Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My take on the Vetta (pay attention Chuck!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My take on the Vetta (pay attention Chuck!)

First of all, I'm not even going to call this a review, because I wouldn't put my self in the same category as a lot of the experts around here. I'm just someone who (for the most part) has been using tube amps for the past 17 years and is of the opinion that solid state does not even come close to anything with tubes.

I have a POD XT that I use for recording trough my computer/Alesis Monitor ONE MK2 speakers. I have always been impressed with the POD. I never felt it could keep up with a tube amp, but it's pretty damn close and it beats miking a cab at high volume every time you want to throw a track down.

After gigging with my current band for about 3 months, I started considering using a modeling amp since we are a cover band. Sure I can get a killer tone from my single rectifier, but it's very one dimensional and a pain to lug around with my Mesa 4x12 halfback and G-major/power supply in a two space rack bag. How cool would it be to have a combo that could do it all in one package.

Well, I bought Brads Vetta combo. I had it shipped to my place of work. It came Friday and I plugged into it late that night after a long day so I wasn't in the mood to noodle much. From just flipping through the user patches that were already there, I know I was going to switch to the modeling dark side. I couldn't believe the bottom end it had. Un-frickin-believable!

I spent a good couple of hours starting to set up my patches today. I like to tweak and this thing is all about the tweaking. If you are a plug and play kind of player, don't bother. It's easy enough in my opinion, but there is a lot to it and if you don’t have the patients, you'll never make it past the factory presets. I particularly like to start from scratch although there were a few good user patches that I started from (thanks Brad!).

I like using line 6 edit through my PC for editing, but it's easy enough without it. It's amazing how you loose the concept of time while going through all the models, effects, output settings and such. There is so many ways you can go.

As far as the sound? Like I said, I'm not a tube purist or expert for that matter, but this is a damn good imitation. Of course if you put them side by side, I'm sure the tube amp would win, but only on pure tone. The Vetta kills anything in its price range on versatility alone. No, it's not going to replace your Uber, Plexi or Twin Reverb, but it comes close enough to have all of those in one package.

A few things I didn't like......

There is a little hesitation in switching patches. This is very minor and not really bad at all, but I'm used to the G-major which is pretty seamless in changing patches.

I also find it a little cumbersome to adjust the levels of the individual patches if you are stacking amp models. If you have two different amp models in on patch each one has there own level. Actual this is a way of mixing the two models to get a desired tone (very cool BTW). If you need to lower that patch to match another patch, you have to lower both masters the same amount to retain your desired mix. Again, this is nothing too huge. It would just be nice to have a volume for each patch over the individual amps.

This wins over my single Rectifier for gigging any day of the week. Now if I were in an original band that would be a different story. For the original bands I've been in, I preferred to create my own sound and go with it. If it's a cover/original band, same thing. Then I don't mind using "my" tone for the covers because it's my original band doing some covers. It's my opinion that a cover band should try and do the covers justice as best as they can. That’s what the people came to hear. I've had one tone for my current band and that’s ok if you are only covering one genre of music. I want to be able to go from Cheap Trick to Metallica as accurately as possible. Will the people notice? Maybe not, but I will and If I'm happy, I sound better and play better.

Will I sell my current rig? I may, but only because I usually don't like to sit on gear that I don't use. I don't see the Vetta spending much time out of use!

Of course, the real test will be with the full band this week, but I can't this thing not sounding good with the full band.

I hope this doesn't turn into a Modeling vs. Tube thread. This is just one armature’s story. Someone who can see that advantages of both. For me, the Vetta fits the bill. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

"My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Re: My take on the Vetta (pay attention Chuck!)

Welcome to the family Jim! I sold my 750XL within hours of posting it on ebay, so my Vetta is staying with me for awhile. If you have any questions, feel free to email me.

Pete

Comment

Logical..

Although I am strictly a original guitarist ..That HD 147 has my curiousity..

The Vetta seemed too coplex for my monkey ass to tweak..maybe it's not that hard to dial with once you know what your doing..But at GC it felt like I was playing with the space shuttle while twiddlin' with this thing!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Jim, the hesitation you mentioned switching between patches is most likely adjustable. You can program the delay between channel switching. Just go into the menue and set it for immediate. Having a delay between channel switching is useful in some applications but certainly not for yours.
        Also, be careful with the amp stacking. I have found that when you stack amps at a low volume they sound totally different when you turn the amp up. Its really important to save patches at the approximate volume you will be using them at.

