Clear All

Re: the most hotrodded \"marshall\"?

VHT CL would be more marshally wiuth it having EL34's
    I keep the bible in a pool of blood
    So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

+1 SLO.

Also how about Sovtek. Not the best build butThe MIG 100H was the hotrodded version and it had more gain than the 800's I have owned.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        [ QUOTE ]
        SLO!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not EL34-y enough. Great amps, just moving away from Marshall and into, well, awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't really seem fair since you can easily load the SLO with EL-34s if that's you criteria. Plenty of people do this.

Comment

CAE OD100 SH/SE:
          Best hotrodded Marshall cruch & Fender clean from one box.

As for the VHT UL & Bogner Über I've owned both and neither sounds like a "hotrodded Marshall" IMHO.

Comment

My Uber can sound like a darker 70's JMP..back off the gain like crazy and crank her up..the EL34s DEFINITELY pushes it in that sonic territory...It does "flick of the switch" AC/DC perfectly..not that I really want it to. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I played a VHT CL 2 12" combo wo / EQ and it nailed the old VH tone to me , but ballsier..I couldn't tear myself away from that amp!!

and a SLO always sounded like a killer version of a Marshall to me..

But nothing really sounds like a Marshall..but a Marshall.
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

mh...interesting.
              i'm asking because i love the marshall tone (especially the "growl"...hard to describe, but marshall users will understand [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] , but most stock marshalls just aren't brutal enough for my taste. i think the 5150 is close, but still, there's a certain difference in the way the amp responds to the pick attack...imho a marshall feels easy to play but sounds tight, whereas the 5150 also sounds tight but feels more stiff.
              i still have to experiment with EQs, overdrive boxes and whatever in a live&loud sítuation, though. i just wondered if there's an amp that nails both the feel and the growl of a marshall right out of the box, but is more brutal in terms of gain and low mid punch.

btw, how's the peavey JSX amber channel (2nd channel) for metal rhythm playing?

Comment

I think the 5150 and any marshall are apples and oranges..not even similiar in the slightest ..not to me. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

really, you think so? to me the 5150 sounded like a bastardized jcm800 with insane amounts of gain....thinking about it, the 6l6 power section might be the reason why i found the 5150 to be a little stiff. but the overall voicing is quite close imho...bright, lots of mids, cuts through like crazy.

Comment

Why not just get a nice Marshall and have it modded by Cameron, Splawn or VooDoo? Then you'd know its really a modded Marshall [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I do like what I hear from the Splawns and the Suhr/CAE OD's

I also love old Marshall tone, any modds that I'd would get would essensially be an SD-1 built in [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] so no need for me to mod a classic. If I want a totaly different tonal structure, I would just get a different amp altogether [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

thats what i was going to sugest that he try a sd1 in front of it to push it a little more. sounds like he likes the tone he has just wants a little more.

Comment

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly!

Comment

Duh... I meant (was thinking) the VHT "CL" when I wrote UL... yes, definitely a bit of a difference there. Umm, oops.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo! to me at least. If ya want a hot rodded Marshall, get one of the years you want to emulate and find a person whose mods you like and have it modded.

Outside of that.. I'll let you know when I get a Soldano hot mod how it responds in my Laney's and Marshalls.
                            To me that would be the best route on a stock amp.

IMO a Laney AOR is voiced differently than a Marshall, even a modded Marshall at that.

The JCM900 was built to be a rodded up version of the 800. I've heard various things good and bad...I think with that it comes down once again to the player and how they play and what they tweak out of the amp. I myself have not played a 900 or a 2000. I've heard good things about the 2000 series tho.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you speak of "Hot Rodded Marshall" that is a pretty subjective term to some peeps ears it could be stretched alot of different ways and they would all sound good.
                            Is a hot rodded mopar a fast Ford? kinda the same thing in analogy.

Comment

My vote would be a Splawn and I think the Soldano Decatone has more of a hot rodded Marshall sound than the SLO to my ears.

-Jason

Comment

I will of course throw my vote for Trace's stuff at Voodoo amps. Very tasty! I wouldn't trade mine for the world.

Comment

Working...
                                X