Fender tube combo practice amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender tube combo practice amps

I have a friend (really) who bought a Super Reverb new in (IIRC) 1966 and later lost it.

I don't know nuthin about recent Fender tube combo practice amps, but does anybody here know anything about recent models / pricing? Like, in the $250 - $500 range (used)?

Keith
    The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Re: Fender tube combo practice amps

I'm thinking maybe a Blues Jr.

Comment

Scratch that, he had a Blues Jr. and didn't like it.

Grrrr! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

my buds got a blues deluxe or deville, i forget. black tolex if that helps. i think its sounds awesome for mild rock, blues, & overdriven stuff. it doesnt have enough gain to play metal, without a stomp box. its got great tone & its really a nice sounding amp if you dont need alot of gain or dont mind driving it with a pedal.

Comment

Cool - thanks, the blues deluxe looks just right: not too hard, not too soft. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Peavey Classic eats the Fender for lunch. Seriously.

Shawn
            Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

The Pro Junior kicks ass. It's actually one of the old tweed circuits. It is the best sounding amp in the Hot Rod series. The key is to yank the shitty stock Eminence and put in a Celestion Vintage 10.

And it will kick any Peavey Classic in the nuts while the Classic is eating lunch.
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

And if you take the same money you used to upgrade the pro Jr and upgrade the peavey it will kick the fenders ass.

Point being there are a lot of nice tube practice amps out there and you can go nuts upgrading any of them. At the end of the day though you will have a 1200 dollar amp and people will say man that is the best sounding Blues Jr I've ever heard, because it will still sound fundamentally like a Blues Jr. If you didn't love the amp to start with you still won't after that. If you are looking for something other than clean or bluesy, you might be better off getting a Roland micro-cube and 2 or 3 pedals with that 500 bucks.

A few other small tube amps to try out though are the 5 watt Gibson, and the 15watt crate vintage club series. Also Fender has a Blues Deluxe out not which is a tweed reissue, but is basically a bigger Blues Jr, so if you don't like that, you won't like the other, probably.

Another option is www.ceriatone.com They make a few popular kit amps for clones like Marshall 18 watts, plexi, jtm45, Fender tweed champ, bassman, etc. They also sell pre-built versions of some too. The downside is you still need to get a case and speakers, and resale later is difficult for clones. The upside if you could get an 18watt Marshall, champ or Bassman for 500 bucks or less (just the amp, not the complete combo)

Comment

I'm not sure where you came up with 1200. I got my Pro Jr. for $269 new and a Vintage 10 for like 50 bucks. I've owned a bunch of the amps you mentioned and the Pro Jr. is the best of that lot. The Blues Jr is not a step up from the Pro Jr. - they are two different beasts and the Blues Jr. does not sound as good although it is perhaps more versatile with the master volume and reverb. The Blues Jr. does require a speaker upgrade - in my case I got a Weber Blue Dog for $75. The Crate V series are good but not as good as the Fender's IMO. I've played those Peavey's stock and with upgraded speakers/tubes and none of them sound as good as the Fender's either. The little Gibson is very cool but pricey. The Blues Deluxe is excellent.

Bottom line for me is that I have used the Pro Jr. as both a practice amp and I've played small gigs with it. I would just snag my pedal board, that little amp, and a couple guitars. Prop the amp on a chair and you're all set. I've played out with a Blues Jr, Crate, and Peavey as well and they were all pretty good as well.
                  I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I like both the Pro jr and the Peavey C-30, I think you get more amp for the money with the Peavey, but both are great little amps
                    I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

Working...
                    X