the most hotrodded "marshall"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: the most hotrodded \"marshall\"?

get a JCM800 2203, throw your favorite OD pedal in front and trust me you will be in heaven! I have owned splawn, i currently own the stiletto, but nothing beats my JCM800 2204 with my OD's in front.

Comment

my 2210 with a ts in front does [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
      i used to plug straight into the amp (using a tu2 in front, ok), but for the last show we played i threw my tubescreamer in front of it.
      one word: exodus
      4 more words: tempo of the damned
      another word: NAILED
      and finally two more: nuff said !

Comment

and by the way, once more:

[ QUOTE ]
        btw, how's the peavey JSX amber channel (2nd channel) for metal rhythm playing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

But nothing really sounds like a Marshall..but a Marshall.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly!

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been doing alot of A/B'ing lately programming Sambencuda's Vetta. Mainly Marshall tones because thats what Jim is into. I agree with the above statement. My newly acquired Marshall 3203 Artist which to me sounds lot like a baby 2210 is 100% high gain Marshall tone. Its very difficult to get any amp I own, including the Vetta, to sound like a high gain Marshall. Therefore, my picks for the most HotRodded STOCK Marshall would be the 2210 and the 3203 because as of right now... they are the highest gain stock Marshalls I have ever owned or heard. There are probably more models too. The SLX I played for a few weeks was pretty nice. Jim uses a Solid State 8080 combo at band practice and we both agree that it sounds exactly like a Marshall. Its a fine amp.

Comment

hey kids, don't you know that classic marshall tone is DATED, who cares about that crap these days [img]/images/graemlins/sleep.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

E is right to a degree..The coolest sounding Marshall head John and I played was a modded old JMP..it was a bit beat and what mods were done wasn't clear..great tone..and enough gain to get by without stomps..but they wanted way too much money for something we didn't know what was not and in that condition.

I did that whole 2203 thing with TS9 , OD-1 , DS-1 , Metal Zones and etc in the front ..it was cool but I much prefer the smoothness of a 2210 ..total Criss Oliva / Van Halen tone without the use of stomps...I aways found "heads" to be inconsistant..one day they sound great the next say..WTF happened. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

and one thing I found..Stomps = Noise and sound a tad "cheezy"

Sometimes less is more..

To me, my Marshall Jmp-1 / 5881 loaded 9200 is the best and most consistant Marshall tone I've ever owned. I had quite a few early Marshalls , as my friends like John did..what I love about my rack ..I can dial up a major latter era Oliva (EOT) tone ..but edgier / Ballsier into Drover's territory..and in stereo like a "speak of the devil" kind of vibe..total "80's" ..but it's the best 80's marshall metal tone I've heard..and "NO STOMPS" or "Noise"..just a BBE 422 in the loop..which helps dramatically since Marshalls do seem to always lack in the low end department , but must be used n moderation...I prefer this more than the two MINT 2210s I traded for it..that's how much It impresed me Immediately ....it still does!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The closest thing to my Marshall tone as a grab and go Marshall head is the 2210..

I don't like to rely on stomps..the more crap you add to the mix the more inconsistancy you get IMO ..I like consistancy..plug in and go without constantly re-tweaking every time you move to a different room or whatever , almost daily..that robbed me of valuable "playing time"!!

So in a nutshell My favorite overall Marshall Tone . My rack BUT with 5881's..that seems to be the key and the BBE 422 helps it a bit as well.

I do admit I sold everything I owned to get into this set up which was very expensive at the time in '96..but it has remained loyal and made me a better player , because I finaly was able tp focus on playing instead of contant knob twiddlin' till blue in the face..I was chasin' my tail for years until I got this....that is why I can't part with it.

They make better quality gear for about the same money..but it just doesn't sound like an "authentic" Marshall to me..like this does....which I always loved....BUT you can buy these components for the 1/3 of the price now...which is cool!

Plus having a wall of FOUR Marhall 1960 B cabs stacked ...just looks fucking CLASSIC!! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I Love old Marshall heads , when you find a good one..problem is , they never seemed consistant IMO.. All mine sounded completely different...all the 800 series...from 2203s to 2210s to 900s..on a daily basis.

Now I just want to set and forget ..plug in and go..with as least amount of external BS possible.

I saw this from the very get go about 25 years ago ..My bud used evey exact peice of gear Eddie used back in the Day..Variacs , MXR shit , Echoplex ..everthing you can imagine and he played like him too which helps..but in hindsight..it was a friggin' noisey mess.

No need to go there again to achieve that tone..

