Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A little more thought on that Van Halen tone....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little more thought on that Van Halen tone....

It is interesting. We have all heard the unchained riff from the Mojave Peacemaker...an over $3000 boutique amp head. I think it is spot on for the record, almost eerie how good it is.

However, here is Jeff from JFrocks.com getting it about 99% dead on with a $200 Crate 2x12 combo.

http://www.jfrocks3.com/unchainedmainriff.wma

Keep in mind that this was done a little slowly because it is an audio lesson from his site, and it is recorded with a video camera, not a fancy studio setup.

Just throwing this out....

Mike
    Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Re: A little more thought on that Van Halen tone....

Check out a cameron mod. He does the Jose mod which is what eddie was using. You can get the exact tone. It will cost you half of what a mojave goes for.

Comment

Unchained Clip [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
      Jerry
      FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

Jerry's clip is away closer to VH to my ears but the Crate was kinda cool too...

a bone stock VHT 50CL with EQ will get you there too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Whenever I play that amp with a guitar tuned to Eb, VH riffs are the first thing I play [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Re: A little more thought on that Van Halen tone..

Jose never modded Eddie's main Marshall. It is well known that Jose was Eddie's friend so Eddie claimed that his amp was modded to get business for Jose.
          There was an in depth article in one of the major guitar magazines in the mid 90's talking all about Eddie's Marshall and how it was dead stock. He had just had it overhauled as he said it no longer sounded like it used to. One of the secrets of his tone was the use of 6CA7 tubes in place of standard EL34's...they are a direct EL34 replacement but tonally are more like a 6L6.
          Most of the amps that I have heard come the closest to Eddie's old tone were not Marshalls and not EL34 amps. The discontinued Fender Tonemaster will get you most of the way there...the rest is in your guitar and hands.

Comment

Didn't Eddie also use a variac between head and cabinets aound this time too
            This will certainly change your sound

Comment

Has anyone ever used 6CA7 tubes? how do they sound?

Comment

Imo, Jerry's clip was far too crunchy for that VH sound. The old VH tone is very loose and growly, smooth but with bite.

The Crate clip was kinda close, but it lacked dynamics, like any SS amp. IMO, it sounded closer than Jerry's clip.

Both REALLY lacked the warmth of the VH halen tone.

My opinions.

Comment

I'll just say that the pursuit of EVH's tone and the almighty Unchained tone is kinda limited...Jerry P will throw out clips of his modded 5150's and claim that they do the Unchained thing better than a Mojave for thousands less...

Well, thats all fine and dandy, and if the VH thing was all the Mojave's did I would agree you have a point. The fact / truth is - there are few amps out there that get close to how good the Mojaves sound all the way around, and not just in a pigeon hole VH tone chase. There's a whole shitload of tones lurking in those boxes, and I'll be the first to say that the Peacemaker may be a bad example - even though it sounds like GOD - it's too freaking loud and not practical for most bedroom / home stages. Even George Lynch said, and I quote - "dude, it's just too freaking loud."

I suggest listening to these clips...a couple of killer Peacemaker clips (especially "Aint No Sunshine...") - but pay attention to the Coyote clips...

Brudda Pat's Mojave clips

The Coyote without a doubt is the next amp I'll purchase.

Steve E

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A variac was used I believe at some point by him. But, they don't go between your head and cabinet. A variac, is used to vary wall current/voltage going to the amp. He backed it down to some 80 or so volts I seem to have heard...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A variac was used I believe at some point by him. But, they don't go between your head and cabinet. A variac, is used to vary wall current/voltage going to the amp. He backed it down to some 80 or so volts I seem to have heard...

[/ QUOTE ]

I never knew of the how to, just that he reportedly used one

From what I've heard Marshalls Power Brake does the same thing? so the amp can saturate the tubes and give that Marshall Tone [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

No, two totally different types of devices.

The power brake actually DOES go between the amp and the cabs... It attenuates the signal to a listenable volume level while allowing the amp to saturate more.

Not a bit fan of that unit myself. Palmer Box or Hot Plates seem to be the safer ticket.

Comment

Required reading for everybody:

http://www.amptone.com/

There'll be a test on Wednesday.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Required reading for everybody:

http://www.amptone.com/

There'll be a test on Wednesday.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chuck:
                            I use that site all the time, great place

Comment

John , I don't know if you remeber this . Tony my VH tribute dude.. Used a new 100wt JMP and a four 12 Fender bottom. He ran an Echoplex / Phase 90/ MXR flanger / with it and always came "close" to Ed's VH ONE sound...This was his QUEST since 78/79/80 and beyond...it wasn't until he bought the Variac from a place called Winter Radio on west 25th street. It was a HUGE big black , heavy voltage Regulator unit w/ a big round dial on the top...he pluged the Marshall into that and turned the Voltage down to 90 volts ..maybe less..where the tubes barely Glow..like a "brown out"..hence the penned named "Brown Sound"..by Alex Van Halen..I assume..well this makes sense.

He turned his Marshall all the way all the way up , and turn the Variac down until it was at a decent level..They say that is NOT healthy for the amp...but he played for years like that problem free..I don't think he ever changed the tubes that I was aware of ..He evetually traded it for a new white 82 Marshall annivesary 2 x 12 combo....it sure was noisey though and he always picked up radio stations and CB radio shit nearby..but it did Van Halen big time..but so did his hands.

But It wasn't until then Tony NAILED the tone..it was uncanny how close he came to that tone..it was definitely the Variac that made a big difference with those old Marshalls...to get that "authentic" VH tone...at that time.

I remember first meeting John when my bud had that set up..Tony taped "Eruption" off the radio with a hand held tape recorder and learned that solo note for note the week before the album was released....he didn't leave his room ever...even cut school to play his guitar.

He also did the same thing with the solo to Over the Mountain before the abulm was released..that was the Hit on the radio..before that album came out..and he already had the solo nailed.

That is when I said FUGGIT...I'll play bass.

He was truly a natural and had a great ear for pitch..the BEST local player around at the time at the age of 16 . But he leveled off and never really got better since ..as a matter of fact I thought he actually got worse and sloppy as time went on..it was like he didn't care or lost that hunger.

Back when John and I were 16 I cleary remembered John freaking out when he heard Tony for the first time...I'll never forget that.

Now we kick his ass..IMO.
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                              X