Soldano Decatone / Avenger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldano Decatone / Avenger

My roommate owns a Decatone and I just recently picked up an Avenger and he wanted to hear it, so he invited me to come and sit in on his band's practice (which was a lot of fun since they're a very non-typical power metal band). We were running the Soldanos through a Carvin Legacy v30 loaded cab. He played through the Decatone with an ESP LTD EC-1000 w/EMG 85, I played through the Avenger with my Jackson SL2HT Chlorine w/EMG 85. We kept the EQing very simple (everything at noon) and played around with the gain mostly somewhere between 12:00 and 2:00. Avenger was at about 9:00 or 10:00 volume wise, Decatone I couldn't really tell (has a master and a channel volume). We were looking for metal tones and not really going for anything else.

-Both amps have that "Soldano" sound, voicing on both amps is either love it or hate it
    -Avenger seemed a lot darker and more brutal, whereas the Decatone was brighter and needed a bit more gain added in to keep up (but both amps seemed to have more gain than you'd ever need on tap). Both amps sound excellent and they compliment each other very well.
    -Avenger seemed to outvolume the Decatone without too much trouble
    -Both amps are ridiculously tight sounding through the Carvin Legacy cabs. There is absolutely no flubby low end or excessive rumbling / loose low end. This being said, both amps have excellent bass response and are very heavy sounding
    -The amp isn't forgiving; if your playing style is sloppy it shows and fast.
    -Open chords sound awesome, and power chords sound very, well, powerful.
    -Lots of sustain!
    -Leads sing out of both amps.
    -Decatone has more plugged in versatility with 2 great sounding channels (clean, overdrive) and the crunch channel really didn't do too much for us,
    -Avenger's low gain input enables you to basically unlock another whole set of completely different tones. Preamp gain knob is also really diverse on the high gain input (we didn't go much past 1:00-2:00 though)

My roommate liked the Avenger more than his Decatone, and was saying that he would really want to hear the SLO. I thought that it was pretty much dead even and liked both amps for slightly different reasons.

Hopefully we can get together again for another shoot out with some more gear.

Re: Soldano Decatone / Avenger

Very cool...Thanks!

Comment

Good comparison...cool [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I am glad you finally go that amp and you are liking it, thanks for the review.

Comment

I really would like to hear them next to an SLO too. Great review.

Comment

Just got back from practice with the thrash band. Since my JCM800 blew up last week I decided to bring the Avenger and play it through my 1960A/B fullstack. I was really worried with how it'd sound but with the gain between 5 and 6 it was easily pulling off that classic thrash sound. The amp's feedback is really easy to control (something I was a little bit worried about), and I didn't even need any noise gate to control it. Went up real well and with just a bit of EQing I was able to get the Avenger sounding exactly like my bandmate's JCM800 w/Soldano Hot Mod but with a tighter bottom end. Leads sounded a lot smoother and warmer compared to the JCM800.

I'm getting more and more interested in hearing how the SLO sounds.

Comment

I had a chance to compare the Mesa Road King and Decatone heads this past week. Rented them both and really took time and effort A/B'ing them.

I will be really short on Mesa: I was able to get a decent rithm sound on channel 3 and 4. It was not bad (very much Metalica or recent DT) while playing alone, but tended to sound a bit odd and 'behind' the rest of the band. I finally decided that I simply can't get the sound I like in the band situation with it.
              Solo sound - I absolutely positively was not able to dial the sound I liked. Not enough sustain, and I did not like to go over 3 o'clock for gain. It is arciculate, but does not have ... expression, cut, sounds rather dull?

Decatone - I plugged in and immidiately I was in sound heaven. I captured all the things I wanted: great rithm tone, lots of simply awesome lead tones. Singing, full, transparent - all of this comes to mind. Sounds great by itself, even better in a live band. Just hats of to Mike Soldano - I can't ask for much more. Only would like to compare it to the SLO. Overdrive channel - lots of sustain, just enough balance of dynamics/compression for great soloing. Each note in a chords is clear and rings through.

My regular rig: Marshal TSL. I actually love it and think it is a very good amp. It is more versitile than the Decatone, sounds great too. Not as... I don't know - 'heavenly'? as Soldano, but still very very good. Decatone sounds a bit different, you can't get say JCM800 sound on it, while you 100% can on the TSL. Lead on the TSL can hold its own even against Soldano.

Guitars: Jacksons (SLATQH/PAF, RR1/EMG89, SL2H/EMG81), Ibanezes AirNorton/ToneZone.

Style: rock and metal.

Verdict: I am on the market for a Decatone or an SLO - it is just amazing. There is no way I can get this sound on my Marshall. I am certainly not going to be persuing the Road King (really wanted to like it, the idea is just great).

Comment

Working...
              X