Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 5150 Poll... Do you own one??

"Horns - What's the deal with the clean channel on the Uber?"

I don't play clean therefore never had a use for a 5150 II. Those who have played my Uber say my clean tones is pretty nice..very warm and organic. But the closest thing to "clean" for me is rolling back my guitar volume knob on the dirty channel..it cleans up just enough for me to be dynamic.

Pushing the gain past 7 on a 5150 really starts to mush up IMO..and is not very touch sensitive..there is a "g spot" I found between 6.5 and almost 7 on a 5150..and that was pushing the threshold to maintaining "tightness" for me..

A Uber Dimed is comparible to the gain of a 5150 at 7 but much more organic , cleaner and VERY usable..without any flub at all..you can'r Dime a 5150 , it'll sound horrid!!!

all those recordings I posted in the MP3 section.. the gain is totaly dimed on the Uber and it is tight and focused..and that was recorded over a weekend on a borrowed old tascam 4trk pota studio with a cheap vocal mic. [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Owned and used two together sorta stereo-ish for years... Got stupid and traded them for a marshal JMP-1 and an EL34 100/100... Dumbass move... Always have regretted doing so.

At least till I settled on the CAe3+se and VHT2150 setup. Still wish I could get a 5150 (or Uber) preamp, hehe...

Comment

Yes John didn't fair well with his Marshall Rack from day one..especially with those EL34s..I had another friend ..had that same prob with his El34 9200..same sound..all high mids and thin.

John's CAE+se is AMAZING for clean tones and his high gain leads tones "sing" like the sweetest Marshall , but a tad darker..which is cool by me.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

His CAE sings for leads tones better than my uber does..it's very nice.. I do like the lead tones of my Jmp-1..but they are apples to oranges really..his is much more organic and full..My JMP-1 actually sounds like an 80's Marshall a 2210 especially..which is a bit thin and edgy..but nails those tones pretty damn good. His is just a better version of that tone....more full bodied. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But my Uber is just so fuggin' Brutal and tight..it's Brutality in a box. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

One thing about the 5150 that John and I were both discontent with..I had five in all thru the years...John ran Two in stereo..great Rythm tone..but they seemed a bit dead in their lead tone..they just didn't "sing"..actually pretty dull to be honest to our ears..it was a compromise either you wanted a killer chunky rythm sound or a usable but somewhat dead lead tone..that's why we got rid of them.

The Amotts has the best 5150 lead tones I've ever heard..they make em work..so it can be done.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Yeah, when I saw them they used an old ugly assed (think tire chock looking with the weird wheels on the side) Maestro Parametric pedal he was switching on and off for solos...

Must have been the trick... Sounded pretty decent. Helps that theyre pretty good players as well.

Comment

I paid $725 for my full stack. ($350-Head, $150-Top Cab, $225-Bottom Cab.)

Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              As of yesterday... I am now a 5150 owner [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Self biasing amp right or [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not self biasing. They are biased cold from the factory which usually allows you to put tubes in without fear of being biased too hot. As long as no one has touched the bias circuit you can just throw tubes in it. If you want the best tone and the most out of your tubes have the bias modded.
              Jerry
              FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

Really John..I didn't know that about the Amotts ..as many times as I seen them..Never up that close I guess..I always wanted to know how they got the really chunky chug and then the singing leads..that jumped out..they sure made them work..

I still say 5150..best bang for the buck.. for a grab and go ..plug N play metal amp.

Hell If my cuz ever takes one in at his shop..I may have to get it just for me or John to have around. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

BTW Keith, that's a killer price on that full stack..that's what I'm saying...you gotta BBE 422 in the loop right.. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously The 5150 heads love 'em. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

OH another thing man..don't know if it was just my imagination..but those heads sounded better set to 4 ohms to me..try that eventually..using two cabs ..each cab would have to be set to 8 ohms of course...together that'll give you a 4ohm load.

Good Luck ..have fun..great price!! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I have had 2 5150s since 1993, and I have just added a 6505 into the lineup. Great amps.

Comment

Got 2 questions that just popped in my mind.
                    1) I found a 5150 bias mod kit on ebay, can I have that thing put in my 5150 II?
                    2) Are the 6505 cabs the same in sound as the 5150 cabs? Seems that it's rather difficult to get a 5150 one around here. At the moment I'm using a Marshall with Vintage 30s and I really like the tone it produces, but with everyone saying the matching cab would be a night&day difference I want to at least try the damned thing.

Comment

Yes man , you need to ..you'll immediately hear the difference..tighter , less flubby..you can crank the gain and resonance higher..

Comment

i just got an fja modded snakeskin covered 5150 and it rules. im running it through 2 genz benz g-flex cabs and it sounds nasty as hell. a different beast from my splawn mod plexi. so so so much gain! i threw my old 70's mxr flanger in the loop and it was great.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I have had 2 5150s since 1993, and I have just added a 6505 into the lineup. Great amps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Find anything different about the 6505?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Find anything different about the 6505?

[/ QUOTE ]

They should be the same internally, at least thats what I've read in various different places.

I'm a 5150 owner now, and instead of skirting around the tone in my head, I think I finally have that said tone!!

Comment

the 6505 seems a bit crisper, not as squashy i guess, that could be the fresh tubes..it came with ruby tubes. but the difference is minimal...good workhorse amp, i use one sound basically , so these amps work a treat.

Comment

i have one, i put a mxr 6 band eq in the loop and that thing is freaking dominating now.
                                www.soundclick.com/patricklukens

www.myspace.com/patricklukens

Comment

Working...
                                X