Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best brand new overall amp for metal LIVE!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best brand new overall amp for metal LIVE!!

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, but you're assuming, or at least that's what it comes off as, we're not capable of making those stacks sound good or better than your cheap(er) gear.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not assuming anything BTW: my Marshall Cabinets aren't cheap gear
    I've already played 2,000.00 heads thru the cabinets and the heads don't sound 1,000.00s better then the 500.00 heads
    But again thats just me

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      [ QUOTE ]
      Yeah, but you're assuming, or at least that's what it comes off as, we're not capable of making those stacks sound good or better than your cheap(er) gear.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not assuming anything BTW: my Marshall Cabinets aren't cheap gear
      I've already played 2,000.00 heads thru the cabinets and the heads don't sound 1,000.00s better then the 500.00 heads
      But again thats just me

[/ QUOTE ]

Once you get to the $1000.00+ mark regarding amps and cabinets, the differences become more subtle and personal.
      Most of the time.... a $2000.00 amp head is going to sound a heck of alot better than a $500.00 amp head. Its going to be built better too. I would like to know which $500.00 and $2000.00 amp heads you have tried. I have been playing for almost 30 years and I can tell you from my experience that most $2000.00 amp heads I have played (not to many at that price range) sounded WAY THE FUCK better than a $500.00 amp head. Especially the high gain metal amps.

Comment

Hey jgcable I understand what your looking for no efx/ods, but not many guitarists go direct to the amp head, no efx/ ods?
        JCM 800 amps sound kinda crappy without a good OD and EQ
        if I didnt have my efx I wouldn't have had a cool sound with that head
        But that sounds like a topic for another thread

Comment

I have used many types of Heads, all price ranges
          Marshall
          Messa
          Ibanez
          VHT
          Earth
          Peavey
          Fender
          All 100w heads same guitar, same cabinets

I don't use the gain/od channels
          I use the clean channels with preamps or stomp bxs
          So how the clean channel sounds to me is more important
          Which is not what your looking for
          And the 300.00 head S.S. had a better clean sound to me then the 1,000 amp, not as loud, but its not about volume

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Marshall
            Messa
            Ibanez
            VHT
            Earth
            Peavey
            Fender

And the 300.00 head S.S. had a better clean sound to me then the 1,000 amp, not as loud, but its not about volume

[/ QUOTE ]

If you would use the clean channel of a VHT instead of the lead channel...

*shakes head, walks away*

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Marshall
              Messa
              Ibanez
              VHT
              Earth
              Peavey
              Fender

[/ QUOTE ]

You would use the CLEAN channel on a VHT for metal and ignore the lead channel entirely?

I think we're being trolled here.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                [ QUOTE ]
                Marshall
                Messa
                Ibanez
                VHT
                Earth
                Peavey
                Fender

[/ QUOTE ]

You would use the CLEAN channel on a VHT for metal and ignore the lead channel entirely?

I think we're being trolled here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont like it, but then again thats just me
                I would take a Marshall 100w JCM 800 with preamps/ods over most amps
                I have never used amp overdrive cept the JCM800 50w master volume heads I own, and I used preamps/ods with them, which is not what this post is about, but thats my prefrence.

Comment

A; I don't play my Mesa because it cost more than someone else's amp. I play it, because I liked it. I actually didn't have the cash for a new amp, when I went amp shopping, and took out a loan.

B; I had a JCM800 2210 just recently, that amp could easilly do metal, without any gain or boost. (JG and Twister can attest to this). The clean channel on it DID sound like ass, no two ways about it.

C; If you're happy with the tone you get out of a 400$ amp, that's wonderful. When I go to the music store, and just wank away, I often plug into an AVT, then into a Fender MH, and I was even playing a Blue Voodoo for the past two weeks.

Tone is in the ear, and if you're happy with what you're using, great. I didn't come here to start a fight about my amp being better than anyone elses. Hell, there are days, when I hate my amp.

Comment

Putting a stomp box in front of a clean channel on an amp doesn't "comply" with my original topic.
                    Here is my take on your position StarRider... A Boss Metal Zone (it is one of my favorite distortion boxes) used on the clean channel pretty much evens out a $500.00 amp with a $2000.00 amp because what you are hearing is primarily the Metal Zone circuit. The amp is basically powering it and coloring it a little. That is EXACTLY why you feel that a $2000.00 amp doesn't sound 4 times better than a $500.00 amp. I'll tell you what.. A/B a $500.00 solid state amp with a distortion pedal on the clean channel with a "cheap" amp like a Peavey 5150. Nuff said..

Comment

What kind of "metal" that's the deal here..Marshall 800s and etc. like a 2210 are great but they're a very traditional , classic 80's tone...which is NOT a bad thing..if that's what you're looking for...I still love my Marshall Rack which is the epitome of all that is 80's metal.. VH , Savatage , Ratt , Dokken , and it even goes into Shuldiner / Grover territory.

Then you have the much heavier , brutal , modern metal tones like my Uberschall .., Avenger or Fireball..but for those who don't want to spend or don't have that kind of cash for a amp such as this stuff.

Then a 5150 will do in a pinch for more modern metal tones..especially for the money...best bang for the buck..IMO
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Have any of you guys who play really loud onstage in a small club ever walked around with a wireless and noticed how you end up with 'hot spots' where the guitar is excruciating, and then there are spots where you can't hear the guitar well? Or is this just me? I try to run as much volume onstage as I need, but nothing crazy - I just want to be able to hear over the drums onstage, for the most part. I let the PA do the heavy lifting.

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

yup - I have done that but you have to take into consideration that everything changes once people are there. Unless you play for bartenders and barmaids then doing that soundcheck in an empty club isnt what will happen when the crowd gets there [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] The human body is a good sound dampener [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                        shawnlutz.com

Comment

I walk around a bit after we get some people in there too. Bodies absorb some of the sound, but it seems to make the 'hot spots' even worse. A 4x12 cab is directional as hell.

Pete

Comment

" A 4x12 cab is directional as hell."

Oh very, especially straight cabs..opposed to slants.

But I prefer the extra girth of a straight cab for some reason.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Listen up, bitches! This is the only amp you need. It OWNS!! Tube Cruncher, yeah!!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Joe put a BBE 422 in the loop! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X