Tech 21 TM-60 weekend impressions....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech 21 TM-60 weekend impressions....

So, I snagged a Tech-21 TM-60 this week. I needed a decent home amp, and I wanted something with lots of options. I was going to go for the Traynor Blue 50, but it did come across as a somewhat one trick EL34 pony.

For anyone not familiar with the TM-60, it is basically Tech 21's SansAmp technology packed into a 60 watt combo with a 12 inch speaker. It can produce tones from shimmering Fender to Marshall to buzzy and tight Mesa. It is a VERY adaptable amp...but it requires dedication and tweaking due to the active EQ controls. It is 2 channels and features a clean boost feature as well as an Accutronix 6 spring reverb. It also has a "weep" function that is supposed to mimic a class A amp...I call it the Eric Johnsonerizer as it creates that violin type effects.

OK, I am going to be 100% honest here. I initially was less than thrilled with this amp. It has a "transparent" speaker that is supposed to replicate everything from an 8 inch Champ to a 4x12 cab. I found that it did a very adequate job...but it was lacking that certain something-something, you know?? Very good...not knock you down fabulous. I preferred the headphone line out over the speaker. I was kinda bummin' and thinking of dumping it (typical of me!!)...until I tried a little experiment. I use my old Peavey 112 Studio Pro as my "engine" for my V-Amp Pro. I decided to stereo the TM-60 and ran the line out from the loop into the return of the Peavey.

WHAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy Crap did it wake this thing up. The two speakers have very different voices, but what a mix. It went from pretty good to "good god Magnum!!" Actual Brown Sound pouring out, Sykes-esque tone as well. It was really an eye opener.

Then, I went and grabbed a stereo digital delay (DigiTech) and fired it up in true stereo with some tape echo simulation mellowing out the bright tone of the Schaller in the Bengal.

Really sweet, I was very impressed.

I have only tapped the surface, but this combo is simply killer. I know it is not "standard" in that I am running the amp in stereo with another combo...but really, things are working nicely right now.

I will check back in down the road and see if she is still in the stable...but for now I am pretty happy about this amp. I generally don't flip amps like guitars...so I am going to dig in a see what this setup can generate for me.

YMMV.

Mike
    Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Re: Tech 21 TM-60 weekend impressions....

Mesa has been doing that for years with their satellite cabs. Its a great idea. Continue with the updates. The Tech 21 clips online are excellent.

Comment

Working...
    X