Is there an amp for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there an amp for me?

Ok, I am a 99% basement player. I enjoy mucking around using my PodXT. On the off chance I ever decide to get together and play with someone, I want to have an amp that can fit the bill.

I want to play hard rock and metal, but I don't want an amp that needs to kill small animals with it's volume to sound good. I can always pick up a Blues JR or something like that for blues jams and waht not, but the rock metal thing is driving me nuts.

So, what amps can do that? I have tried running my XT through my 4x10 blues deville, but get less than stellar results. Same with a GT-6 I had. I can easily get good sounds at bedroom level, but the moderate loud levels always suck.

The distortion sounds on Queesnrych Evolution DVD sounds good to me. I'm not looking for Nu-metal or an overly processed 80's sound.

ideas?
    "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Re: Is there an amp for me?

Why not get a line 6 combo amp? If you like the tones from the POD, you should be able to get similar results from the combo.
    ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

Whats your budget? Would you prefer a combo or head/cab?

Comment

Budget? Maybe around 1K or so. Head/cab or combo is no preference. I used to own an AX2. They few times I took it over a friends to play, the distortion sounds just got lost.

I have been through the whole "tweak at gig volume" routine. I'm not opposed to a modeling amp, just skeptical as to how effective I can tweak one.

The nice thing about tube amps is they always sound better as you turn them up.
        "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

You have alot to choose from in that price range. How about a Mesa Boogie Mark III or Mark IV or a Tremoverb.
          You also have the Carvin Legacy, MTS3212, 5150, Tech 21 Trademark 120, Mesa F-30, F-50, Mesa Nomad 45. I believe that Toejam is still selling his F-30. Great amp, great price. That will cover everything you are looking for.

Comment

Vox AD50VT. $350 new.

Comment

Do you already have a cabinet? If so, I'd recommend the THD Univalve. About 15 watts, class A, and it can take a really wide variety of tubes. It's really a fun amp for figuring out what different tubes sound like in the same circuit.

It's loud enough to play with a band, but a simple switch of tubes lets you run it flat-out without driving neighbors, family and household pets nuts.

You can find them new for about $650 if you're a good shopper.

Comment

I seem to remember someone here having a Voodo modded Fender champ. The mp3's sounded killer. Hmmm.... Anyone know who has that?

Comment

Working...
                X