Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mark III, 5150, Legacy, X100B, JCM800, Recto etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mark III, 5150, Legacy, X100B, JCM800, Recto

has anyone played with VH4 and Herbert both, I would like to hear what are the differences, VH4 kicks mucho ass IMO how's the Herbert?
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

No Cleveland never played a Herbert..he just shoots the Sherbert. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

What turned me onto the Uberschall..Two things..first Cleveland John brought me to the forum a few years back..He has told me many a tale of the mighty Uberschall.."Uberwhaaaaa...WTF is that I said"..he replied "It's a Bogner high gain amp".."Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" I said.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

THINGMAN who was a great guitar player and tone guru in my book..immediately turned me onto the mighty Uberschall..

It was his clips that he posted..I fell in love with the tone on his clips. So if it wern't for John and THINGMAN's clips ..I probably would have a 5150 for a grab and go head..or just use my Marshal Rack.

This is truth..

The truth is that I dime the gain on my Uberschall anything short of being dimed ..I can't get MY tone out of it at all.

One HUGE misconception is that the Uber can NOT be tamed into classic rock or metal territory..cutting the gain to 50% will give you the best organic , and "girthy" tone of a 70's Marshall JMP...it has that kind of clarity and definition but a tad darker sounding..which also can be adjusted with cutting the lows..

The Uber can easily give you classic AC/DC , Van Halen tone to the heaviest Death metal tones possibly immaginable..like a 5150 on steroids...but much more "cleaner" and less muddled and flubby..I know this..I owned FIVE 5150 heads..

The Uberschall is MASSIVE in tone..My Uber half stack sounds like a bass amp when compared to my Marshall 9200 w 5881s / JMP-1 / BBE 422 with four 1960b Cabs. They're right next to each other. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

You heard my DIMED gain nakid Uberschall clips recorded with a cheap vocal mike with no effects..ZERO flubation going on there...there ya go...

Dimed Gain Uber + BILL Z BUB = flub free , great metal tone!!! [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I'd like to plat a Diezel too. I like what I hear from clips but I dunno if I'd spend that kind of money for amp head [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I said the same thing about a 101B but I ended up scoring one on eBay [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'd like to hear the Mark III in a volume test with a 2203 with 6550's in it. The one I have is loud like not no other!

I used to like the Uber too untill I found what Uberschall means, " german homo anal sex" and thats totally not me [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

"I'd like to hear the Mark III in a volume test with a 2203 with 6550's in it. The one I have is loud like not no other!"

Wow , yeah Shawn, I had a red one ..it was ridiculously loud the loudest amp I ever owned..made your teeth hurt!! [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

"I used to like the Uber too untill I found what Uberschall means, " german homo anal sex" and thats totally not me"

whaaa.. [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Überschall means supersonic. I'm no expert on homo anal sex, though, so there might be a connotation I don't know of... and probably isn't commonly used. Correct me if you know better. From experience or whatever? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

lol Braum83, no experience here in that regard. I'm just attempting to change the direction this thread was goin with a little humor [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Yes Shawn's good like that.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But I think I finaly put the "KABOSH" on that ongoing , petty BS once and for all , its long overdue..well I hope I did. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

now lets get back to the matter at hand ..AMPS! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  lol Braum83, no experience here in that regard. I'm just attempting to change the direction this thread was goin with a little humor [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good idea, but damn that was nasty [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I always thought that the MKIII was loose as hell compared to the Recto's. 5150's are even looser, falling into a catagory more of a Marshall. The Marks are very raw and loose, but they are more focused then a 5150. Both are awesome amps. The JSX is an awesome amp too. A real good buddy of mine traded his Dual Recto for the JSX and couldn't be happier. I think they sound really good, but the Mark series is my kinda amp.

Comment

Marshalls are NOT loose at all..the DSL/TSL are or definitely can be...thats why I don't like them...besides being cheaply made.

But there is nothing more focused and tighter than a great vintage Marshall tone..IMO! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

I know they lack that essential "chug" of high gain amps..but the leads tones are very lively and the chords very defined...they shimmer...my personal favorite lead tone is the Marshall 2210..my favorite rythm metal tone is the Uberschall..hands down..so far.

I heard GREAT things about the JSX from people here that are very credible to me..like Pete for example . [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Pete and Shawn are great players and are more "like minded" when it comes to good tone..as John and I.

If Shawn or Pete , or my bro John says an amp is awesome or sucks..I can pretty much take their word for it. I think they have a "clear" idea of what I like ..and I have a pretty good idea what they're all about as well. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I know everyone has their opinions..but what is more important to me is established credilbility...that goes a long way with me.

it's a click thing..I think...and I'm an "elitist" when it comes to music and tone in general...I know what I like and will not budge. [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]

Bill

Comment

I guess you're right. I'm thinking about it now, and I think I'm looking for a different word then "loose" then. Maybe "Raw"? I don't know. There is just a big differece in a Marshall and Mesa. That much I do now! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I always thought that the MKIII was loose as hell compared to the Recto's. 5150's are even looser, falling into a catagory more of a Marshall. The Marks are very raw and loose, but they are more focused then a 5150. Both are awesome amps. The JSX is an awesome amp too. A real good buddy of mine traded his Dual Recto for the JSX and couldn't be happier. I think they sound really good, but the Mark series is my kinda amp.

[/ QUOTE ]

Loose is the wrong term. Midrange heavy is a better term.
                          The thing about my Mark III that stands out the most is the IN YOUR FACENESS of it. It is such a dominant tone. It also tightens up as you turn it up. The 5150 does the opposite. You can tell that the Dual Rectifier and the Mark III are both Boogies but they aren't that similar. If I were in a thrash, speed metal or nu-metal band I would choose the Rectifier. For anything else I would choose the Mark III. For a little of both choose the 5150.

Comment

I really appreciate this amp comparison. I would LOVE it if the Peavey JSX and Mesa Stiletto could be included in a comparison like this.

Comment

I trust Pete's assesment of the JSX. If its good enough for him to keep it has to be good. There are several amp guys around here that I trust 100%. He is one of them.

Comment

I really wanna do a big amp shoot out of my own. I have a bunch of good amps sitting around at my place to do an actual shootout but unfortunately, I live in an apartment and my other band broke up so I don't have a practice space to go with my gear and just jam at.

Comment

Working...
                                X