calling all jcm800 2210 owners!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: calling all jcm800 2210 owners!

mh....nothing else than putting an eq in the loop?! ok...

by the way, i noticed the lead channel volume adds a lot of gain and punch when turned up...besides adding volume, of course. i tend to run it pretty high, and the master around 12 o clock...usually.
    i wonder how you other guys tend to set it up? i was also thinking about running the master at 10, and controlling the output by adjusting the channel volume, but i haven`t tried that live yet.

Comment

It doesn't make much difference. The biggest difference I noticed was:
      Running a GE-7 in the loop or
      Running a BBE 362 in the loop

Either one gave the 2210 alot more bottom end and punch at lower volumes.

Comment

mh...i guess i'll try a ge-7 then.

i did a little amp shootour today...2210 vs. engl blackmore...for those who are interested in a detailed post just tell me.
        anyways, bottom line is that the marshall sounds just BETTER. nothing growls like a marshall, it seems. thats why i started this thread...i've decided to work some more with the 2210, maybe i can fix what i don't like about it..would save me a hell lot of $$, thats for sure. (imho it lacks some bottom end (not too much, though), as well as a dedicated lead channel...maybe putting a ge7 in the loop and eq-ing for rhythm with the volume slightly cut can give me those boosted mids and volume i'd like to have for leads)

Comment

look dude. that "lacking in the low end" is so your bass player has a reason to be there!
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

i do see a point in what you're saying. however, we're only tuned to D, so there's none of that natural heavyness you get when playing for example seven strings.
            furthermore, our bass player is using
            1) an ampeg svt4 pro....prolly one of the loudest one ampeg makes...it's awesome
            2)a 5 string bass....lowest string tuned to A...down there you don't hear any pitch imho, just low end rumble and punch. it's actually so low that i couldn't drown him out even if i tried to.

besides, having the lows cranked on an old marshall is similar to barely turning the lows past 8 o'clock on a rectumfrier. hell, even less....

Comment

I agree with Reb although having a little more bottom in your guitar sound isn't a bad thing. The GE-7 will do it for you.
              You know.. you could run a BBE 422 in the loop with the GE-7. Use the BBE to fatten up your 2210 and use the GE-7 for solo boost. That would work real good and it would turn your 2210 into a 3 channel amp with nice bottom end chunk.
              BBE also makes a stomp box version which gets really good reviews and its pretty cheap. This way you could just add 2 pedals in the loop (BBE always on), (GE-7 for solo boost) and you would be good to go. That is basically what I use with my 5150. GE-7 for solo boost in the loop and a BBE to give it the UBERness that I was told about. [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

You ever miss that 2210 Jg?

Comment

I didn't think the BBE geled that well with mine..It sounded more "pure" without out it to me..

But TRY IT!!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

i'm curious: do E34L tubes work in a stock 2210? i know there are some amps that don't work with them (namely the triple XXX when set to el34 mode).
                    furthermore, did anyone actually try that? supposedly E34Ls have a bit more power and bottom end punch. while a 2210 certainly doesn't need more power than it already has, it could certainly benefit from some added chunk and punch.

other than that, i'm gonna pick up a GE7 soon...maybe tomorrow. so basically besides running an EQ through the loop and maybe an overdrive in front of it theres no way to get a (slightly, remember) more brutal sound - except for changing the tubes, see above.
                    i've got a TS7 somewhere, i'll try it in front of the 2210 when playing the next gig. however, i've tried it with my old mesa DC5, as well as the laney i had, and iirc it added some type of coating to the sound that wasn't really desirable for rhythms - definitely made leads sing, though.
                    maybe the 2210 is different, though.

Comment

the gain of the 2210 is VER smoth and rich like my KMP-1 preamp..it jsut has ENOUGH gain to get you thru any style of music really..from ac/dc..VH..to Savatge..that is what Criss Used on his last tour before he dies and was his best tone IMO..

I heard that a Boss GE 7 work wonders with that amp..

I ran two 2210s with four 1960B cabs I ran a Lexicon and two ADA 31 band eqs with mine it sounded great!!

Heavy too..My favorite Marshall head for metal really..

The only prob with a 2210..which wasn't a problen for me..is that there was "bleed thru" into the clean channel..that was a common complaint that I noticed and heard from others..But I don't use clean channels..so it wasn't an issue.

OH , I do remember this about those amps..The ohmage makes a difference..I forgot where I used set mine with the cabs.. you have a choice ...but I remebered liking one over the other..

same goes with a 5150 I always tried to run a 5150 at 4 ohms whenever possible...it just sounded "sweeter" to me..maybe it was just my imagination..but I swear it made a bit of a difference.
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                      X