Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best brand new overall amp for metal LIVE!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Best brand new overall amp for metal LIVE!!

[ QUOTE ]
    I would like the think I'm a tad more "polished" than Kerry

[/ QUOTE ]
    That why I said a "bit" of KK [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I think you could take him you two were to cut heads [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Frank Marino is a name you don't hear too often...awesome player. He has new stuff that is either coming out or already has. Read a big article on him in Vintage Guitar a few months ago. I think its time to throw some MR in the CD player.

Comment

well I just plugged in my NEW powerball. i'd say its exaclty what I have been looking for. PERFECT!

Can't wait to really turn it up!

Comment

I'd love to hear it Drip ..Congrats man..have fun!! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Rupe..get Frank Marino and MR live..the original 1978 black album..Best buy will have for like 11 bucks..it's amazing!
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          WEll, I would like the think I'm a tad more "polished" than Kerry..but I'm definitely from the same school.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, don't sell yourself short. You smoke KK... I freakin' HATE the solos on slayer songs. 99% of the time they sound like cats being tortured on a trash can lid. I don't like their guitar tones either. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete (putting on the flame suit because all the angry slayer fans are headed this way!)

Comment

The real guitar player in Slayer is Jeff, but they use way too much midrange in their tone! [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Wow..Thanks again Pete.. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

what I like about Kerry is his "aggression"..he's just sounds so pissed off and wreckless..Well Slayer is one pissed off band.

and some days I LOVE that...like when I'm drivin'!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But don't listen to slayer when you're trying to shave..or you'll have a bunch of little pieces of toilet paper stuck to your face.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                The real guitar player in Slayer is Jeff, but they use way too much midrange in their tone!

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding? You must like getting lost in the mix if thats what you think...another fan of the 800lb mosquito tone [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Man talk about angry
                  The Still Reining DVD is as agressive as anything I've ever heard [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    [ QUOTE ]
                    The real guitar player in Slayer is Jeff, but they use way too much midrange in their tone!

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding? You must like getting lost in the mix if thats what you think...another fan of the 800lb mosquito tone [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                    No, I'm not kidding. Mids are cool, but they really use too much of them. And I'm a huge Slayer fan, too, but their recorded tone just has way too much going on in terms of midrange, IMO.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yeah, I hear ya on the tone. At one time they were using some decent amps.. VHTs or Ubers or some shit..I think. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

don't they play DSLs now..that's the prob right there.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Slayer is really not about being "polished"..they do have a tried and true formula that works for them..it is an art..two simple counter lines that work well together..nothing special on their own ..but together it sounds huge to me.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Slayer ..is all about 'tude , noise , chaos and aggression..with Dave Lombardo holding down all the chaos with mind blowing speed and meter...he's the foundation of that band..They would sound like shit with a hack drummer..IMO.

like a metal punk band..like if they had my drummer on my tape.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

They are not for everybody and can understand why some wouldn't like them..they are definitely..a love or hate kinda band.

Comment

Kerry King, is truly a machine. His rhythms are amazingly interesting (IMO), extremely solid and the counterpoint movements with Hanneman are VERY impressive. Seen them live so many times and they never failed to amaze me with their machine like precision.

Bill may overcome him in riffing leads and has some interesting fire in playing, fire that I just don't have anymore myself. BUT, KKs rhythms are truly not had by many bands I can think of. He is what makes Slayer. I consider myself a solid player, but KK busts my chops there for sure.

Yeah, a little midrangey and old school sounding in a way, but that IS Slayer, and I'd have it no other way. Lke YJM, I don't think I'd want their guitar sound for my own, but they sure sound like what Slayer shoudl sound like, and it is good.

I used to hate them, and yes it did take them a couple releases to learn to play or get the with the program, haha, they freaking nailed the genre with Reign in Blood and they are at this point, in all their imperfection, Gods of that genre... Even their last release is still strong.

If KK learned to play a sweet melodic solo, it would NOT be Slayer. His leads are chaotic noise, and THAT is what the music needs to portray what they are trying to to get across. Just like the last CD has what I felt was way too much screaming. Well, after I reflected on the irritating screaming awhile, I realized the subject matter couldn't be portrayed any other way. He has to sing it the ay it is. Any other way would be gay and the music would lose impact.

Definitely an aquired taste...

Comment

Exactly. KK is an aggressive soloist. Melody isn't what he is all about. Attitude is. Personally, I think its harder to play his way. Its the definition of what shredding used to be.

Comment

Bill, I checked your stuff out and I'm definitely digging it! The Uber sounds awesome with the way you have the eq's set, and I'm surprised it doesn't feed back like a mother with the gain cranked, but that definitely puts a lot of credit to the tone is in the hands. Keep that shit up though, its awesome.

I got my 5150 finally on Saturday. I've put it through its paces as much as I could in my apartment, but I can't wait till next practice when I get to crank it up! Its very clean for being a block letter. I have new tubes coming this week too so I can get my favorites into it. But so far I'm definitely digging it, especially for the price!

[img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I am going to start compiling the data tonight.

Comment

Bill is definetly better than Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman
                                "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Working...
                                X