Comment

Thanks Jim!! That was a great intro for me to read and understand! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Good first take...keep us updated.

Comment

It sounds like it would be fun running through all the different pre-sets and amps. To me its just another amp or tool that is useful only if you use it for the right job [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Sounds like the perfect cover material amp [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Its like a computer. The more you use it the more useful it becomes.

Comment

I've owned nothing but Line 6 amps since I started playing more seriously, and everytime I sell em cause I don't like em. I have an XTL I might sell, but reviews like this just make me come back and try their new products. Damnit! I've always said there are only 2 amps that ever gave me a hard on, the 5150 and the old Randall RG100, and yet I still buy Spiders/POD's/XTL's for use. Maybe I'm in denial, lol, but anyhoo, thanks for postin that review dude

Comment

Couple of things ..

1) Sully had a great story about Pete and his Vetta at an amp show next to VHT's and such!! hopefully he'll post it

2) The vetta isn't perfect, but it does a lot good
                    3) The problem is that there is so much option available you can easily overthink your patches!
                    4) The biggest thing I love is being able to make thick sounding patches for low bedroom volume and still be able to have an amp to pplay against a live drummer that sounds good at high Vol ..
                    Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

I had a similar story as Petes when we A/B'd a Dual Rectifier, a Triple Rectifier and a Vetta 2 at Guitar Center in the soundproof room. We used the same cabinet on each. A stock Mesa Boogie oversized slang 4 x 12.
                      The Vetta smoked the Mesa's in every respect. Tone, volume and punch. It was actually MUCH louder than the Dual. The Triple was louder at full volume but it was unplayable because of feedback and noise. The Vetta was completely silent. For anybody reading this... stacking amps is the coolest thing ever. Having the ability to stack a Silver Jubilee on top of a 5150 or an Ubershall or Herbert is just sick. The options are endless. I agree though.. the first mistake we made when we got the Vetta 2 home was overthinking the patches. They were all too stacked, too much effects and way too much gain. You have to start with the basics and build slowly.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Logical..

Although I am strictly a original guitarist ..That HD 147 has my curiousity..

The Vetta seemed too coplex for my monkey ass to tweak..maybe it's not that hard to dial with once you know what your doing..But at GC it felt like I was playing with the space shuttle while twiddlin' with this thing!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bill,

I know your not into the newer types of radio metal but last year at NAMM we caught Seether @ the HOB and they were using the HD 147's live..they sounded pretty good ..
                        Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Awesome Jim, I'm glad to hear that your first impressions of the Vetta are positive! You'll find that the time spent tweaking patches will fall rapidly as you mentally assign about 80% of the amp's capabilities into the "I doubt I'll ever use this" category. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

And if there were any good sounds in there you'll have to thank Pete as I believe most if not all of the user patches are from the dump of his Vetta that he posted here some time back. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                          Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            If you have any questions, feel free to email me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh don't worry Pete. You will be hearing from me! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
                            To me its just another amp or tool that is useful only if you use it for the right job

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo Shawn! I wouldn't have bothered if I didn't think it might work for me.

[ QUOTE ]
                            Thanks Jim!! That was a great intro for me to read and understand!

[/ QUOTE ]

You betcha Chuck! Take the dive man. It's worth it!

Irfaan, Patients is the key, if you can get through the initial shock and awe of all the buttons.

[ QUOTE ]
                            2) The vetta isn't perfect, but it does a lot good
                            3) The problem is that there is so much option available you can easily overthink your patches!
                            4) The biggest thing I love is being able to make thick sounding patches for low bedroom volume and still be able to have an amp to pplay against a live drummer that sounds good at high Vol ..

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Bill, I played an HD 147 and it was absolutely crushing. Thats what made me think about going this route. I was actually going to look for an HD 147, but I thought the Vetta would better suit me as I needed more flexibility. The HD 147 is full balls out metal.

Thanks again Brad I'm lovin it.

The more I dig into it, the more I realize that I'm just scratching the surface. This is going to be a work in progress. I can't ever see being "done" creating patches.

I'll let you all know how I make out a band practice.

John, we going to have fun with this. You NEED one!

[img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                            "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

the HD147 sounds awesome from what I've heard
                              Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Working...
                              X