Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mark III, 5150, Legacy, X100B, JCM800, Recto etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mark III, 5150, Legacy, X100B, JCM800, Recto

Oh my bro John G..Please , don't take what I said about shawn and pete out of context..I meant NO disrespect to you my man or other amp freaks here. I just thought of that...NO ..NO..Just in case you might have thought that..what I really meant is that tho my style is a tad "heavier" than Shawn's and Pete's in style..they seem to be more on par of amps that are to my personal liking..and I like their tones as well.

John you rule Bro..your comparisons are helpful , informative and interesting..just to let ya know..keep doing what you do man.. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Bill
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

This is a great thread. Very informative guys. thanks. The arguing has made it entertaining as well. Bill. I like you dude. You don't take any shit. I respect that. i sense maybe you were prior military or maybe a police officer. You're cool dude. It great to see someone as passionate about their amps as you.

Comment

Cleveland Police officer 13 years Rick..fully retired after breaking my neck fighting with some big drunk violent dude on a plane..

so I get a full pension.. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I give shit to only who deserve it and take no shit from anyone..no matter who you are...I would dot The Prez's eye if he gave me shit in a heartbeat. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

A little bit of shop talk, a little bit of inadvertant comedy...this thread is awesome [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
          That surprises me on the Matchless... figured they were a lot cleaner than what you'd like.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I dime my Chieftain, its anything but clean. Definitely not your typical metal amp, but it does the cranked vintage Marshall thing better than a cranked vintage Marshall...and had one of the best clean tones I've ever heard to boot. Its insanely LOUD when you crank it though...not much of a "bedroom" amp. Its the perfect amp for someone who likes to go between rhythm and lead by using your guitars volume knob. I've even done metal gigs with it by slapping a pedal in front of it. One of the best amps ever made IMO.

Comment

recto all the way [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

My favorite guitarist in metal today plays a Recto...Jeff Loomis.

I bought a Recto in 91 when it first came out. Played that head along with 4 other heads at the time. I could play all four heads at the same time ..via a custom box I had built for me..They were a Dual Recto / 5150 / Marshall 2210 / Ampeg Lee Jacksom VL100 ...I could play them all at once or any combination.

I ws never content with the recto..we just didn't get along..

But if you can make it work for you..go for it..

Loomis makes his sounds just fine..but he sounds the same to me whatver set up he plays..his skill and hands must say alot in this matter..obviously.

I ended up trading the Recto for a Soldano HR 100..which I prefered at the time.

My Uberschall fits me perfectly , more than any other amp I ever had..lots of usable SMOOTH gain..and I use all of it. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

dude....last wednesday i saw nevermore live, and both jeff and steve played dual recto heads (jeff used 2 recto oversize cabs, steve had a marshall 1960 fullstack).
                to be honest, their sound (and especially jeff's) was kinda muddy. when they played e.g. my acid words, the verse riff (death and suffering all around me....etc) was quite a mess, whereas in the studio every single start/stop thing comes through clearly.
                i might add that imho steve had a better sound....dunno if it was because of the marshall cabs or due to steve's AGGRESSIVE picking style. he beats the crap out of the strings, really. jeff doesn't do that.

i thought that dew scented (peavey 5150 and engl powerball) sounded a lot tighter and clearer, but then again, they aren't tuned all the way down to Bb [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I've heard that Nevermore and many other bands who use 7 strings sound muddy all the time live.
                  Low B has a very low freq. and if you play fast riffs with it then it is all mud. Studio is another thing.
                  "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

i agree and disagree with that. playing a 7string doesn't automatically equal a muddy live sound. what a lot of people don't understand is that the low B has a lot of natural punch and bottom end, so you don't need to run the lows on your amp as high as you'd do with normal tuned guitars. for example, my 2210 is a little short on bottom end when i'm using my D tuned guitars. when using my 7string i have to back off the bass quite a bit or it's overpowering anything else.
                    but well....i can understand bill. mercenary (one of the opening bands) also used 7string guitars, through a triaxis/290 setup and an uber, and their sound was a lot clearer.
                    when i was on tour with illdisposed (again tuned to B) their tone wasn't muddy at all, too. even though they used line 6 flextone amps [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Wow really..

Nevermore is coming here in November with Opeth ...can't waite. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I never heard Jeff sound muddy live..I always that he had a heavy , bright and focused tone no matter what he used..and yes he has a very light and fluid touch..Steve is sounding pretty cool on the album ..even his solos are really good. Tim Calvert had a much closer feel to Loomis when he was with him and really gave him a run for his money..

I may be getting a 7 String soon..The Uber manual states that this amp LOVES 7 strings , we shall see..it has alot of clarity even though I do dime gain at all times and cleans up very nicely when rolling off back the guitar's volume knob. ..the Uber has a much more touch senstive amp that my Marshall Rack ..I have to play "cleaner" with my uber ..The Marshall sounds good even if I'm throwing slop at it..That is not the case with the Bogner..

With The Uber I find it essenstial to dime the gain to get into Nevermore territory ..anything short of that it much to tame for that sound.

Diming the gain on the Uber is very comparable to putting the gain on a 5150 at about 6.5 to almost 7..on 7 the 5150 starts to flub up pretty much..not with the bogner..it is virtualy flubless...for my touch and style.

BTW Fragle..Mercenary Rules..I would to see them live..I have all three of their discs!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

yeah, they were pretty good. i thought they had a lot of potential, but their songs are too long. imho they could easily step out of the underground, all they need is better songwriting. their lead guitar player was pretty awesome btw.

"The Marshall sounds good even if I'm throwing slop at it"
                        +1 the jmp1/100:100 setup i'm running at rehearsal is very forgiving. it's also very easy to do the zakk wylde type of squeals. it's almost effortless. i'd love to use it live, but it's heavy as hell.

and bill, i can assure you that steve ROCKS. it was great to watch him on stage, his presence is out of this world, and his playing ROCKS. and well, while there are some TC leads i like better than jeffs (particulary beyond within), i think steve is *almost* outshredding jeff in the psalm of lydia lead tradeoff.

"Diming the gain on the Uber is very comparable to putting the gain on a 5150 at about 6.5 to almost 7"
                        thats very interesting. i pictured the uber to have a lot more gain, more in engl fireball territory. when i had a 5150 here i think i set the gain around 5,5. after 6,5 it definitely muddies up, though.....i think now i can understand jgcable saying that the 5150+BBE is pretty much a mini-uber.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I've heard that Nevermore and many other bands who use 7 strings sound muddy all the time live.
                          Low B has a very low freq. and if you play fast riffs with it then it is all mud. Studio is another thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I played 7 strings for awhile and got tired of them after awhile. To me tuning that low is great if you are doing the wall of sound, but for articulation you really need to be tuned out of the bass territory. I now tune either standard or drop D at the most. to me i do not need to go any lower, you can sound just as heavy in that tuning.

Comment

PS. Vintage 30's are not the clearest speaker either, the 75's are alot clearer for note articulation, greenbacks are even better then that.

Comment

V30's are much better for a warmer sound and the 'wall of sound' thing, which is what I prefer.
                              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

All my guitars are in D ...Nevermore is in B. Very innovative stuff Jeff Loomis is doing with a 7 string these days. He's not slamming 2-3 chords progressions and jumping up and down like a chimp.

Steve Vai , Tony MacAlpine , Jeff Loomis are very good examples what you can do with a 7 string.

Comment

Working...
                                X