I just bought a Triamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just bought a Triamp

I just got my new Hughes and kettner Triamp MK II and I just love it. It is the quietest tube amp i have ever heard. Even on the highest gain setting I hardly even need my supressor pedal. Suprisingly I like it quite a bit more than my old Bogner Uber. I've owned a triple recto, triaxis w/2:90, bogner uber a couple marshalls and a line 6 vetta II and this baby passes them all. Granted i did love my uber. What a great amp. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Re: I just bought a Triamp

Can you give a little bit more indepth review of the amp itself? How each of the channels sound, etc etc?

Comment

I want to know too. I have heard great things about that amp!!!

Comment

Ok here we go. i've only had it a few days and am still messing around with it.
        Amp 1 very fenderish sounding. Channel one is super clean. almost acoustic sounding but very full sounding. channel 2 more of a bassman sound. the gain nob is real smooth. can be clean with a lot of low end to a fat baasman type sound with more gain than with a tube screamer.
        Amp 2: Marshall sounding. Channel one to me sounds a lot like a plexi to jcm 800. gain nob reacts very well. channel 2 is fuller sounding with more gain and low end. haven't messed much with the gain on it. I've left it all the way up for now.
        Amp 3: High gain. channel 1 is high gain but not a saturated and not as much defined low end. back off the gain a bit and the low end kicks in a bit more. very full sound. Channel 2. Super high gain. It chunks big time. very tight low end and focused. more low end and very tight. super smooth. Any metal head would love it. Not sure what type of amp it sounds like. not mesa sounding at all for sure. at high volume through my recto 4X12 cab it stayed focused and full. Just amazing sounding.
        this amp is super quite. even on the highest gain setting i get a very very small about of hiss with out a noise supressor. with the rocktron hush pedal there is not a peep.

Comment

also this amp is so easy to plug and go. not an amp you have to tweak to get a good sound out of the box.

Comment

I got a chance to play this amp the day before my friend shipped it out... very good sounding head... HIFI distortion! Did you buy it from a guy named Paige by any chance?
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

John and I played one at lenghth before I bought my Uber..

our local band friends had one..I could have bought it for $1100..it was a PRETTY amp..very cool looking and nicely made..but it didn't work for John and I..just wasn't the tone we were looking for..

But , they are nice amps..and if YOU like it that is all that matters!!!

I hate Rectos with a passion..but my favorite guitarist Jeff Loomis does just fine with them..that's all that matters!

Bill.. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I got a chance to play this amp the day before my friend shipped it out... very good sounding head... HIFI distortion! Did you buy it from a guy named Paige by any chance?

[/ QUOTE ] nope got it from guitar center

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  John and I played one at lenghth before I bought my Uber..

our local band friends had one..I could have bought it for $1100..it was a PRETTY amp..very cool looking and nicely made..but it didn't work for John and I..just wasn't the tone we were looking for..

But , they are nice amps..and if YOU like it that is all that matters!!!

I hate Rectos with a passion..but my favorite guitarist Jeff Loomis does just fine with them..that's all that matters!

Bill.. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ] yep. all that matters is what you like. I caught a ton shit for selling my uber, but it just didn't work for me for what I was wanting. I had a triple recto for awhile but got tired of it. The other guitar player in my band had a mesa as well and 2 mesas just don't sound that great together from my experience. Plus everyone was using rectos and I just wanted something I didn't see many other people using.

Comment

Well as long as it makes YOU play your best bro..that's the real deal..

Congrats.. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

I really wanted to like that amp..it looked nive see thru plexi glass ..glowing tubes..I thought it sounded good before I plugged into it..but it didn't do it for me..

My Uber does..

Hell I can plug into my kds line 6 Syder II and tear it up..it works for me.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

You can tell as soon as you plug into something and you just know whether it works for you or not..any amp at all.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

"You can tell as soon as you plug into something and you just know whether it works for you or not..any amp at all. "

nah, not true at all. when i first plugged into my blackmore i was in heaven. when i first had it live and loud in a gig situation it was more like hell [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I just ordered new tubes for it today. 2 sets of JJ tubes. I'm not sure how many hours are on the tubes so i figured it best to go ahead and put new ones in to be safe. It uses 9 12AX7's and 4 EL34's. That's a lot of tubes. 18 12AX7's and 8 E34L's for $240 was pretty good.

I agree with Fragle on plugging in. I had my vetta II head for a week before I started to finally get good tones and was comfotable with it.
                        I hated my uber when I first got it. After 3 or 4 days then I fell in love with it. I've learned for me that I need to fiddle with something for a good week before i can really decide if it is what i really want. I took me 3 days on the TRIAMP. I fiddles with it for an hour today and just fell deeper in love with the thing. wow. that sounded a little gay.

Comment

Yeah yer right , when I first got my Uber I hated it too..The eq layout looks so simple. But they are so interactive with each other and pretty severe..it took me a while to dial it in..

I knew I like the the smooth gain and sheer girth..but I had to play with it for a bit to get it sounding right.

and especially with EL34s whatever you dial in at a moderate level all changes at a much higher volume..

Comment

yeah my triamp is the same way. The first amp I've onwed that really and truly sounds better and better the more you tunr it up.

Comment

Just retubed it today with new JJ's. sounds so much better. i had a feeling the tubes were a little old. i am loving this baby more and more. damn it's cool.

Comment

Working...
                              X