For a Van Halen classic tone..nothing impressed me more than pluging straight into a VHT CL...it just had it ..the vibe , the tone , feel everything..and my ears,hands helped too..very warm , smooth and just "right". [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

John can get a very good version of classic VH with his rig.. on steroids..more girth and clarity..with CAE+/2150

Both our tatse in "tone" is always rooted in early VH but I want pummeling , tight "brutality"..My Uber Gives me that!

To me a 5150 and the classic VH tone is NOT even close..I don't hear any similiarities at all in those tones...His F.U.C.K albulm tone is NOTHING like his previous classic tones whatsoever..any similarity that is percieved is strictly his ear and hands.

SLOs come close ..but I think VHT's CL come much closer to a Marshall IMO..to my ears..they way I dial it up within minutes.

They way I judge ANY amp..it MUST give my that Tone..PERIOD...If I throw the inro to "Ain't Talkin' at it better throw back at be perfectly!!

Try that with a buzzy recto or DSL..Not going to happen...not with my hands....The Uber surely does..the gain is "smooth" and tight"..I can play VH all day with this bugger...it throws back excatly what I throw at it..I habe to play Cleaner too..it picks up all my nuences incling flaws...so I need to play much more articulate.!

But I can'r knock any amp such as recto since my favorite player Loomis works magik with them...But they don't cooperate with me..not a t all...Never did..and I jst tried one again not long ago...I don't get it! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

The amps I would be interested in trying would be the Powerball / Fireball , XXX , a JSX , a Herbert , and a Avenger...I would consider any of those ampos if they worked for me..if the JSX or Avenger worked better than the Uber for me..the Uber would be for sale today...but that hasn't happened yet...not in my face...not yet.

But when it does...I'll own it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I agree with Bill regarding the 5150. It doesn't remind me of classic VH tone at all. My general feeling is for a grab and go high gain hotrodded Marshall your best bet is the 2205/2210 for all tube and if you can live with a hybrid tube power and ss preamp you can look at the 3203.

Comment

Hey John Bro..what's up man ..

yeah my bud bought a little green 3203 back in '86..with matching 4 10" cab..I liked it..I guess he felt it wasn't "loud enough whe we jammed and ..got a 100 wt '82 White anniversary Marshall JCM 800 2 -12" combo instead which was a nice amp ..pretty LOUD..that's what he used with a Variac / Echplex / MXR ..he drop the voltage down to about 90 Volts where the tubes barely glowed..like a "brown out"..I guess that how that phrased was coined by alex , it NEVER harmed the amp at all..it was very authentic VH..it was an open back combo with two 65 wt Celestions in it..he never was content with the speakers tho...he was always changing them..he was silly! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Then in the VH tribute he just kicked ass with a JMP-1 and a Peavey 120/120 ...until he didn't want to carry that around so he got a Valvestate poweramp..which sounded liked a bad transister radio when cranked..I was pissed...I was like ..dude WTF did you do...your sound is all gone now..you like that???!!!

he was mad..but I told him the truth..it from aweome to horrible live [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

You can nail a clssic VH tone much closer with a 2210 / or JMP-1 / 9200 (5881s) w/o the need for stomps expect some delay in the loop and a phase 90 than a 5150..definitely..I had it all trying to Nail that sound!! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

5150..is a great metal amp for the cash..not a Van Halen amp ..I never heard his tone in that amp from day one..not even close to being Marshall like in any way..two different animals all together.
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I'm really digging the Soldano Hotmod in my 1980 JMP100 head. It took a bit to tweak it in (ironic considering the lack of stuff to adjust on an old Marshall). But subbing a 5751 in the V1 position made the gain much less compressed and open sounding. It really feels very similiar to my SLO, just warmer sounding with a little more "give".

My dream rig now is a two head set-up, this Marshall and an SLO with a head-switcher. Best of both worlds!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      and by the way, once more:

[ QUOTE ]
                      btw, how's the peavey JSX amber channel (2nd channel) for metal rhythm playing?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the XXX (which is essentially the same IMO, but argue away here) amber channel is fine IMO. There is more than enough gain, bottom end and mid adjustment for most tones.

Comment

Charvelguy, I'm going to be flying in to Minneapolis on November 1st on business and I'll be there until the morning of the 3rd. Anything cool going on during the evening while I'm there? I've never been there before and I don't know anyone aside from people in my company.
                        Sorry to hijack the thread but the system wouldn't allow a PM because your mailbox is full.

Comment

I'll have to check and get back at ya thru a PM. I'll clear a few more out.

Comment

Roccaforte HG100... so hot rodded the clean breaks up even with the preamp gain on 1! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Great sounding head, my friend has one.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Working...
                            X