Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A little more thought on that Van Halen tone....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A little more thought on that Van Halen tone..

intersting story there.I can remember in my youth hearing a local musician(Andy B of tokio blade)when he was the guitarist with one of my old bands that i had left.Man this guy sounded Fucking great!had killer guitars and 80's amp setup(ada/quadraverb/ada poweramp and speakers)and he used to nail every fucking solo the band played(get the funk out-white lion tunes-purple haze(winger version)I coule just about play a couple of scales and mover power chords around the neck..lol..so he was a fucking god to me!
    Anyway i stumbled on his website a year or so ago and he hasnt got any better!In fact i think he sounds worse..lol.perhaps he sounded so good to me years ago was the fact that i could hardly play and it was impressive-now i am an old fart who is less impressed.
    Great info on the (Brown sound)the tube brown out sounds perfect

Comment

Re: 6CA7 Tubes

Yes, I have played 6CA7 tubes before, and they are my favorite EL34 tube. I used them in my now gone VHT Pittbull CLX 100. The regular EL34 tubes are too mid heavy for me, but I threw in a new set of EH 6CA7`s and boom, more low mids and bottom. I would say you give up a little of the highs, but not alot. The 6CA7 tubes, at least the ones form EH are super tough and will last a really long time also. I recommend them to anyone looking to tame the mids of their EL34 tubes and get a fuller sound. Jack.

Comment

I used 6CA7's in the 80's in my main amp at the time, a Musicman. They will yield you more chunk.

Comment

are they direct replacements for el34's? in other words, could i just go ahead, get some 6ca7's and plug them into my jcm 800 2210 (proper biasing of course) without any mods etc?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            That is when I said FUGGIT...I'll play bass.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll bet this is what about 95% of the world's bass players said as well. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Mike
            Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

"I'll bet this is what about 95% of the world's bass players said as well. "

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

btw, awesome avatar mike

Comment

yes, they are direct replacements to El34's. Voltage wise I think they run they same plate voltage. Structurally they're a little bigger bottle..if you can run 6550's or a 6L6 they'll fit fine.

Comment

"I'll bet this is what about 95% of the world's bass players said as well. "

I bet yer right.. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                  X