calling all jcm800 2210 owners!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• calling all jcm800 2210 owners!

i'm sure we all can agree that those marshall heads sound KILLER, even going straight guitar->amp

my question is, what do all you 2210 owners run with your amp to make it sound even better? eq pedals, bbe, overdrive boxes, hotplates, etc...post anything.
    i'm asking because i currently own one (and i think i'll NEVER sell it...i hope so), and i wonder if there are any secret weapons regarding this amp?

fragle

Re: calling all jcm800 2210 owners!

Throw a Boss GE-7 in the loop

Comment

*****i'm sure we all can agree that those marshall heads sound KILLER, even going straight guitar->amp*****

Acctually, we can't. SOME of them sound like absolute ass, and belong in the garbage, or gutted and a new amp made from scratch.

Comment

well, i've yet to play or even hear a bad one....but, yeah, i guess there are some bad ones out there. however, i'm convinced the majority of them sounds incredible - if the marshall roar is what you're looking for....no super smooth mark II c+ gain in there

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          well, i've yet to play or even hear a bad one....but, yeah, i guess there are some bad ones out there. however, i'm convinced the majority of them sounds incredible - if the marshall roar is what you're looking for....no super smooth mark II c+ gain in there

[/ QUOTE ]

Fragle, great signature! What's the story behind it?

Comment

I hate to admit it as I hate this preamp, but my friend got a FEROCIOUS sound running a JMP-1 preamp into his. THAT was seriously cool sounding...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              [ QUOTE ]
              ....sounded like a dying donkey braying through an ugly cheerleader's megaphone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fragle, great signature! What's the story behind it?

[/ QUOTE ]

That was from a POD review... I saw that too.

Comment

the Boss SD-1 is the "standard" for metal when it comes to pushing the front end of a marshall.

the trick to this is to turn the gain off on the SD-1 and boost the level and use the tone knob as a contour control.
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Nothing...!

It has JUST enough gain to do whatever I wanted , as does my JMP-1 for clasic metal tones ..VH/Savtage/Ratt/Dokken etc..

BBEs do NOT work well in the loop of a 2210..of course I've tried. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

What does make them really sing , is your favorite delay and or effect pedals (BossDD3)..they seem to accept STOMPS better than rack units in the loop IMO . But a rack unit EQ wouldn't hurt...that's how I ran mine..

Don't try to make a 2210 sound like an Uber..it won't work..yeah running shit in the front like a SD-1 / TS9 / DS-1 / Metal Zone or whatever will make it "heavier"..noisier too..but not better.

It sounds best as is and left alone as it was intended..really nails a latter day Criss Oliva tone big time..He didn't use any stomps in the dirty side..just the gain that amp had..anywher from HOTMK to EOT tone!!

Sometimes less is More..IMO!!!

John, I think your dude uses a older single channel 2203 or something..2210s already have the JMP-1-ish diode in them..I had ran two dual channel 2210s before buying my rack..

They were the last of the 800s before the the lamer JCM 900 came out...that was the begining of the end for Marshall.
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    *****i'm sure we all can agree that those marshall heads sound KILLER, even going straight guitar->amp*****

Acctually, we can't. SOME of them sound like absolute ass, and belong in the garbage, or gutted and a new amp made from scratch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow... I have never played or heard a bad 2210 either. I suppose that there must be a few out there that sound like ass but I would guess they probably have problems. The 2210 is regarded as one of the best JCM's ever made. I agree. Its a monster and is certainly not for the timid.

Comment

yeah 2210s are MY personal favorire Marshall heads because I never needed a stomp in front of it..it has the gain structure and smoothness of a JMP-1 preamp to me...which is exactly why I bought and still own it. It is a tone that I have been weened on..I can't ever ditch it. It's everything I love about "classsic" 80's metal tone..especially Criss Oliva's and EVH..That's the "tone" I always gravitated to. My 2210s gave me that..as does my Marshall rack.

I seemed to ike my rack better JUST for the fact that it has always been very consistant...with heads ..any head..anyone ever notice that it will sound awesome one day and just not the same the next. I always that is was just my ears or imagination..until I got my Rack..It's always the same. I go thru my patches and it just there.

My taste in music has become much heavier thru the years and I prefer to play my Uber nowadays..but I still play my Marshall all the time..I love the lead tones..same kind of lead tones of the 2210..very similiar!!

But I can play all my heavy stuff that I do and get by with a 2210 with no distortion'overdrive stomp..with NO problem!!

all other Marshalls I always needed a stomp...I love old JMPs!

Just a little delay and maybe some eq is all I neede with the 2210s...I've tried the BBE in the loop of the amp so many times..and it just didn't take to it well at all. My rack does fine with it.

BBEs work well with two amps heads that I've tried so far..a Crate BV..and it does wonders for a 5150!!

My bud uses a BBE with his POD and it wakes that up too a bit...it help more than not..so any POD owners out there..you may want to invesigate that.
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

They need all the help they can get too...

Comment

2210s are my faverite Marshalls also, but I have played WAY MORE bad ones than good ones.

Comment

The only marshalls I really like are the old Plexis, anything after JCM 800 series suck so hard IMO
                            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

+1, but they want so much for a plexi it's silly.

Comment

Working...
                              X