X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EL34 equipped amp suggestions?

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I don't think any stock amp does a better brown sound than the 5150 with the proper settings. Modded amps are a different story.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really, because I have never played one..and always thought they were supposed to be too preamp gainy.

I don't have a clue though, so I am asking for an honest response.

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't let anybody kid you. Eddy played with a TON of gain both live and in the studio. His Marshalls were modded and variac'd to the gills. Probably the closest thing to his "clean" Marshall tone is a Soldano SLO!!
    There are many sites online that are devoted to getting EVH tone with a 5150. They even break it down by album or song. Just copy the settings. I saw them live when he was using 5150's and his tone was totally brown and totally EVH.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      [ QUOTE ]
      [ QUOTE ]
      I don't think any stock amp does a better brown sound than the 5150 with the proper settings. Modded amps are a different story.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really, because I have never played one..and always thought they were supposed to be too preamp gainy.

I don't have a clue though, so I am asking for an honest response.

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't let anybody kid you. Eddy played with a TON of gain both live and in the studio. His Marshalls were modded and variac'd to the gills. Probably the closest thing to his "clean" Marshall tone is a Soldano SLO!!
      There are many sites online that are devoted to getting EVH tone with a 5150. They even break it down by album or song. Just copy the settings. I saw them live when he was using 5150's and his tone was totally brown and totally EVH.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I am sure you can get it with the 5150..I believe you.

I always associate EVH with a poweramp distortion...that balls to the wall amp maxed out, Variac'd to hell with tubes glowing so hot they burned out every song. I mean, if you listed to VH-1, VH-II...anything before he went to 5150s..the tone is very open, you can hear the notes ring and there is alot of headroom. It is a VERY organic tone as opposed to that squishy tone he has with the 5150s.

Any recommended sites for getting the Brown Sound out of the 5150? The dude on JFrocks.com gets a near perfect EVH tone out of a $200 Crate SS combo...which floors me.

Mike
      Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Mike..I just PMed you.. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Uberschalls have EL34s .. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

BTW the gain was MAXED on that thing! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Bill
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

thats cause he's running those suckers wide open. Really, that is about the only way an old Marshall's sound can start coming alive is when you start opening it up and you're saturating the output section.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            thats cause he's running those suckers wide open. Really, that is about the only way an old Marshall's sound can start coming alive is when you start opening it up and you're saturating the output section.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. I know. Doesn't work well in the bedroom though...unless you attenuate it. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I still think that early VH, especially VHII and WCF, are the benchmark for a distorted tone. From the first time I heard VH-1, when it arrived on the scene, that sound has moved me internally like no other.

All hail the man, the legend, the GOD that is EVH.

Mike
            Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

1978 I was 13 ..VH one was the beginning of the end for me..my life has never been the same since!!

and that's cool!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I have two Univalves, one of which is running an EL34, while the other runs a 6L6. The EL34 version gets closest to the Eddie tone and it has a built in Hot Plate, which is great for the type of playing you want to do. I paid $500 each for mine and absolutely love them both. Very cool little amps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, yes, yes. This is a great little amp. You should hear it with a Tung Sol reissue 6550! For quiter volumes, stick a 6K6 in there.

Comment

LaneyAOR50
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Uber..DAMMIT! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

TSL100 DAMMIT!!!!!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
                      Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Jimmy Brosesph..Stoppit!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

My Uber poops TSLs.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I have PROOF! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

ha ha [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I'll tell you this...my Cornford poops TSL's too. I still say Mike should check out a THD(he's hounding the piss outta me for one of mine - lol)as it is a killer bang for the buck. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                          Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

LaneyAOR50

[/ QUOTE ]

HEY! I second that.

I have the 100w Laney AOR Pro Tube, and with a good set of 6CA7s (direct EL34 replacement, BIG secret to unlock the EVH tone)

I can get a VERY good EVH tone out of it, its got a great warm, organic sound to it, and its got alot of preamp gain in the AOR channel, so you can really burn it EVH style.

Best thing about it, is you can get them all day for $300.

Comment

The uber wont give you the eddie sound and is pretty much a high gain amp and that is about it. I would go with an older marshall like the JCM800 series, you can usually get the combo's cheaper then the heads and they sound good. Other good choices are the peavey classics, the crate BV.

Comment

I can nail a JMP / JCM800 with NO problem whatsoever...just back off the gain alot and its right there..from ac/dc to VH and way beyond..The gain is MAXED here!

I did NOT know tape was rolling. This is My Koa San Dimas straight into a BONE dry Uberschall Head with NO effects. I'm just "jacking off" here to get a decent recording level with a cheap vocal mike...this is total slop , off the cuff , and embarassing playing. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

He busted my balls and added it to the demo w / ducking echo later..I'm NOT playing for keeps here , BUT it does capture the essence of the uberschall..BONE DRY!

The gain is MAXED / bass is maxed / treble is maxed / only the mid and presence is scooped..and it was recorded very LOUD!

"Corruption" .. jack off level check..Bone Dry Uberschall
                                http://clevelandmetalzone.com/evilut...corruption.mp3

If I cut the gain back 50% , added delay , phase and verb..pulled back the bass and turned up the mids and played like I really meant it..Van Halen. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X