• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Fireball has a new friend...

Great,thanks John G

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Going up in impedance does nothing but affect your output. It doesn't do squat to the amp. Actually, it will allow you to push the amp a little harder which is always a good thing for a tube amp. Unless you gig everynight and play everyday, all day long.. don't worry about wearing out your tubes. The difference is nominal.

[/ QUOTE ]
      This is correct. As long as the load (cabinet, Lower number) is not greater than the amp setting.

Comment

Wow! I was even confused by my rambling above [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] The smaller the number, the greater the load...I am going back to bed now [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

So dude, keep us updated! How's the recto in comparison to the fireball? Post a review, man!

Comment

Sure!I received it on tuesday.I played it just for a couple of hours cos I left it at my rehersal place.So far I noticed that the single recto has a fuller bass-mid-range sound (of course) a bit looser but also a powerful eq section,it's the first tube head I play where the equalization can have heavy changes on the tone.Much more versatile than my fireball.The FB has a crunchy powerfull sound and it's much more tight than the SR,I belive the FB fits myself better than the SR but my band mates said the SR fits the mix better.The SR is very picky,you have to dial it properly and once you got it it sounds really good with its typical mesa tone,much more usable gain here too.Two different kind of high gain monsters,I think I'll have lots of fun during my next recording session.Tomorrow I'll keep testing it with my band.I hope to take some pics of my rig in a couple of days!

Comment

mh, sounds interesting. iirc the fireball is quite a bottom end monster, i didn't think of the SR as an amp that has even more bass. also i really didn't think of the SR as the amp with more usable gain, really. the powerball i once played was VERY gainy even with low gain settings, whereas the dual recto (3ch) i tried seemed to have a lot less gain.
              so, what do you think, which amp suits which style of metal best? im sure the SR covers a lot of ground, but where does it really shine, and what's the stuff the FB does best? i haven't played any of those amps, but i'm picturing the FB to me more of a thrash metal amp because of the tightness you're mentioning, whereas the SR in my mind is more of an obituary type of amp...slow, lots of chords rather than single note lines, and in general more a "wall of sound". is this true or am i just talking BS here? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              one more question: how do they compare in terms of clarity, especially when playing complex chords at high gain settings (for example sus2 chords, minor/major triads, tritones etc)

and btw, how much did you pay?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                mh, sounds interesting. iirc the fireball is quite a bottom end monster, i didn't think of the SR as an amp that has even more bass. also i really didn't think of the SR as the amp with more usable gain, really. the powerball i once played was VERY gainy even with low gain settings, whereas the dual recto (3ch) i tried seemed to have a lot less gain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fireball has a thighter and powerfull bottom end and it's more articulated,but the recto has a bassier overall sound,more bass/mid presence if you know what I mean.When I said that the recto has much more usable gain I did not mean that the recto has more gain,but that I can actually turn the gain pot all the way up! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] With my FB I never turned the gain pot after 12:00!Usually I have it on 9.30 or 10.30!It's way too much powerfull! [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
                so, what do you think, which amp suits which style of metal best? im sure the SR covers a lot of ground, but where does it really shine, and what's the stuff the FB does best? i haven't played any of those amps, but i'm picturing the FB to me more of a thrash metal amp because of the tightness you're mentioning, whereas the SR in my mind is more of an obituary type of amp...slow, lots of chords rather than single note lines, and in general more a "wall of sound". is this true or am i just talking BS here? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right more or less,but the recto is not only an open cord kind of amp.You can play from hard rock to modern metal with it.Fireball best fits thrash metal/tech metal (that's what I play somehow) but it's one tricky pony,you got just that kind of sound.Single notes lines can be perhaps better with the SR for his liquid lead sound,FB is more "spiked"..

[ QUOTE ]
                one more question: how do they compare in terms of clarity, especially when playing complex chords at high gain settings (for example sus2 chords, minor/major triads, tritones etc)

and btw, how much did you pay?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fireball can be clearer when playin complex stuff and it can show mistakes very easily! The recto is smoother but you have set it right cos it can sounds muddy sometimes.
                I payed it 1050€,very mint condition.

Comment

thanks a lot!
                  so the recto is smoother sounding than the FB...mh. btw, when i said single note lines i was talking about rhythm guitar, basically alternating between single notes and the open strings. i didn't mean lead sounds [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                  well, the reason i'm asking is that last week i sold my blackmore (btw, i love ebay [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] sold it for 100 euro more than i paid [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] ). i still have my marshall, and i love it to death, but i'm an amp whore, i fear i'll never be able to settle for one amp. i was looking at a dual recto, but then somebody offered me a FB for 750 euro, used but in great shape. thats quite a deal, as even on evilbay they tend to go for around 850 euro - only 100 euro less than new.
                  btw, 1050 for a mint recto is an awesome deal here in europe. congrats!

Comment

Thanks!And I bought my FB for less than 700€ [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
                    FB is a kick ass amp for metal,it does just one thing,but it does a great job!For that price I would take it,I think that it will be my main amp until I will not be able to buy an SLO,and this means for very long time! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    The recto can be smoother but just a bit.

Comment

well, actually i'm leaning more towards the recto. i'm strictly looking for a 2ch only, as i think the 3ch version just doesn't come close. they tend to go for around 1250 euro, and i'm fine with that. this way i could have two of the most recorded amps in metal history - marshall jcm800 and mesa dual rectifier. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                      the fireball on the other hand is tempting, as it's cheaper (i'm gas-ing for another guitar, too, so the 500 euro saved would come in handy) and i'm still loving the articulation ENGLs have. on the other hand, if it's as bright or just slightly less bright (maybe raw is the better term) as the blackmore i don't think i'd keep it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                      and WTF did you get a FB for less than 700 euro?

Comment

Yeah,and it was almost as new [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Wow, what a deal!
                          I got mine new for 1000 Euro... but it is worth it for me.
                          Right now I think I'll never need another amp, at least not for the style I'm playing now. It's brutal, tight and clear... if I make a mistake, I hear it. Happens way to often, too. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

BTW, the most orgasmic guitar sound I ever got so far was Friday last week when I moved my buddies ENGL standard box over to mine and played the FB as a full stack. Thats a sound that shakes your nuts! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

I also agree that the FB is kind of a one trick pony. And it does it very well.
                          http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

You talk about muddiness and lack of clarity with the single rec? Try this... Max the bass and mid knobs. Turn the treble and presence completely off. Use the red channel on the modern voicing, and turn it up to at least 4 - 5 on the master. Set gain to taste. Those settings sound completely ridiculous, but trust me. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Cabinet may play into this too. I use this setting sometimes, through a recto cab (2 and 4x12).

Don't be afraid of the mid knob. It will tighten the amp considerably when you turn it up and it will still retain that "recto" tone.

Comment

I use bass at 12:00,mid at 15:00 and treble at 10:30,gain at 13:00,I like very much the tone that I get with this settings.It's not muddy,but I said that SR can be muddy if not dialed properly.The Fireball is clearer for sure than the SR,but this does not mean that the SR is not clear at all!Btw,thanks for the suggestion!I'll try this settings tomorrow and see how it will sound!

Comment

You'll also notice that with the treble and presence off, the amp is actually louder. Go figure... [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X