5150 in the house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5150 in the house

Yep, now in addition to all the other amps I have I just scored another 5150. I am picking it up tonight.
    Its a later model standard 5150 head in mint condition.
    Now I have both a 5150II and a 5150. They are definately worth the investment as they seem to be increasing in price lately plus they sound great. The 5150II is for AFTERMATH which is the band in New Jersey. Joe plays a block letter 5150 and I play the 5150II. Our sound is crushing to say the least. The new 5150 will be for my Connecticut band. I am going to A/B is with my Mesa Boogie Mark III. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Re: 5150 in the house

why doesn't this suprise me [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Its time for a BBE 422 or a 422A.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Yep, now in addition to all the other amps I have I just scored another 5150. I am picking it up tonight.
        Its a later model standard 5150 head in mint condition.
        Now I have both a 5150II and a 5150. They are definately worth the investment as they seem to be increasing in price lately plus they sound great. The 5150II is for AFTERMATH which is the band in New Jersey. Joe plays a block letter 5150 and I play the 5150II. Our sound is crushing to say the least. The new 5150 will be for my Connecticut band. I am going to A/B is with my Mesa Boogie Mark III. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
        Hmmmm, maybe you can answer this question for me. Can you describe the differences between the 5150 and the 5150II?

Thanks!

Comment

This is subjective because opinions vary greatly.
          To me...
          The block letter 5150 MK1 has a decent clean channel and has the best lead channel out of all of them. It is brutal.
          The 5150 MK2 has a decent clean channel and a ripping killer lead channel that is extremely close to the block letter EVH.
          The 5150II has an excellent clean channel and still has a ripping killer lead channel.

The 5150II may be a tiny bit smoother on the lead channel and I have heard it might have a little less gain but I haven't experienced that at all. Its still a monster.
          The 5150II also has 6 preamp tubes intead of 5, an adjustable bias, separate EQ and resonance for the clean channel and I am pretty sure the crunch switch is footswitchable. I don't know that for sure because I don't use the footswitch. My amp is run into an A/B box which in turn goes into an AC-2 and out direct to the PA system.

I think that any of the above are great. I would also like to add that the 6505 is equally awesome. They are all dry sounding amps but not in a bad way. For the money they are one of the best choices you could make for hard rock/metal/thrash.

Comment

congrats! one can never have enough amps [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] actually i tried to score a 2ch recto yesterday, but got outbid [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

but, man.....i wonder if you could do a complete list of your gear?! i didn't know you still had a 5150II. it's quite hard to keep track of your amps, as you change them more often than your underwear i suppose [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

congats bro..

yes get either one of those BBEs...NOW!!! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                This is subjective because opinions vary greatly.
                To me...
                The block letter 5150 MK1 has a decent clean channel and has the best lead channel out of all of them. It is brutal.
                The 5150 MK2 has a decent clean channel and a ripping killer lead channel that is extremely close to the block letter EVH.
                The 5150II has an excellent clean channel and still has a ripping killer lead channel.

The 5150II may be a tiny bit smoother on the lead channel and I have heard it might have a little less gain but I haven't experienced that at all. Its still a monster.
                The 5150II also has 6 preamp tubes intead of 5, an adjustable bias, separate EQ and resonance for the clean channel and I am pretty sure the crunch switch is footswitchable. I don't know that for sure because I don't use the footswitch. My amp is run into an A/B box which in turn goes into an AC-2 and out direct to the PA system.

I think that any of the above are great. I would also like to add that the 6505 is equally awesome. They are all dry sounding amps but not in a bad way. For the money they are one of the best choices you could make for hard rock/metal/thrash.

[/ QUOTE ]
                Thank you for the awesome description man! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

5150 VS 5150II Here's a little info on the differences between the 5150 and 5150II. There's no difference between the block logo and signature logo 5150's I've had a TON of both come thru the shop here and they are the same. Two amps side by side may sound a little different but that difference is due to tubes and component tolerances, not the logo on the front. The guys selling on Ebay love to use the block logo folklore as a way to drive up the price but they're no different. Trust me.
                  Jerry
                  FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    congrats! one can never have enough amps [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] actually i tried to score a 2ch recto yesterday, but got outbid [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

but, man.....i wonder if you could do a complete list of your gear?! i didn't know you still had a 5150II. it's quite hard to keep track of your amps, as you change them more often than your underwear i suppose [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually have been pretty good with keeping some things lately. I have had the 5150II for almost 2 years now.
                    All of my amps with the exception of the Fender Ultra Chorus are all tube amps.
                    My favorite is the Mark III live and the X60 for home use. Throw a Boss OD3 in front of my X60 and you will truly be in 80's metal heaven. Its the closest tone to Ratt I have ever gotten. I love that amp.
                    I bought the 5150II for a band I was in as a back up a few years ago and never actually used it until the last several weeks. I have been using it to power my GT-6 for band practice but I am now using it straight up with my pedal board in the loop and an amp switcher going to an acoustic simulator direct to the board.

