"Top Gun" tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Top Gun" tone?

OK, I was just laying in bed trying to play myself to sleep and I figured out the theme to Top Gun the movie(right after I figured out the theme from Peanuts). It was one of my favorite guitar licks when I was a kid, and I was wondering what gear you guys think I would need to nail that searing lead tone. I think that would be a hilarious way to start the set with some fog, then have the bass rumble that low part, then come soaring in on guitar like an F-14!! I don't own the movie or have the song here, so I can't listen to it right now, but I remember it sounding great. Anyone here have any ideas?

[img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Re: \"Top Gun\" tone?

Steve Stevens..
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I'd put some reverb and delay in your sound for starters. Then turn the mids right up as well as the treble and turn the bass down. Have enough gain to get some sustain. Then you're pretty close to the sound. I've tried it before, but with more posing in my bedroom [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      93 USA Soloist EDS
      USA HT6 Juggernaut
      Charvel DK24FR

Comment

wasn't that Satch who did it?
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

It was Steve Stevens.

Comment

yess yess, Satch did for another movie, sorry my mistake.
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Congrats, Ace about the 'Peanuts' theme. The Vince Guaralido trio created some of the best jazz that was effortless to listen to, yet was created in one of the most turbulent times in our recent history.

Comment

go to JFrocks.com. He has that song as a lesson, and I am sure he tells you how to get the tone as well.

And yes, it was Steve Stevens....even if I am Johnny come lately!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Mike
                Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

What song Ace, Danger Zone? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[edit] Now that I think about it , I think I know the song you mean.
                  Scott
                  Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Try an original Rockman.

Comment

Rockman = I was just gonna say that.
                      I had RM Soloist in college and used to play that Steve Steven's theme along with Atomic Playboys stuff. Man that was a few moons ago.

Comment

Did anyone mention that it was Steve Stevens? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Highway to the Danger Zone......Highway to the Dangers..... Doo Doo doodit da dooh dit. Sorry I was rambling. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Yea, "Danger Zone", Steve Stevens. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]
                          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I had no idea Steve Stevens did the Top Gun theme. I always thought that it was Satch.

Comment

"Danger Zone" was by Kenny Loggins. The main theme was named "Top Gun Anthem" is attributed to Harold Faltermeyer and Steve Stevens.

Comment

Working...
                              X