EL34 equipped amp suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EL34 equipped amp suggestions?

If you are looking for a very affordable combo that gets a very good EVH type tone, try the Traynor YCV50 Blue.

I just got mine yesterday and the clips below are spot on (no pedals needed). It is a 2 channel EL-34 amp that has a gain boost in the 1st channel, effectively making it a 3 channel amp. I plan on using it at church with a Digitech Bad Monkey occasionally pushing the clean channel to give me 4 very nice tones.

The clips below are from the HCAF. There is one very long thread with these clips in it.
    Clip #1
    Clip #2

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      1978 I was 13 ..VH one was the beginning of the end for me..my life has never been the same since!!

and that's cool!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too... except I was 16. I learned Eruption the 1st week the album was released. I was a god for a while until everybody was tap tap tappin...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        If you are looking for a very affordable combo that gets a very good EVH type tone, try the Traynor YCV50 Blue.

I just got mine yesterday and the clips below are spot on (no pedals needed). It is a 2 channel EL-34 amp that has a gain boost in the 1st channel, effectively making it a 3 channel amp. I plan on using it at church with a Digitech Bad Monkey occasionally pushing the clean channel to give me 4 very nice tones.

The clips below are from the HCAF. There is one very long thread with these clips in it.
        Clip #1
        Clip #2

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice playing, the first one is really tasty and I love the Crying in the Rain rhythm clip. Close to the tone I am looking for.

But THIS is it to a T:

http://www.thdelectronics.com/soundc...ckeruption.mp3

http://www.thdelectronics.com/soundclips/nonfunk.mp3
        Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          [ QUOTE ]

Clip #1
          Clip #2

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice playing, the first one is really tasty and I love the Crying in the Rain rhythm clip. Close to the tone I am looking for.

But THIS is it to a T:

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on the above clip... how would you know what the amp sounds like? There is a ton of delay and reverb on that clip. Its almost hard to even hear the tone. If all you are looking for is that tone... get a POD or some other modeler.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            [ QUOTE ]
            [ QUOTE ]

Clip #1
            Clip #2

[/ QUOTE ]

But THIS is it to a T:

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on the above clip... how would you know what the amp sounds like? There is a ton of delay and reverb on that clip. Its almost hard to even hear the tone. If all you are looking for is that tone... get a POD or some other modeler.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can cut down the reverb by using your balance controls.

I have a V-Amp Pro and, like I said before, I can get close. I just want to get all the way.

This is also a very nice tone from the same amp. Not sure of the tube combo:

http://www.thdelectronics.com/soundclips/ifilm.mp3

Mike
            Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

That Nakid Uber Head was NOT tweaked to sound like Van Halen..no delay/phase/verbs/..nada!

The gain is ALL the way up...that's MY sound [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Believe me, it does Van Halen just fine!

Everything from AC/DC to Death metal...its NOT just a high gain amp! [img]/images/graemlins/nono.gif[/img]
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                That Nakid Uber Head was NOT tweaked to sound like Van Halen..no delay/phase/verbs/..nada!

The gain is ALL the way up...that's MY sound [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Believe me, it does Van Halen just fine!

Everything from AC/DC to Death metal...its NOT just a high gain amp! [img]/images/graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree... from the clip I heard.. CORRUPTION... Bills Uber certainly can do VH.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  [ QUOTE ]

LaneyAOR50

[/ QUOTE ]

HEY! I second that.

I have the 100w Laney AOR Pro Tube, and with a good set of 6CA7s (direct EL34 replacement, BIG secret to unlock the EVH tone)

I can get a VERY good EVH tone out of it, its got a great warm, organic sound to it, and its got alot of preamp gain in the AOR channel, so you can really burn it EVH style.

Best thing about it, is you can get them all day for $300.

[/ QUOTE ]

BINGO! We have winners!

I have a Laney AOR 50 Combo. Heavy as hell (EL34 50 watts), but with a 1 x 12 sealed cabinet, how else will you get the sound? Open back combo's are not going to cut it. Reverb to boot.

Comment

"I agree... from the clip I heard.. CORRUPTION... Bills Uber certainly can do VH.

And that is with the Uber's Gain and Bass knobs at full tilt and DRY..just the head on a Marshall cab!!!

So the Uber is not all about down tuned Korn on the Cob.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Mike get a JCM 800 2 x 12 combo a later one like the 2210s with fx loop..that'll get ya in Van Halen land

or a VHT CL 2 X 12 combo w/ or without eq..that is a Beautiful amp for Van Halen tone..I couldn't stop playing it ..it sounded that great!!!!

Or a JMP-1 preamp..that with my 9220 w 5881s /JFX-1 / is VH Big Time..That gives the best Van Halen tone I ever heard..

But my kids cheap Line 6 30 wt spyder with phasing and shit...nails eruption like you won't believe..I mean it is right there..200 bucks...I love playing it..it's a fun amp!!!

Comment

There is a factory preset on the Boss GT-6 that is 100% accurate for Eruption.

Comment

You rubbin' that in, John? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                          Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

"There is a factory preset on the Boss GT-6 that is 100% accurate for Eruption."

I heard that...that's true...my VH tribute guiatrist used that thing!!

he was always hitting the wrong patches live tho , then go into a tap dancin' panic attack ...which I always found hilarious.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Yea, its not a patch you would want to use live but for Eruption noodling at home it is SUPER DUPER close.
                              My 5150 with a Phase 90, RV-3 and a DD-6 in the loop is pretty darn close to nailing the VH1 tone. You gotta leave the BBE422 out though. EVH's tone is too wimpy for a 5150/422.

A Marshall 2210 would be a great choice.

Comment

"EVH's tone is too wimpy for a 5150/422."

This is true..

and yes a 2210 is AWESOME for VH tone..or even a latter day Criss Oliva Tone that's what he toured with on Edge of Thorns..that was my favorite tone..Caffery has that amp now. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X