Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best brand new overall amp for metal LIVE!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best brand new overall amp for metal LIVE!!

Pricing based on a brand new amp head, tubes or SS, modeling or hybrid. It must be able to do metal LIVE with no outboard help. If it needs a floorboard to be used live you need to add the cost of it into the overall cost. Here are the categories:

$0.00-$499.00
    $500.00-$999.00
    $1000.00-$1499.00
    $1500.00-$1999.00
    $2000.00 and up

This list could really help fellow JCF bro's looking to get a new amp. I will compile the responses and give a final result when we get enough data.
    If we get enough responses I will do:
    Used amp heads
    New Combo's
    Used Combo's
    Maybe we could turn them into stickys if it works out. It certainly will be interesting with all the great players and giggers on the board. (giggers is not a racist remark). [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Re: Best brand new overall amp for metal LIVE!!

There are too many different tastes and too many different amps out there to make such a limiting list such as this.

Comment

1500-1999: Framus Cobra 100 watt head.

Comment

1-1,5 Mesa Dual
        2-up Diezel VH-4
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

The really limiting thing here is that some people consider ozzy metal, etc. Also the features list - Bill could use a one channel amp and be perfectly happy with it... some guys use a 2 channel head, some need three. Some need an FX loop, some need reverb, blah blah blah.

Maybe a list of amps in certain price ranges with the features and styles we think it would cover would be a better list? Cool idea for sure though!

Pete

Comment

I was thinking that features such as channel switching, reverb, effects loops, multiple channels etc.. are not the most important factors in picking an amp for metal. For instance.. some guys use single channel Marshalls with no loop, reverb, or anything else. Others use Mark IV's that have all of the above and more. Bottom line is both of these amps can be used for most styles of metal with no outboard help.
            My definition of metal generally means HEAVY. If an amp can handle Slayer and Megadeth it can probably also handle old school Priest, Sabbath and Dokken. The newer metal is not much different in tone to later Megadeth.

Comment

I think it's a pretty wide bridge if we're going to recommend everything from one channel amps to four channel midi controlled ones. There needs to be a little bit of further narrowing the scope, imho. Or just put all the features the amp head and people can compare I guess...

Pete

Comment

Pete is right about me..Ubershcall is my weapon of choice for "Heavy"..really heavy especialy when in my hands. That amp could be a single channel , that's fine with me. If I want to "clean" up the sound I roll back the guitar's volume knob..there it's cleaned enough..ala Slayer.

Nothing is heavier..I DIME the gain of my Uber at ALL times..and it is as tight as a 90 lb virgin from the far east..ALL usuable gain..and I used it all! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I been told that the clean channel to the Uber sounds good..but what do I care. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Bill.

there is clips of my DIMED Uber ..on that "uber live" thread..if you haven't heard then yet. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

too many subjective variables involved to make a comprehensive list IMHO.

I really only give a fuck what is best to me and regardless of how different people say about amp XYZ I make up my own mind using my own set of ears [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Usually these list turn in to list of amps that people own or wished they owned [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

I hear you Shawn. I was thinking more towards the JCF'rs who don't get the chance to try an amp out or even hear one. There are plenty of them that have never actually played or heard a 5150 or a 2204 or a Powerball. I.. for one.. have never had the pleasure of experiencing an Ubershall or a Herbert live. I see your points though. Too many variables. I was just trying to keep it simple and managable.

Comment

Shawn's Right..

only thing is tho..alot of these amps are not at hand to try..and that sucks. Most places is just nothing more than a Musician's Freind..new Marshall crap , Line 6 , and rectos..that's pretty much it.

I bought my Uber when I heard Thingman's clips from the old board and he hardly used his gain..what a wuss..I'm kidding...I'm a kidder.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

i still like the vetta 2.
                        it might not have the feel of tube, but the 2 amps at once sounds awesome.

Comment

I think it's a great idea fot a thread, and if any of my amps were newer than 20 years old, I'd contribute! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

I really dig the Stiletto for more of a classic metal tone...think hot rodded Marshall and you get the picture. This is not a super high gain amp...you definitely can not hide behind its tone like you can with many other high gain Mesa products. There is alot more clarity and mid thrust than on most of their other designs.

Comment

In the 500 and up range (550 is the price on a new head I think?), the XXL is good [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] it kicks some pretty good ass. The clean isn't that great but the Ultra channel rips!

Comment

Working...
                              X