Metal distortion + pedal questions + amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal distortion + pedal questions + amp

Well I tried this thread on a bunch of forums but I just though about here: What better place for a bunch of metal heads to advise me [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    Here's the deal. Right now I play a POD 2.0 through a Laney AOR 30. I also have an SD1 that I use on the POD to brighten up some amp models and to get that classic Texas Blues tone (slightly overdriven Bassman model, further driven by the SD 1 with a bit of drive = godly). The problem though is that I barely use the amp by itself, it's big (in size and sound). I'll hopefully soon buy a much smaller amp. All that matters on it are nice cleans (with lots of mids: I like my cleans warm, and if you can advise me on the amp too it'd be nice), and I'd use a distortion stompbox.
    Basically for the amp I am thinking of:
    Vox VR15
    Laney LC15
    Epiphone Valve junior (that little 5W all tube amp with just tone and volume control, which makes me be worried about the EQing)
    Loudness is not an issue since I'd be playing it clean mostly.
    For the pedal:
    Vox Cooltron Bulldog
    Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde
    Electro Harmonix English Muff N
    And any others you may suggest. I'm looking for a NON SCOOPED sound with a fair amount of mids, British in essence, mostly for rythm.
    Price is not much of an issue, but under 200 pounds or 250 euros is better.
    Or I could just get a floorboard for the POD but I prefer analogue pedals (and I'm GASing for something under my feet, that's what I get by being a drummer too [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])

Any help is welcome fellow metalheads! Suggest anything even if it's not in my price range, I'll try and check it out!

PS: No MT2 [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Re: Metal distortion + pedal questions + amp

of all the pedals I ever tried I think The discontined Korg Hyper distortion is the warmest metal pedal with lots of crunch "cut"..very Glen Grover-ish..harmonics galore and not harsh like a metal zone..

That into a fairly clean channel sounds pretty damn good .... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

other ones I have liked are the TS9/OD-1/DS-1/..they seem to be all in the ballpark..I was found Boss OD-1(2) the Turbo..it was warm and smooth..I like that..

Not fuzzy...I hate fuzzy shit..except for certain fuzzy things.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I believe Tech 21 have started making their XXL pedal again. It's very warm sounding, and is probably the most tubey sounding solid state pedal I've ever tried.
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I heard good things about that pedal never tried one tho..

you said "tubey".. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I get exactly what you are looking for with a Carvin X60 and a Boss OD-3 in front of it. . Exactly.

Comment

For a pedal with mids... the discontinued DOD Juicebox pedal will do great (their version of the Ibanez Tubescreamer, has bass and treble controls, extra mids built in). I've got two of them, they're great!! Or the new Digitech Bad Monkey is supposed to be the same thing as the Juicebox. Or you could just get a Tubescreamer.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I agree with Bill too. The Korg Hyper Distortion is great. So is the Korg 411FX which is basically a Hyper Distortion with an effects processor built in.

Comment

I was more of an OD-1 guy too
                also the OD-2 I still have it too!!!!
                This thing is so cool [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I was more of an OD-1 guy too
                  also the OD-2 I still have it too!!!!
                  This thing is so cool [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                  I have OD-1's, 2's and 3's. I agree. The OD-1 is the best one. I do have a Keeley (or Analogman) modded OD-3 that rips big though. Its my new favorite overdrive pedal.

Comment

Try this: www.miaudio.com

Order the Blues Pro at only $89.99 USD shipped. GREAT boutique pedal at a mass produced price. They are built to order and arrive within 2 weeks.

I haven't heard good things about that Epiphone amp. I tried out a Laney VC30 that sounded great the other day. I like my Vox Valvetronix AD50VT amp (as well as the AD30 & AD15).
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Soldano Supercharger baby!
                      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

That AOR 30 is a great amp. It might weigh a lot but it'll make a man out of you LOL! I wish my AOR 50 combo was the 30, it would weight less (tranny weight).

Comment

Well most of you guys advised OD [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I'm happy with my SD1 for now though if I ever needed a clean boost I'd go another way. I really am now looking for a heavy distortion pedal on its own [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

Comment

I use a custom Fulltone 2 (red) and for more variety I use a Sparkle Drive which allows me to blend my clean sound with my distortion.
                            Screamin'

Comment

i use a sansamp classic in front of clean fender amps. very nice sound, with a wide range of tones available.
                              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X