new VHT 2/50/2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new VHT 2/50/2

Just got a VHT 2/50/2 el34 power amp for my rack, the Marshall el34 50/50 is dead, and I'm sick of getting it repaired every month! Looking forward to the VHT, I'm guessing it should be a cut above the marshall (which I really loved the tone of)? I'll probably try and do a wee review when I get it through,
    cheers

Re: new VHT 2/50/2

I would be really interested in reading your review. I was interested in one for a while now.

Comment

Having owned a Marshall EL34 100/100, and being the current owner of a VHT 2150, I can tell you that you'll be ecstatic with the VHT. No comparision whatsoever. You now have a truly pro user power amp.

Yep, my Marshall was always breaking as well.

I know you will love the VHT.

Comment

I have an old 9000 series 50/50 marshall poweramp that I just recently got. Ive heard they last forever compared to the new ones. Wish me luck everyone... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah, they do seem to have a better track record than the later ones.

Can't say I've heard much bad about them failing etc.

Comment

I've played around with the 2.90 with the KT88 tubes and am waiting to add to it to my rig. It made my XT Live come to life, and as good it sounds on my current rig w/ a Powerblock, it sounded 100X better with the VHT

Comment

Cool, the amp arrived today. I'll stick it in my rack tonight and see how it sounds. First impressions are that the build quality is MILES better than the marshall, it exudes quality and there has obviously been a lot of thought put into the layout inside that suggests it has been designed for reliability as well as sound. Can't wait to hear it in action!
              cheers

Comment

If you like your tone very think and heavy at LOUD volume levels..personally I'd yank the EL34s..

if you prefer EL34s for part of your tone ..with compression , distortion and coloration ..then they're cool..like old Marshalls.

I definitely prefer KT88s , ...5881 (6L6) , 6550s for my taste..John's VHT 2150 w/ KT88s..damn thing weighs a ton but it sounds like a ton as well...huge bottom end.

My Uber has EL34's , I'm working with it getting it louder without changing what I dialed in on the preamp section..

I may change over to 6550s on the Uber..I was told I can easily change them back to orignal if I wanted to sell it..I was talking to John's bud ..a mutual friend who can do this with no prob.

My Marshall monoblock is w the 5881s and they sound MUCHO better to me than the El34 version...by far IMO!
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

cheers man,
                  I think I'm probably more of an EL34 fan. I've borrowed my mate's 9100 with 5881s and I'm not keen on the sound at all- too clean and brittle (although that might be his amp that needs attention! heheh). I've tried a few amps with 5881s and generally find they have too much bass and not enough mid.

I definitely use a fair amount of power amp distortion. I almost never used the marshall EL34 at full volume either, so I don't need or want to make the amp louder- I want power tube compression & mid range bite!

having said that, I think I'll experiment with different valves at some point, just to make sure... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Even tuhough I'm not really an EL34 fan, I feel VHT (by FAR) makes the most out of EL34s tubes compared to any other amps that I have heard. They definitely would be my only choice in an EL34 tubed amp without a doubt.

Comment

"I've tried a few amps with 5881s and generally find they have too much bass and not enough mid."

Exactly why I like 'em..but if you rely on poweramp distortion..EL34s are perfect..

I rely on preamp distortion and want the least amount of coloration possible from power tubes..for my style of crap.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

yep, it's definitely a matter of personal taste!
                        Well, I had a blast of the amp at our rehearsal room last night, and compared to the marshall, I found it had WAY more bass- I had to change my preamp settings a fair bit with this amp compared to the marshall. The bass is there if you need it, but it also had plenty presence bite which can be dialed in too. Overall this is a much more versatile amp with much smoother controls (none of the usual nothing, nothing, too much! heheh).

My sound is something like Glenn Tipton playing death metal, which the marshall was perfect for, and I found I could get an almost identical sound with this amp, a little smoother but in the room I didn't hear that much difference. When I recorded some stuff though, I could hear a BIG difference- it felt like the EQ on the desk had a lot more power- I could heavily EQ the recording and it'd still sound good, but different, whereas the marshall would usually only sound good with one particular sound and the EQ on the desk made it sound like ass (either too buzzy or too much flabby bass end, muffled).
                        This amp can cut, chunk and growl and sounds just as good doing any of them. At some times I did feel as if there was maybe a little too much distortion coming from the EL34s, but with some messing around you can set it for less by avoiding pushing out the presence & depth (I only really used class A/B, class A didn't sound quite right for me), so I guess that just means more versatility.
                        I'm almost glad my marshall broke, which is saying something cos I loved that amp and I still wish I could afford to hang onto it for another option. The VHT cost £150 more 2nd hand, but it was definitely worth it, cos the quality difference is night and day!
                        cheers
                        Callum

Comment

Hey Callum , My Uber has EL34s. When the amp is pushed loud enough to a decent levels , with a loud drummer / Band. The character and feel of the preamp changes. I definitely do get that "Growl" with the Uber. That may be due to the El34s..hmmm.

John's (Cleveland Metal) Cae / VHT 2150 w / the KT88s...he did a lot of messing around with tubes and stuff. The Low end goes into some sub levels ..it stays tight / clean when pushed.

This is an off the cuff riff with my Wolfgang tuned to D and and the "D Tuna" dropped down..so I'm really down there. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Its really does has a massive low end and maintains major tightness.

http://www.clevelandmetalzone.com/mp3/billberschall.mp3

Comment

Hey Bill, yeah, plenty low end going on in that sample! heheh. sounds like a juggernaut! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                            I do like listening to bands with that sound, but for some reason I prefer a more middly sound to play through myself- I find it easier to cut through the live mix without having to turn up too much. I played through one of those extra deep mesa boogie 4x12s at a gig once and I didn't like it at all, way too deep sounding (obviously didn't like my amp). There's an old recording of my band here http://www.achren.com/downloads/On%2...War%20(hq).mp3

with the jmp-1s into the marshall power amp and an old Selmer (and no bass guitar). I'm dying to spend some time recording with the new set up though, I'll definitely get some samples up here to see what you guys think! heheh.
                            cheers
                            Callum

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]....No Shit..

Yeah Man that's my other rig the whole Marshall shabang..JMP-1/9200 w/5881/JFX-1/BBE422/..four 1960Bs

That's great , I like it when folks say you can't use the JMP-1 for heavier music..ahhh NOOOOOoooooooo. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

and by the sound of your solo..the gain / volume is not even maxed on the OD2 channel..right??

Dude did you check out my clips..All Uberschall with a JMP-i used for solos..they're posted in "The uber live" and "best metal am live" threads..I get a big time Dimebag tone outta my JMP-1 with 535Q wah.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X