Which amp is the most underrated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which amp is the most underrated?

5150 with a 422 in the loop...BEST bang for the buck for metal!!!

a poor man's uberschall.. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I had that GK, I forgot all about that! It was pretty good sounding IIRC. Iron Maiden and Alex Lifson used these at one point.

Comment

***** I saw that Rush tour (Moving Pictures). I was right up front. Alex had an ML250 on a stand right up on stage.*****

Actually, that is not correct. Moving Pictures era was 2x12 JCM800 Combo amps IIRC. The GK didn't start being used by Alex until Hold Your Fire IIRC.

Comment

Ampeg VH140 (I think that's what it is called?)
          Marshall 8100

Comment

I think Moving Pictures was Hiwatt myself if I recall correctly.
            I saw the tour too. I may even have some pics from it.
            He played a 355 as well as an early PRS (I think it was Les Paul shaped) back then.

Anyways... Epiphone Electar..nice little amp.

Comment

Re: Peavey Ultra

Peavey Ultra`s-Great amps for the money, and very-very versitile. I love my Ultra 60 watt combo, now looking for a really nice 120 Watt head. Jack.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I think Moving Pictures was Hiwatt myself if I recall correctly.
                I saw the tour too. I may even have some pics from it.
                He played a 355 as well as an early PRS (I think it was Les Paul shaped) back then.

Anyways... Epiphone Electar..nice little amp.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it was Permanent Waves?? We did a fair amount of puffin at those concerts.... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  [ QUOTE ]
                  It's a 5210 and I can assure you that it's solid state...take a look in the "solid state" section on this website if you wish:
                  http://www.drtube.com/marshall.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

Well SHUT MY MOUTH. I guess I should have known that. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                  Yes, the 5210 is the solid state version of the 4210 from the 800 series. Marshall also had a 5150 combo that was the solid state (Mosfet design) version of the 3315. Yes, they had a 5150 way before Peavey!!
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    [ QUOTE ]
                    B-52 AT100 for sound and price it's hard to beat. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I'm going to sell mine. I bought it mostly out of curiosity, not because I needed an amp. I find that I don't even use it, because my Crate and Randall both sound better, much better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard one recently and was NOT impressed..the B-52 sounded bad...but it was being compared to a 5150, so I guess I should have cut it a bit of slack. But from what I've heard I'll never buy one.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      fender roc pro 1000! whoohoo!

[/ QUOTE ]
                      Definitely!! I had one of those and loved it. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Back to your topic... another underrated amp are the Carvin X series and Valvemasters. X60, XV112, XV112E, X100B, Valvemaster. These amps are very well made, sound great and are affordable. I have an X60, XV112E, X100B and a T100 and they are all excellent. The X60 is the best out of the bunch though. Its a tone monster.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad to see you approve of the X60 [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          [ QUOTE ]

Back to your topic... another underrated amp are the Carvin X series and Valvemasters. X60, XV112, XV112E, X100B, Valvemaster. These amps are very well made, sound great and are affordable. I have an X60, XV112E, X100B and a T100 and they are all excellent. The X60 is the best out of the bunch though. Its a tone monster.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad to see you approve of the X60 [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its outstanding. I put a Keeley modded OD-3 in front of it and the tone is too good to even convey in words.

Comment

How about SCRUMTRALESCENT? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Yea, we call it harsh or grainy in the states. The 5210 is giving you a diode clipping distortion similar to a stomp box. What you are looking for is a cascading preamp distortion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that why I've always used that amp with a preamp, e.g. the ADA MP-1

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                The only issue I have with that amp is the clean is like the ADA MP1, it has to be almost clipping to balance the gain channel in volume.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have that problem with my MP-1, it sucks [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X