Mods for a Soldano Slo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mods for a Soldano Slo

The last couple of weeks I've been thinking of getting a slo-100,getting back to my roots. I've been playing the hard heavy stuff(uber, fireball) amps but I'm looking for that slo sound now. Question is about the depth mod.What will this do for me at low and hi volumes? Just muddy up the sound or is it a useful mod? Thanks any help is appreciated. On a side note I'll probably keep the fireball for a while to make sure its the right move. Thanks

Re: Mods for a Soldano Slo

IMO the depth mod is for bedroom use only.

Comment

Yep, it will give you a lot more bottom end at low volumes, but if you play at low volumes a lot, the SLO is not for you to begin with.

I personally think the best SLO's I've ever heard were stock ones. It seems to me the mods slowly move the SLO away from what it does best.

Comment

What about the Warren Haynes mod?
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yeah, that is a good addition. Just rolls off some treble at lower gain settings on the OD channel, and it's not an obtrusive mod.
          But, as far as depth mods, scoop mod, XL mod, etc...those just seem to head the SLO in a different direction, and it starts soundsing like anything else out there. Which is not why you'd buy an SLO in the first place.

Just my 2 pennies!

Comment

I agree. Warren doesn't like his preamp gain up that much, so that mod would work well. Probably the only mod I would do to an SLO regardless of how much gain I'd use anyway.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Warren Haynes also runs a 20 ft cable to his wah and back to help take away some of the treble too I have read. I have thought about making mine a single channel head and taking the effects loop out. According to Soldano this is the way he designed it and it sounds killer with no loop and as a single channel head. I dont use the loop or the clean channel at all so...

I am sure Chuckles will know what I am talking about. Chuckracer = SLO guru.

Comment

Not really a mod but...

The best tone I have gotten out of the SLO was when I got rid of the 5881 tubes and put in KT66's. It added much more bottom and definition to the tone.

I would start there.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Yep, it will give you a lot more bottom end at low volumes, but if you play at low volumes a lot, the SLO is not for you to begin with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. I've also heard of a master volume mod that Soldano can perform as well. Nonetheless, these are not "bedroom-friendly" amps.

Comment

The Soldano depth mod can be dialed out though at higher volumes... it's what I did to my HR50+.

Pete

Comment

I had the chance to A/B my stock SLO and one with the depth mod through my cabs in my practice pad.
                      My SLO had the same bass response as the depth mod at 4 on the dial. The depth modded amp had less bass than my head with the depth mod on zero.
                      My head was bone stock, and the depth modded amp factory done.
                      The difference? My amp had KT66's. The other head had the stock 5881's.

Interesting, huh?

Comment

Interesting, but probably not too suprising. The KT-66s are known for adding a fair amount of bass to the sound. I've never tried either the KT-66s or 5881s in my SLO. Mine came with the Sylvania 6L6GC's that the amps were originally designed around, and I have another set sitting around when those go. I like them and power tubes are pretty pricey just to try something different, so that's what I'll probably stick with.

Comment

The stock 5881s were probably those crap-ass Sovteks too... the 5881 tungsols that were in the single recto head I sold Chuckracer's singer would probably sound amazing in an SLO.

Pete

Comment

They sounded amazing in that single recto! Damn, that was a good sounding amp!
                            I once totally fooled Toddstaples with it...I had it and the SLO on a couple of cabs, trying different things. He came in, listened for a bit, then asked me to play the same parts through the same cabs, but using the Recto instead of the SLO.

It WAS the Recto!

Comment

Heheh! That amp sounded good with the stock mesa tubes, but the tungsols really beefed it up, that's for sure. If you get another SLO, you really should consider biting the bullet and buying a set of really good 6L6s for it - either some Tungsol 5881s or blackplate RCA 6L6s or Sylvania 6L6s. they make a huge difference, imho... and they should last a lot longer than newer chinese tubes.

I had a set of Sylvania 6L6s in my 5150 that came with it - sold the amp when it was around 7 years old and the tubes were as strong as new chinese 6L6s. That's the main difference between the 'block' EVH and the signature ones - the block models came with Sylvania 6L6s from the factory. It made a huge difference.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X