No announcement yet.

guitar sounds better with ear plugs in.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guitar sounds better with ear plugs in.

I have a powerball through a mesa trad.I love how my tone is when I put on the x-mas tree ear plugs that cut 20db.Is it cuz the plugs are cutting off the highs? I wish my setup could sound like that without the ear plugs..maybe would i need is a eq to boot or cut certian freq? Hopefully this makes sence,..if not i can explain better...sound is just more brutal and dark.. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Re: guitar sounds better with ear plugs in.

I always play drums with earplugs in. Takes away the high end of the crashes, accentuates the bottom end, etc...It is simply because you are no longer slamming your eardrum with DB's it just doesnt need in order to hear. Like running a 1000 watt stereo through a 25 watt speaker.

It is always a good decision

Shawn
    Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      I always play drums with earplugs in. Takes away the high end of the crashes, accentuates the bottom end, etc...It is simply because you are no longer slamming your eardrum with DB's it just doesnt need in order to hear. Like running a 1000 watt stereo through a 25 watt speaker.

It is always a good decision

Shawn

[/ QUOTE ]

ahhhh you pretty much nailed it.The bottom end is increased...I just wish it could sound like it all the time without putting on ear plugs...Like,um..that's the tone i'm looking for basically...I always wear plugs regardless...or i'd be one deaf mofo

Comment

Try putting some foam in front of your cabs.
        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Try putting some foam in front of your cabs.

[/ QUOTE ]

holy shit! something so easy yet i couldn't figure that out! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] when you say foam...reg sound proofing foam? just like placing it onfront of the cab?

Comment

I guess that would work. I'm basically thinking of something square, average to good thickness, possible tape the top side to the top of the cab so it hangs in front.

That should get you some really heavy low-end. I dud this once when I play diezel VH4 at a local store (I go play it A LOT but never buy it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ). It gave me the mother of all chug.
            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

ahhhhh damn i'm soo excited!! can't wait to try it..i've been thinking of this tone for atleast 2 years....and even I couldn't firgure that out!! lol,every played the Herbert? I tried it out once....fucking brutal

Comment

Sounds like an EQ issue. The foam in front of the cab is more of a band aid...you should try to fix the problem at its source. Try a graphic EQ pedal/rack unit (I don't know your rig). This treats the problem rather than the symptom.

Comment

I remember back in the Gorilla DOD days.LOL(come on we all had one)I would throw a blaket over the amp and it would cut the hiss and fuzz.I remember watching Biohazard a long time ago when they just started using boogie Keep the cab covers on while playing the set.But i would try the EQ.I also now have a PB but I run a Mesa traditional and a Marshall 1960 B the mesa tends to push more highs than the Marshall as it should being the Marshall is a str8 cab.I also have a Marshall 1960 A.I haven't tried it yet with the PB but it should also push less highs than the Mesa.I'll try it and let you know how it works out
                  www.myspace.com/goreality1

Comment

BTW, coincidentally, my guitar playing sounds better when I wear earplugs,shooting muffs, and stand at the neighbors house....... [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Shawn
                    Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

whaaa..but that's not the sound of your amp..

that's like saying your wife looks better when you close your eyes.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Or It feels better fuckin' with a rubber on.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I could go on for eternity here..
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        BTW, coincidentally, my guitar playing sounds better when I wear earplugs,shooting muffs, and stand at the neighbors house....... [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Shawn

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello....tap tap tap....Is this thing on?

Shawn
                        Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Sounds like an EQ issue. The foam in front of the cab is more of a band aid...you should try to fix the problem at its source. Try a graphic EQ pedal/rack unit (I don't know your rig). This treats the problem rather than the symptom.

[/ QUOTE ]
                          That's what i figured.what's a good eq pedal?

Comment

Working...
                          X