Which amp is the most underrated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which amp is the most underrated?

I've been using and old Marshall JCM800 (solid state, no tubes) and a ADA MP-1 and other various effects for as long as I can remember. I'm been happy with that, but just the other day my amp broke down, and that kinda' gave me an excuse to buy a new one rather than fixing the old one [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] Anyway, I went to this music store and tried out a bunch of old/used amps, with the goal to find a nice amp that I can use WITHOUT using any effects for distortion/overdrive, but rather just find a solid, good sounding amp to use at home. I tried a JCM900 Combo (the Hi Gain version) but that sounded so sharp and piercing to my ears, not at all what I expected. I also tried a Peavey Classis and a Peavey Triumph (both tube amps I believe) and some Laney but didn't find anything that really appealed to me. Then I tried a Crate Vintage Club 50 tube Combo, and man, that amp blew me away! It had such a round and warm tube distortion/overdrive that sounded so good! OK, no extreme overdrive, but still impressingly good and very smooth overdrive, and a really, really sweet clean sound! [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] Has anyone else tried this amp? Do you guys have any other favorite amps that you think are underrated?

Re: Which amp is the most underrated?

Ubershall [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I think it's pretty obvious that Crates get a bad rap, since there's a bunch of people around here that take any opportunity to slag them.

The Randall RGTs are pretty much unknown, but sound killer. Of course they are extremely rare too.
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

The most underrated amp for metal IMHO is the[img]/images/graemlins/baby.gif[/img]

Crate BV120H Blue Voodoo.

Its a damn good amp and almost everybody could afford to buy one. It gets slagged because most of the bad reviews come from kids who don't know their asses from a hole in the ground. I have always been a fan of Crate. I think their VC series is excellent.

Comment

A solid state JCM800? Huh?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            A solid state JCM800? Huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was trying to avoid that issue! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Now, let's NOT focus on my JCM800 [img]/images/graemlins/rant.gif[/img] but on other, good amps instead

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Now, let's NOT focus on my JCM800 [img]/images/graemlins/rant.gif[/img] but on other, good amps instead

[/ QUOTE ]

Why can't we focus on your JCM800? You mentioned that its solid state. I feel I need to inform you that JCM800's are tube amps. Exactly what model of JCM800 do you have??

Comment

It's a 5210 and I can assure you that it's solid state...take a look in the "solid state" section on this website if you wish:
                  http://www.drtube.com/marshall.htm

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    It's a 5210 and I can assure you that it's solid state...take a look in the "solid state" section on this website if you wish:
                    http://www.drtube.com/marshall.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

Well SHUT MY MOUTH. I guess I should have known that. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Back to your topic... another underrated amp are the Carvin X series and Valvemasters. X60, XV112, XV112E, X100B, Valvemaster. These amps are very well made, sound great and are affordable. I have an X60, XV112E, X100B and a T100 and they are all excellent. The X60 is the best out of the bunch though. Its a tone monster.

Comment

Damn right [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks for the input on the amps! I'll see if I find any of those in Sweden [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Interesting to hear that you've tried the Crate VC series; not many people seem to know about them!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Interesting to hear that you've tried the Crate VC series; not many people seem to know about them!

[/ QUOTE ]

I owned a VC508, a VC30 and a VC50 and they were all excellent amps. Well made, loud, and they sounded fantastic.

Comment

Yeah, I was really impressed by the VC50 (double 12" speakers) I tried and it wasn't very expensive either!

Comment

i personally think that the rivera's are underrated amps. especially for metal. i love my m-100 and s-120. in fact those amps are so much a part of my tone, i can barely play through anything else.
                              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X