LOVE, but at the same time i need heavier. i KNOW the 5150 would do it for me. i'm also considering the fireball, as my engl is much clearer sounding than the 5150, and as it's supposed to be darker voiced than the blackmore. however, having the bad experience with the powerball in mind, i'm hesitating. i guess i'd have to convince my dealer to let me borrow it for a show.....veeeeeeery difficult, of course.
    same thing goes for the xxx....i like the idea of having two totally independent gain channels, AND i like the 2ch recto sound as much as i like the 5150...what turns me off is the damping switch (which would force me to run BOTH the resonance and the presence either low or high...likely LOW) and the bad rap it's recieving regarding the "fake" sound.

reading this, i think the 5150 would be the best solution....no, actually, the best thing to do is borrowing a fireball and a xxx for a live show, but thats damn near impossible...

Comment

I hear ya man..I would love to borrow a HD 147 to see how loud I can get it without losing the coolness I heard in the store..

yeah I know it SS..that's my point. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Fragle I think 5150 would be the best for the stuff you play, modern thrash or whatever you call it. 5150 is way more tighter than XXX, and the lead tone cuts thru better. Bu I personally find 5150's mid range a little bit "weak" and the clean sound is horrible (you don't need it anyway), I wouldn't play Van Halen or modern metal with it (I like recto tone for metal), but It is awsome for Steve Steven's type of stuff and whatnot. Also I agree with John, Mark III is better than 5150 in every aspect.
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

really? i thought the 5150's midrange was quite pronounced. not as prominent as the marshall's, of course, but still way more than my engl. i also agree, it's quite tight sounding....listen to exodus-another lesson in violence live record, the song a lesson in violence....the beginning riff is played by rick who used a 5150 for that show, and the sound is very tight, exactly how i though the 5150 i had here sounded. you can hear every single note while speed picking.
          by the way, if the mark III really kills the 5150 in every respect, i should definitely mention that those amps seem to go for around the same price here on german evilbay.

btw, i think modern thrash would suit it best.

ah yeah, another thing: i LOVE your signature [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] classic

Comment

it is pronounced, but I personally think there's something missing, it is hard to describe. But it is awsome for the stuff you play, I would take MARK III for the old Metallica thrash sounds, modern thrash is a totally different thing tone wise than Metallica, but I still suggest you to check out the Boogie, it has a VERY different tone, it kills.

I love my signature too, I love it as much I love the other classics by Bill the Ice. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Regarding Mark III's, they come in many versions (stripes).
              The Mark III that would best suit your tonal needs IMHO is the Purple Stripe Simul-Class running E34L's and 6L6GC's with ECC83S preamp tubes.
              At this point, the only other tube amp I would have no problem using live other than my Mark III is my 5150II. It kills. If Mesa Boogie is easy and affordable for you to get you really should check out a Mark III. It could be exactly what you are looking for.

Comment

btw..from what I've read around here..alot of guys who once owned powerballs ditched them in favor of the fireball and didn't look back. If you don't need a clean channel and you're in europe, I'd not hesitate in checking out a Fireball too. A dealer has to understand you'd want to take a test spin drive before deciding to buy. They probably have a demo laying about.

Comment

What about the Savage 120?

Comment

overkill, as i already said. imho it's 20000 little gimmicks are messing with the tone too much, but YMMV.

anyways, i just played the blackmore some more, and damn, i can't quite talk myself into selling it. it's articulation can't be described, it must be experienced, really. if i just found a setting that doesn't rip my head off with a huge highend assault. i'm 100% sure if it wasn't this articulate it would be long gone, i promise.
                    i guess i'll have to talk my local (well, nearest, that is) dealer into borrowing me a fireball....heck, he can have my blackmore head during this time. besides, he'd know where exactly i'm living, so he's got my balls grabbed in case anything happens [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    it's just that my local dealers are hardly more than a bunch of brainless fags, seriously.

maybe this board's fireball owners could chime in here and tell me if the fireball's voicing is considerably different from the savage/blackmore series?

by the way, i tried to put my tubescreamer in the loop for a solo volume boost...i didn't notice any?! had the level on the tubescreamer turned full up, but no volume boost was noticable. maybe it's because the fx loop is parallel and not serial? however, i noticed that having the tubescreamer in the loop added a shitload of mids and killed a lot of brightness....which can be adjusted by turning the fx mix pot on the back....maybe i should try this on our next gig?

Comment

What about a simple eq in the loop if you really love the articulation, but just want to change a few things to darken up the amp? I'm not sure how much it will help, but its worth a shot as long as it doesn't make it too muddy.

Comment

I have tried the Blackmore and I understand very well when you speak of it's articulation, it made me practice more [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        Can't you try to get something in the loop (no Bill, not the BBE [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) to remedy what you need? an EQ or some other pedal?

I have only briefly tried out a Powerball at a store, hooked into a mesa cab and I was unimpressed with it...go figure.

If I'll be needing a new amp anytime soon I'm going for the Fireball, it actually costs less than a new 6505 here...how's that for barking mad value [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

How are you running the levels on the send and return of the Blackmore? (or are they preset?) Are you leaving the tubescreamer on and kicking it in by switching the effects loop on and off?

So you're trying to use the effects loop as a crude lead boost channel?

Comment

well, some guys in this thread told me to put an overdrive in the loop for a volume boost (in contrast to putting it in front of the amp for a gain boost), thats why i tried this.

the engl only has 1 send and 1 return jack, and a fx mix control. the loop is not switchable. the fx mix controls how much of the signal is wet and how much is try - hence the parallel fx loop.

Comment

if it's parallel without an independent volume and just a mix blend dial, the output parameter has been preset..all you're adding is amount of effect. I had a trace elliot that could be used both ways...parallel as well as a series send and return with adjustable levels.

If you put it in the signal chain from guitar, again, some would argue this is negligible because you increase the signal to the preamp and the output stages. I think you'd notice a volume increase more this way, but also more drive, potential feedback and noise-depends on the effect.

If you want to shape your tone, or give more tonal variation on tap..putting a graphic which can be footswitchable in the effects loop will offer at least an instant change.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                you want that 5150 to kick your ass even more..

you know what I'm gonna say..

you need a --- in the loop!!! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

5150 ...best bang for the buck for metal! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

I still need to throw down with my dude at GC..Uber Vs Powerball.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The guitarist in Cattle Decapitation uses BOTH a Powerball AND a Bogner Uberschall AT THE SAME TIME.

However....it was a let down, as his tone sucked. He needs to learn how to dial in an amp. But damn..his rig was impressive. I saw them when they toured with Behemoth and Suffocation last winter. Awesome show. Behemoth is fucking amazing live...BTW.

Comment

Working...
                                X