Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best brand new overall amp for metal LIVE!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best brand new overall amp for metal LIVE!!

[img]/images/graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] It doesn't have a loop, but I can drill one out! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

yes , and put a glory hole in that thing..while yer at it!

may as well.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Hey that JMP is flawlessy mint..is that a re-issue..I think it's Chucks..it's purdy!
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

That's my uber-clean Marshall JMP...and I can't recommend it in this stupid thread, 'cause the title says "New" amps...

Comment

Nothing a little time travel wouldnt fix...

Comment

Yeah, true...I gotta build me one of them machines.
            Can I borrow your schematics?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Listen up, bitches! This is the only amp you need. It OWNS!! Tube Cruncher, yeah!!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

dude thats so lame, those gorilas blow dickweed, the real amp is the mighty Pignose and don't you veer forget that mister! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

And Chuck I have a NOS one so does that count as being new? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Yeah, true...I gotta build me one of them machines.
                Can I borrow your schematics?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ehh, mine is all screwed up. It just left me in the 80s...

Comment

cheap but great amps, all under 500.00 cept the Crate and Peavey which are about 599.00
                  B-52 LG 200 AS
                  Fender MH 500
                  Ibanez TB-100
                  Behringer V-Ampire LX1200H Modeling Head
                  Line 6 Spider II HD Head
                  Randall RH200G2 200W Amp Head
                  Crate GT3500H 350W Guitar Head
                  Peavey XXL 100W Guitar Amp Head

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Putting a stomp box in front of a clean channel on an amp doesn't "comply" with my original topic.
                    Here is my take on your position StarRider... A Boss Metal Zone (it is one of my favorite distortion boxes) used on the clean channel pretty much evens out a $500.00 amp with a $2000.00 amp because what you are hearing is primarily the Metal Zone circuit. The amp is basically powering it and coloring it a little. That is EXACTLY why you feel that a $2000.00 amp doesn't sound 4 times better than a $500.00 amp. I'll tell you what.. A/B a $500.00 solid state amp with a distortion pedal on the clean channel with a "cheap" amp like a Peavey 5150. Nuff said..

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree 100%
                    Thats why I use BOSS and Digitech Stomp bxs
                    Because your Metal Zone or Metal Master now become your Preamp section
                    Not correct for this post.
                    But thats how I played in the 80s, Marshalls amps with BOSS OD-1
                    And today
                    Ibanez or B-52 amps into MZ or MM stomp bxs

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

dude thats so lame, those gorilas blow dickweed, the real amp is the mighty Pignose and don't you veer forget that mister! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                      Ok. Thanks for schooling me, sir! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Actually, a really good inexpensive amp is the Fender RocPro 1000. Those things rocked!! I kinda miss mine.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I don't play anywhere that requires a 100w tube amp. Thats why I bring 2 of them to the gig. My problem is that I am too nice to the sound guy. NOT ANYMORE DUDE. Go fuck yourself soundguy. Its my way or the fucking highway. From now on I am turning my amp up. Deal with it dick. Thanks Deneb. You are 100% correct.

[/ QUOTE ]
                          [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          ...until he pulls you completely out of the mix...and during your solos, he turns up the other guy [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] (they do that anyways-you don't need to piss em off to get bad results) [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
                          You don't want to get into volume wars with the sound guy. [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]

Comment

You guys genuinely like the metal zone? I picked up one up for cheap. I haven't tried it on a tube amp but it really sounds stiff through a modeler on a bunch of clean settings.

I wondered how those Ibanez amps sound. Carvin too has had some really killer deals on their ss heads...forget the name of them.

Anyways, it's very subjective on this. I'm a bargain shopper and I've picked up some great used amps for under 500.00.
                            Some of them are one trick or few trick ponies depending on how you use them.
                            I could sell all my accumulated bargains and buy a newer Cornford or a Bogner or Soldano or two.
                            (maybe I should-save alot of space) I can perfectly well jump on that bandwagon, the boutique amp place is just up the street. I collect some stuff because it is a unique piece of amp history as well...this is the 9th amp Dennis Kager built in his basement, these were Hiwatt clones..etc..if I keep going, I'll likely have a good warehouse full. I might as well buy some building space and open a store.

The extra features can start ringing up the price..two or three channel heads with reverb, point to point handwired, vintage reissue,..etc..

Anyways.. this is a great idea for a thread, but it is very subjective to ones likes and needs. A brand new metalish amp? which metal? For the amount I play live, I'm not just playing solely metal nor would it justify spending 2-3 grand on an amp. But I understand, tone is a very personal thing and to some, money shouldn't be an obstacle when you'll spend alot just trying to figure it out as to what it is will do it for you.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Have any of you guys who play really loud onstage in a small club ever walked around with a wireless and noticed how you end up with 'hot spots' where the guitar is excruciating, and then there are spots where you can't hear the guitar well? Or is this just me? I try to run as much volume onstage as I need, but nothing crazy - I just want to be able to hear over the drums onstage, for the most part. I let the PA do the heavy lifting.

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, I have noticed that. I find even where I face the cab or place the cab onstage can effect the mix. Up against this wall or faced a certain way..it'll create a weird resonance in some frequencies much like a bass or PA cab will in a stage or a room. Then I end up exchanging words with the drummer who is getting killed by guitar volume or the sound guy who complains about the unwanted variables I've created.
                              I sometimes try to use as little stage wash going out to the floor in some clubs..it really depends on what I have to work with for space and volume. If it's really space restricted, I have to put my cab elevated or on a amp stand tilted towards me.
                              You'll get hot spots if you face your cab offstage, and where the PA doesn't carry in some parts, you'll have a dead spots. The PA cabs (depending on the type you're using) also have a certain spot where they'll blend and you'll hear the full mix well and in others, it'll be tweets & mids blaring.

Comment

A little story regarding a Metalzone. I used to use one in front of the clean channel of a Randall RG100ES head and a 4 x 12 cabinet for rehearsal. The other guitarist used a Dual Rectifier 1/2 stack. For band rehearsal in my basement we thought the sound was great. Super heavy, scooped and chunky. FAST FORWARD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                                We did a fairly large gig and brought the exact same set up we rehearse with. This was one of those loud gigs. The Dual Rectifier KILLED. My Randall/Metal Zone rig VANISHED INTO THIN AIR. I couldn't hear myself. My guitar sounded like a transistor radio turned up loud. It even sounded worse through the PA. I resulted in tossing the Metal Zone and just using the distortion from the 100w Randall head. My best result using a clean channel and a distortion pedal was in the early 80's my rig consisted of:
                                Hiwatt 100w head played dead clean
                                Two 4 x 12 Marshall red cabinets loaded with Jensens and EV's.
                                MXR Distortion +
                                MXR Phase 90
                                Echoplex tape machine for 1 year and then an old Ibanez Analog Delay for the rest of the time.
                                Floor tuner.
                                Our sound guy would turn me up for guitar solos so I didn't need a solo boost. If he couldn't handle it I had a Pedal EQ with the mids boosted for a little extra solo presence.
                                It was a totally simple setup.

Back in the late 70's and very early 80's it was next to impossible to find a high powered amp that could do metal with no outboard help. There were only a few manufacturers and they all were well beyond the financial reach of most of us longhairs. I remember when the Laney Pro Tube first came out. It had a ton more gain than the JCM800's had at the time. It was huge news. Especially when Demartini started using them.

Comment

Working...
                                X