My current amp list as follows:

Mesa Boogie Mark III Head
                    Carvin X100B Head
                    Carvin XV112E 1 x 12 combo
                    Carvin X60 1 x 12 combo
                    Carvin T100 power amp / Boss GT-6 modeler/processor rack system.
                    Fender Ultra Chorus 2 x 12 combo
                    Peavey 5150II head
                    Peavey 5150 Mk2 head (I am picking it up tonight)
                    Randall 2 x 12 slant cab loaded with Altec Lansings
                    Randall 2 x 12 slant cabinet loaded with Celestion 50w
                    Mesa Boogie 3/4 back 1 x 12 cabinet with 90w Black Shadow
                    Peavey 5150 4 x 12 cabinet loaded with Sheffields
                    Boss DD6
                    Boss CH1
                    Boss MT2
                    Boss HM2
                    Boss OD3
                    Boss HM2
                    Boss RV3
                    Boss TU2
                    Boss TU12
                    Boss CH5
                    Boss OD2R
                    Boss GE7
                    Boss AC2
                    DOD 250
                    DOD 270
                    Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah
                    Multivox powered pedal board
                    1986 Carvin V220
                    1989 Carvin DC127
                    1991 PRS CE24
                    2002 PRS Santana SE
                    1992 Jackson Rhoads EX Pro
                    (I am running pretty low on guitars lately!! I like owning lots of amplifiers much better than guitars)

I also have alot of keyboard and synth stuff.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      5150 VS 5150II Here's a little info on the differences between the 5150 and 5150II. There's no difference between the block logo and signature logo 5150's I've had a TON of both come thru the shop here and they are the same. Two amps side by side may sound a little different but that difference is due to tubes and component tolerances, not the logo on the front. The guys selling on Ebay love to use the block logo folklore as a way to drive up the price but they're no different. Trust me.
                      Jerry

[/ QUOTE ]

Jerry's right... I had a block letter, but it came with sylvania 6L6 power tubes. I bet if you spent a few bucks on some really good 6L6s (I mean black plate RCAs, or sylvanias, or GEs) *any* 5150 or 5150 II would come alive. My block letter was beat to hell and about 5 years old when I got it, and it had the stock power tubes - and they were strong as hell. NOS Power tubes should last longer too, so the overall price isn't really that much worse than putting in the cheapo JJs, Svets or whatever.

Pete

Comment

I think so too. Very little difference between the 2 on the lead channel.

Comment

getting a 5150 II would be useless to me..I don't play clean.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I wish the 5150 ws one channel as well as my Uber..wouldn't bother me.

I had five 5150s all loaded with stock sylvanias..I had ONE sweet head..it was different..warmer / smoother for reasons unknown..the other four were consistant..and sounded exactly alike..

This shit just happens sometimes.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

A 5150 rack mount preamp would make me verrrry happy...

Comment

I love my 5150-II and prefered it over the 5150 head and the 5150 combo, great score.... nice equiptment.

My list of equiptment.
                              5150-II head
                              Mesa Roadking Purple Suede covering
                              Mesa Stiletto Duece
                              Mesa Rackmount rec (neon Green Chrome Chasis)
                              Marshall JCM800 Veritical model 2204
                              Marshall JCM900 model 4500
                              Marshall 6100 30th aniversery Blue Tolex
                              Marshall 1987X white tolex with Drake Transformers no effects loop (newer ones have dagnals)
                              Line 6 Flextone II head
                              Marshall JMP-1 preamp
                              ADA MP1 Preamp
                              Mesa 2:50 power amp
                              Mesa 20/20 power amp chrome face
                              G-major
                              boss GT-3
                              Digitech RP-14D
                              8 and 16 ohm hotplates
                              Mesa Traditional 4x12 Rec cab
                              Mesa Oversized Rec cab 4x12
                              Marshall Vintage Cabinet (V30's)
                              Mesa 4x12 older metal grill halfback with greenbacks
                              Marshall 1936 2x12
                              line 6 2x12 cab
                              Peavey 4x12 with scorpioin speakers
                              2 Pod 2.0's guitar and 1 Pod Bass all have the floorboards with volume and wah pedal.

I have a shit load of guitars and effects and spare pickups etc... could take all day to list!

Comment

Working...
                              X