• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AB-2 2-Way Selector. What to get?

I'm looking for something to switch between my
    JCM 800 and GT-5.
    Whats a good AB 2way selector? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    The BOSS AB-2 2-Way Selector? or something else.
    What do you use?
    Finn

Re: AB-2 2-Way Selector. What to get?

Whirlwind, its powered, can go as either as a switch from A or B or both A and B at the same time. I used one for years, used and abused and it still works like a champ -- and I bought it around 83 or 84.
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Thanks Shawn.
      After reading some reviews,
      I went with the Whirlwind.
      Should be here mid-week.
      Finn

Comment

Update:
        I started using my “Whirlwind”- A/B selector box with my
        JCM 800 (2204) and Boss GT-5.
        The Marshall connects to my new Avatar 2x12 cab loaded with Vin30 and a G12H 70th anniversary, (THD hotplate in between)
        The GT-5 to my 2 Roland KC-100 keyboard amps.(1 on each side of the 2x12)
        I split the two with the Whirlwind A/B box.

Wow. Now I know what you guys with the Vetta II heads were raving about when you combine different amps at the same time.

For instance, when playing “King Diamond-Black Horseman,
        I start with the GT-5, with the 12-string acoustic patch on. When the lead acoustic starts I click over to the Classical acoustic patch. Then back to the 12 string patch to finish the intro.
        When the Guitars kick in I have both the GT-5 (a metal patch I made) and the JCM 800 on at the same time. The fullness of the sound makes my hair rise.
        When the singing takes command I back off the volume on the GT-5 and let the JCM 800 take over. I slowly increase GT-5 volume to widen the sound back out to almost match the Marshall’s volume.
        I adjust volume on the GT-5 through out the song as not to drown out the vocals.
        When the lead starts, I click on the delay on the GT-5 (short snap delay).
        I don’t know what Mike, uses but it sounds good enough to me.
        So if you guys got a couple of amps sitting around, give a
        A/B box a whirl.
        Without a loop in the JCM 800 it’s the next best thing.
        (For me at least.)
        p.s. I’m playing in my small spare room at home using a Transcriber program on my computer to play along with songs . Computer sound splits from the soundcard to the Logitech 5.1 surround and ch. 2 on the 2 KC-100 amps.
        I’m looking forward to try it in a bigger place.

Comment

Cool Finn, I'm glad it worked out for you. If you got the black one with purple writig on it its built like a tank [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

yup, thats the one [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
            X