Soldano HotMod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldano HotMod

So Chris sent me his Hotmod to check out in my 1980 JMP100. I was sick as a dog yesterday (gee, dialysis sure is fun!), so I didn't get to check it out till today.

The amp is stock, as far as I know, and tubes while aren't fresh, are in good shape. As far as I know.

First impressions: Hmm...gain city. Very similiar taper to my SLO. I'm landing at about 6 on the dial...LOTS more to be had, that's just the sweet spot to my ear.

Tonally I'm not knocked out. It has gain, that's for sure, and the string to string clarity from the SLO is there, there's just...something lacking. Feels very compressed, a little sterile. I'm not getting the dynamics I was using the SD-1 in front of the head. I guess I need to play it more and learn how to play the amp with it in there.

Time will tell...

Re: Soldano HotMod

9 minute later update: Remember my SLO set-up tricks, I subbed a 5751 for the Chinese 12AX7 that was in V1...WAY better...so far, so good...still not blown away...

Comment

It wasn't meant to make your Marshall sound like an SLO though. Good first review. I liked it in my 800. More than any pedal I put at the front end. It did have the compressed tone that you mentioned though.

Hope ya feel better Chuck!

Comment

Much coolness..I remember when those mods came out..

Sorry that you were feelin' bad..
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Thanks guys. I'm much better today. Of course, I do have dialysis this afetrnoon, so [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]...round and round we go!

Anyhoo...I'm digging it...for a rhythm sound, but I still prefer the mid-spike and nastiness provided by my much loved Boss SD-1, so it looks like I'll be using both.
          I was hoping it would be the end-all, and it's close, but...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Thanks guys. I'm much better today. Of course, I do have dialysis this afetrnoon, so [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]...round and round we go!

Anyhoo...I'm digging it...for a rhythm sound, but I still prefer the mid-spike and nastiness provided by my much loved Boss SD-1, so it looks like I'll be using both.
            I was hoping it would be the end-all, and it's close, but...

[/ QUOTE ]

Chuck -

Go out and find yerself a Soldano Avenger...I think that may be the one for you...$950 - 1100 on the used market and just awesome amps.

P.S. KILLER score on the Jake replica, great price for a near real deal too.

Steve E

Comment

You might want to swap out the tube on the hotmod just to be sure you have a fresh one in there. It'll wear just like any preamp tube, so maybe a new one will liven it up a bit. OTOH, there may well be a very good reason why those triple triodes (can't for the life of me think of the number on it right now) weren't used very often in audio preamp circuits and the various 12A?7 dual triodes are all over the place...

Comment

There is a HR 100 on ebay right now going for around $900....

Comment

I'm wondering if it's a pickup issue. The SD-1 provided a lot of mid-spike, which works great for leads obviously, but the pickup isn't helping any it seems. I'm using a Duncan Custom V in the Charvel.
                  That Jake has a WCR Shredder pickup, supposedly comparable to a JB, so I'm real keen to hear what that does for me. That may be the answer.

Buying another head ain't an option, sorry fella's. Thanks for the tips and all, but...ain't gonna happen.

Ross, I'm thinking the same thing...perhaps a fresh tube in the Hotmod would tidy things up a tad. It sounds good, just lacks dynamics and I know live it will get buried as it is.

Comment

Hey Chuck, here is my tip for the day.
                    Try a Boss OD-3 in front of your 1980 JMP100.
                    Dial the gain on the OD-3 at 50%, dial the tone up to 75% and dial the level to suit. Dime out the gain on your JMP.
                    The OD-3 is a smoother, more powerful SD-1 and isn't so tonally obtrusive. Its like the rock version of the BD-2. I think you will be very happy.

Comment

I have that SD Screamin' Demon that you sent me with the Wayne body a while back if you want it.... That has lots of mids...

EDIT:

You want mids out I think.... That would not work then.... lol. Well if you want to try the pickup out anyway then let me know. I will call you tonight.

Comment

John: I like the tone of the SD-1, the mid spike does the amp wonders. I sold my Tubescreamer for that reason...it needed more mids. Gain I gots, no worries there. I don't think a pedal is the answer. At least, I don't want it to be. I want to plug straight in, dammit! I may be dreaming, though. I'm starting to miss my SLO...

Chris, I want a mid spike. The Custom V is light in the mids. The Jake has a middy pickup, so I'm waiting for that to show up and we'll see what it does. I'm not making any changes till then, though.

Comment

The Dimarzio Evolution will give you mids too. So will the Steves Special.
                          If you want to plug right in and get that killer Soldano SLO tone you know what you need.
                          SLO100
                          HR50/100
                          Avenger

Comment

My favorite bridge pickup is the Tom Anderson H2+. Tons of mids but cleans up nicely as well.

Comment

Yeah, John...I'm afraid you are right. Having owned an SLO, as well as a slew of HR's...the SLO is King Shit. No Avenger or HR will get me there though. Good amps, but there's only one Real Deal.

However...my current financial picture dictates that I get damn happy with this Marshall! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] That's cool...it's a wikkid good sounding Marshall. Just havin fun tweakin it!

Comment

Working...
                              X