Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which amp is the most underrated?

[ QUOTE ]
    i personally think that the rivera's are underrated amps. especially for metal. i love my m-100 and s-120. in fact those amps are so much a part of my tone, i can barely play through anything else.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never heard a Rivera be considered underrated. I had the pleasure of hearing a M100. Your right. Outstanding.

Comment

Rivera is often overlooked nowadays.

The Ampeg VL series are also nice amps-often overlooked as well.

Comment

Booberschall..
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

B-52 AT100 for sound and price it's hard to beat. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
          Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
          Amp... Pioneer
          Effects... Boss ME-20

Comment

Peavey Rockmaster pre + Peavey 50/50 power

Comment

I actually like the JCM800 ERA solid state amps. Empesis on "ERA". These were not JCM800s. Doesn't take away from the amp, but a JCM800 it is not. BTW I used to own a 5210. A really cool amp IMO.

Comment

fender roc pro 1000! whoohoo!
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Most under rated amo IMO = Carvin Legacy.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    B-52 AT100 for sound and price it's hard to beat. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I'm going to sell mine. I bought it mostly out of curiosity, not because I needed an amp. I find that I don't even use it, because my Crate and Randall both sound better, much better.
                    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

About the 5210: I bought that some 15 years ago and at that time every metal guitar player, in the city I lived in, with self respect had to own a Marshall [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img] The 5210 sounds OK, but I find it too harsh or whatever it's called in english, especially in comparison to a nice tube amp...thanks for all the input so far!

Comment

Yea, we call it harsh or grainy in the states. The 5210 is giving you a diode clipping distortion similar to a stomp box. What you are looking for is a cascading preamp distortion. My bandmate sometimes rehearses through a Marshall 8080 1 x 12 SS combo. I think it sounds great. Go figure. Another amp that is underrated or overlooked:
                        Galien Krueger ML250 and the RL250.

Comment

I gigged with a GK 250ml MK2 for years going into a BBe and a Marshall 4x12 (wired stereo/mono) with a few pedals and/or 1 rack effect. It's a cool little amp, I take it to auditions or rehearsals where space and volume is an issue or when I don't want to lug a 70lb head and cab. Alex Lifeson used to use one live for some time I guess. I kinda find that a little hard to believe as he's usually into a fairly larger setup..but the 250ml delivers a nice stereo chorus sound and fair reverb. The only issue I have with that amp is the clean is like the ADA MP1, it has to be almost clipping to balance the gain channel in volume.
                          You used to be able to buy the rackmount for like 75.00.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            I gigged with a GK 250ml MK2 for years going into a BBe and a Marshall 4x12 (wired stereo/mono) with a few pedals and/or 1 rack effect. It's a cool little amp, I take it to auditions or rehearsals where space and volume is an issue or when I don't want to lug a 70lb head and cab. Alex Lifeson used to use one live for some time I guess. I kinda find that a little hard to believe as he's usually into a fairly larger setup..but the 250ml delivers a nice stereo chorus sound and fair reverb. The only issue I have with that amp is the clean is like the ADA MP1, it has to be almost clipping to balance the gain channel in volume.
                            You used to be able to buy the rackmount for like 75.00.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, you could trip over RL250's at one point. I saw that Rush tour (Moving Pictures). I was right up front. Alex had an ML250 on a stand right up on stage. I am sure there was more to it than that but it was there.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              The most underrated amp for metal IMHO is the:

Crate BV120H Blue Voodoo.

Its a damn good amp and almost everybody could afford to buy one. It gets slagged because most of the bad reviews come from kids who don't know their asses from a hole in the ground. I have always been a fan of Crate. I think their VC series is excellent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep..BV120H is an awesome amp.

Comment

Marshall Artist 3203

These sound great, especially for the price...and there are a few incredibly simple mods (can you use wire cutters?) that will make it sound even better.

Comment

Working...
                                X