Normal vs boutique pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Normal vs boutique pedals

I'm in no position to buy anything atm but I can't help be curious, is there a big difference in quality between boutique and normal pedals?

Re: Normal vs boutique pedals

Yes. "Big" can't even decribe the difference.

Comment

Depends on the pedals. I'll agree that there is a big difference for the most part, but I have heard some production line pedals (like Boss) that really hold their own. I have a Vox Valvetone (wa less than $80 new) that none of my friends or I could tell from several boutique overdrives we used in a comparison. I highly recommend playing boutique pedals before you buy to make sure their extra cost is worth it to you, as well as to make sure you like that particular unit (some of them, such as a Z Vex SHO sound very different across the same model line).

Comment

Want a boutique pedal at a great price... go to www.miaudio.com and order yourself a blues pro for only $89.99 shipped. Awesome!
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Oh yea, I forgot to mention it. I prefer modded normal production pedals (Boss, Ibanez, DOD, MXR) over boutique because of the cost factor. Some of the super high end boutique pedals can run you $750.00 ea+. Thats alot of scratch for a stomp box.

Comment

One thing that I like doing is modifying stock pedals a TS9, or super overdrive is pretty good stock. A few changes here and there and you can have a really nice 'boutique' pedal for a few dollars in parts and an investment of your time. Be careful modding though - it's easy to mess up a circuit board if you don't know what you're doing. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

Working...
            X